Tree Of Life....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Admin3_*

Guest_Admin3_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:36 PM

Tree of life is often used to describe Christ. But is it always used in God's word this way? It is mentioned 10 times in God's word. I will list all ten times so everyone can read it for themselves.

Ge 2:9 And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Ge 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Ge 3:24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Pr 3:18 She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her.

Pr 11:30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.

Pr 13:12 Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but when the desire cometh, it is a tree of life.

Pr 15:4 A wholesome tongue is a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit.

Re 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

Re 22:2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

Re 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

It's just interesting, so I thought I'd leave it for anyone who'd like to make a comment.

#2 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

Administrator / Forum Owner

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2480 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy going to Broncos games, my son's HS basketball & baseball games, and my daughter's piano & dance recitals. I enjoy playing basketball (when able). I occasionally play keyboards for my church's praise team. I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:33 AM

Interesting you should mention this, as one of my future posts to this forum was going to be on the Tree of Death, or specifically the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. In short, everywhere this tree is mentioned, death reigns. It's a symbol of the law, which kills.

Also, while the Tree of Life resides in heaven, the Tree of Death resides in hell. The Tree of Life is a symbol of grace, the Tree of Death a symbol of the law and death. An interesting contrast!

Fred
PS. I'll try to post on the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil within the week. I really think it's an interesting contrast, thanks for bringing this up!

#3 chance

chance

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Australia

Posted 18 April 2005 - 01:59 PM

An interesting list Admin3 , while most appear more or less in context with what I know about the tree of life, the

Re 22:2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

seems to be an odd one out (i.e. a combination of metaphor and actual).

Fred Williams this is the first time I have heard the quote “Tree of Death”, look forward to your explination.

#4 Guest_Admin3_*

Guest_Admin3_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:33 PM

Since this is a refernce to what is spiritual, the only way to explain it is in a spiritual sense.

1) on either side of the river- The river is a reference to the life giving water that flows from Christ. As shown in the verse before it: 1 And he showed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

2) tree of life- In spiritual context, a tree is whatever the person of God is. Now since this is a reference to what is in heaven, the tree would be a spiritual reference to Christ.

3) which bare twelve manner of fruits- The twelve fruits are a representation of the twelve tribes of Israel. God's people.

3) and yielded her fruit every month:- A representation of a continuing of baring of Good fruit. There is a seed time, and a harvest time (in the spiritual sense). And the tree of Christ is so productive, it bares fruit that is never ending.

4) and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.- Leaves can be a representation of healing. Leaves have the life blood of the tree in it. If you take a leaf and look at it, you can see veins, just like we have that our blood runs through. Just as it was in the last supper:

Luke 22:
19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.
20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

And christ also shed blood so we could be healed spiritually, as well as physically.

In refernce to number three, the twelve tribes are also mention at the last supper.

Luke 22:
30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

The last verse is also a representation that even God's chosen people are judged.

#5 Guest_Admin3_*

Guest_Admin3_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:41 PM

Tree of death:

Death by sin on a tree-
Deuteronomy 21:
22 And if a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he be to be put to death, and thou hang him on a tree:
23 His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day; (for he that is hanged is accursed of God;) that thy land be not defiled, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.

What happens when you par-take of this tree-

Ezekiel 31:
14 To the end that none of all the trees by the waters exalt themselves for their height, neither shoot up their top among the thick boughs, neither their trees stand up in their height, all that drink water: for they are all delivered unto death, to the nether parts of the earth, in the midst of the children of men, with them that go down to the pit.

1) trees by the waters exalt themselves- A spiritual representation of those who lead and produce fruit, but instead of exalting God for all they do, they steal God's glory and exalt themselves. These will also be those who will claim, at the judgement throne, of doing wonderful works for God, but God wil say: Depart from me.

2) for their height, neither shoot up their top among the thick boughs, neither their trees stand up in their height,- A spiritual representation of what pride does. They will exalt themselves to a level above all others.

3) all that drink water: for they are all delivered unto death, to the nether parts of the earth, in the midst of the children of men, with them that go down to the pit.- The living water of Christ does not flow from those who choose to do this thing. In their deception, they curse the water, and all those who par-take of it. The living waters of Christ cannot flow from a deception.

So the tree of death is actually someone who uses God's word to decieve themselves, and others.

#6 xdisciplex

xdisciplex

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Germany

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:48 PM

What do you think would have happened if Adam or Eve had somehow made it to eat from the tree of life after the fall? :lol:
Do you think they would have gained everlasting life in spite of their fallen state?
Undying sinners? :D

#7 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

Administrator / Forum Owner

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2480 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy going to Broncos games, my son's HS basketball & baseball games, and my daughter's piano & dance recitals. I enjoy playing basketball (when able). I occasionally play keyboards for my church's praise team. I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:18 PM

What do you think would have happened if Adam or Eve had somehow made it to eat from the tree of life after the fall?  :)
Do you think they would have gained everlasting life in spite of their fallen state?
Undying sinners?  :)

View Post

I suppose in a way death was a blessing for us, as it provided a way for God to pay the price Himself. Otherwise we would be seperated from God forever in our sinful state with no hope of redemption.

Fred

#8 Guest_Admin3_*

Guest_Admin3_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:27 PM

What do you think would have happened if Adam or Eve had somehow made it to eat from the tree of life after the fall?  :)
Undying sinners?  :)

View Post

Upon doing so, they would have become like satan and his fallen angels. Because they would have become eternal, and had sin (like satan and his angels), they would have been treated as such, and banished to hell fire.

Humans=not eternal+sin

Satan and the fallen angels=eternal+sin

If Adam and Eve ate from the tree of life=eternal+sin

There is only one place where eternal beings who sin can exist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users