#1 Seeker25

Seeker25

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Somewhere, FA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

I'm curious what was Lyell's purpose on uniformatarian? According to wiki, he was a close friend of Darwin. He set out to disprove the Bible thorugh the belief of uniformatarian, that the present is the key to the past. But why would he do that? Does anybody familar with the historical document? This has always ponder my mind but haven't give a deep thought to it yet.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Charles_Lyell

#2 aelyn

aelyn

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:32 AM

Hi Seeker25,

As far as I can tell from the wikipedia page Lyell didn't come up with uniformitarianism, James Hutton did some fifty years earler. Lyell popularized it, and he did so before he even ever met Darwin.

I don't see it saying he adopted uniformitarism in order to disprove the Bible if that's what you mean; in fact it seems his book Principles of Geology is online, the word "Bible" doesn't appear in it once that I can see. I can't even find out anything about whether Lyell believed in God or not. It's pretty clear he didn't think the account of the creation of the world in Genesis was literally true, but I can't find anything about which came first, his espousal of uniformitarianism or his opinions on Genesis. Do you know of another source that talks about his beliefs in more detail ? If his correspendence is online for example that would probably answer your questions.

Darwin's letters to Lyell are online but they don't help much either. That said there does seem to be a book called "Life, Letters and Journals of Sir Charles Lyell, Bart". Maybe your local library has it ?

#3 jason777

jason777

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2670 posts
  • Interests:Machining, Engine Building, Geology, Paleontology, Fishing
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Springdale,AR.

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

Charles Lyell’s hidden agenda—to free science “from Moses”

0 user(s) are reading this topic