Question About Christian Theology

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Quaker Reason

Quaker Reason

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Science, History, Military, Computers, Roman History, Astronomy, Books, The Truth
  • Christian
  • Old Earth Creationist
  • Indiana

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

I was interested in going for a degree in theology one day, and I wanted to know some information from someone who's been to college.

How hard would a Master/Doctorate Thesis be to write? As far as I know, they purposely give you hard subjects just to prove you can write a book on a topic so small and linear.

What subjects would I learn about?

#2 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • florida

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:13 PM

lovely. i would so if called to be pastor etc.

#3 AFJ

AFJ

AFJ

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1625 posts
  • Interests:Bible, molecular biology, chemistry, mineralogy, geology, eschatology, history, family
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

What do you consider your general knowledge of the scripture? That's the most important thing. If you know why you believe what you believe, and you can back it with corresponding OT and NT scriptures, then you have a head start. Before I went to Bible College, I had read the Bible several times OT and NT. I also shared the word with others--thats what it is about--spreading the gospel. But I read slowly and prayerfully with the KJV and a Webster's dictionary. When I went to college, I aced all the Bible classes, because of my previous study. I did not go to seminary.

Remember that Peter, James, and John were not academic lawyers, they were fishermen with a call of God. But they gave themselves contintually to the word and prayer after Jesus' ascension and Pentecost.

I'm not putting down becoming a Greek or Hebrew scholar, the Lord is calling you to teach especially. But find how He has gifted you, and pray to begin working in your church towards that capacity. I personally think it's more important to have a close relationship with Christ, with a heavy reliance on the Holy Spirit, than on having head knowledge of what other systematic theologians think.
  • Salsa and JayShel like this

#4 JayShel

JayShel

Former Atheist

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Saved July 12, 2007

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:01 AM

... find how He has gifted you, and pray to begin working in your church towards that capacity. I personally think it's more important to have a close relationship with Christ, with a heavy reliance on the Holy Spirit, than on having head knowledge of what other systematic theologians think.

Even demons know that Christ is Lord, but they do not worship Him. Don't let knowlege puff you up, but let God's gift of knowlege help you to edify and build up His church and bring you closer to Him.

#5 MarkForbes

MarkForbes

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Waverley

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:36 AM

I think you first need to attend an institution that offers courses in the humanities (ancient languages, theology, sociology etc. ) for three to four years. You then would obtain an BA degree. After that you'd engage in postgraduate studies that then qualifies you for a research Masters.

Hard? Sure, but doable, if your interest is in that field.

#6 Quaker Reason

Quaker Reason

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Science, History, Military, Computers, Roman History, Astronomy, Books, The Truth
  • Christian
  • Old Earth Creationist
  • Indiana

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

I think you first need to attend an institution that offers courses in the humanities (ancient languages, theology, sociology etc. ) for three to four years. You then would obtain an BA degree. After that you'd engage in postgraduate studies that then qualifies you for a research Masters.

Hard? Sure, but doable, if your interest is in that field.

Humanities would be interesting and easy, I love Roman and Greek history.

#7 MarkForbes

MarkForbes

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Waverley

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:53 AM

Humanities would be interesting and easy, I love Roman and Greek history.

That should at least get you a suitable BA degree.
For the Masters and Doctoral Thesis you can calculate one to three years of research and thesis writing.
I start doing a Masters in an engineering field and calculated two years for research and writing the thesis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users