• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bonedigger

Bonedigger

Admin Team

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Creation, Vertebrate Paleontology-particularly mammals and especially Perissodactyls & Carnivores, Hunting, Shooting, Handloading, Weaving Chainmaille, Hebrew and other Biblically relevant languages, Astronomy
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Colorado

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:51 PM

Hello,
I am new to this forum, but old to the Creation/Evolution debate. I thought I might give a brief autobigraphy as a background for any posts I might make.
I was "born again" (gave my life to Jesus) in my sophomore year in high school in 1981, having grown up in the Lutheran church with a Lutheran pastor for a grandfather. In around 1984, I was working with a man who knew I was a Christian, and he prided himself on being "intellectual", as it were, and made a comment about "After all, aren't we all supposed to be descended from apes?" Well, of course, I responded with "No", but it bothered me that I didn't really have a substantial response. That night, I stopped at the local Christian bookstore, and bought Duane Gish's 1983 book, "Evolution, The Challenge of the Fossil Record." From that point on, I was hooked on the whole debate. As a child, I had had a passion for prehistoric mammals and dinosaurs, as well as astronomy, so it didn't take much to rekindle those interests. I spent the next several years studying Vertebrate Paleontology on my own (from every resource I could gather), and taking classes at my local community college (to get all of the core curriculum garbage out of the way). From there I transfered to the local state college (which at this point I would prefer not to name because there is a (slight) chance I may continue my education, and, once something is posted in cyberspace, it's there forever), where I pursued a degree in Vertebrate Paleontology. I filled my curriculum with every class I could find related to VP (PaleoBiology, Paleontology of Lower Vertebrates, Paleontology of Higher Vertebates, Mammalogy, Primate Paleontology, Comparative Anatomy of Vertebrates, etc., so much so that my course advisor once complained that I should save some of those classes for my next degree), and graduated with distinction in 1998. During my senior year, I won the local "Outstanding Student" award from the local geologist association. At the award banquet, my mentor commented that it was the second year in a row that a "Bonedigger" had won the award. That is the reason for my fondness for the "Bonedigger" username I have selected for this forum. After that, I decided to take a year off to rebuild my funds before continuing my education towards a master's degree, and, as the saying goes, "Life is what happens while you're making other plans". It is now fourteen years later, and I see little prospect of continuing my formal education. Nevertheless, I am well versed in Vertebrate Paleontology, as well as my schedule will allow anyway. Please DON'T ask me about the latest newspaper article/claim. I don't get my science from the latest newspaper hyperbole, or the BBC propoganda chann...er...Discovery Channel.
Bonedigger
P.S. I will be updating my profile settings when I get the chance.

#2 Calypsis4

Calypsis4

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts
  • Christian
  • Midwest, USA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:51 AM

Hello,
I am new to this forum, but old to the Creation/Evolution debate. I thought I might give a brief autobigraphy as a background for any posts I might make.
I was "born again" (gave my life to Jesus) in my sophomore year in high school in 1981, having grown up in the Lutheran church with a Lutheran pastor for a grandfather. In around 1984, I was working with a man who knew I was a Christian, and he prided himself on being "intellectual", as it were, and made a comment about "After all, aren't we all supposed to be descended from apes?" Well, of course, I responded with "No", but it bothered me that I didn't really have a substantial response. That night, I stopped at the local Christian bookstore, and bought Duane Gish's 1983 book, "Evolution, The Challenge of the Fossil Record." From that point on, I was hooked on the whole debate. As a child, I had had a passion for prehistoric mammals and dinosaurs, as well as astronomy, so it didn't take much to rekindle those interests. I spent the next several years studying Vertebrate Paleontology on my own (from every resource I could gather), and taking classes at my local community college (to get all of the core curriculum garbage out of the way). From there I transfered to the local state college (which at this point I would prefer not to name because there is a (slight) chance I may continue my education, and, once something is posted in cyberspace, it's there forever), where I pursued a degree in Vertebrate Paleontology. I filled my curriculum with every class I could find related to VP (PaleoBiology, Paleontology of Lower Vertebrates, Paleontology of Higher Vertebates, Mammalogy, Primate Paleontology, Comparative Anatomy of Vertebrates, etc., so much so that my course advisor once complained that I should save some of those classes for my next degree), and graduated with distinction in 1998. During my senior year, I won the local "Outstanding Student" award from the local geologist association. At the award banquet, my mentor commented that it was the second year in a row that a "Bonedigger" had won the award. That is the reason for my fondness for the "Bonedigger" username I have selected for this forum. After that, I decided to take a year off to rebuild my funds before continuing my education towards a master's degree, and, as the saying goes, "Life is what happens while you're making other plans". It is now fourteen years later, and I see little prospect of continuing my formal education. Nevertheless, I am well versed in Vertebrate Paleontology, as well as my schedule will allow anyway. Please DON'T ask me about the latest newspaper article/claim. I don't get my science from the latest newspaper hyperbole, or the BBC propoganda chann...er...Discovery Channel.
Bonedigger
P.S. I will be updating my profile settings when I get the chance.

Welcome aboard, bonedigger. Happy posting!

#3 Calypsis4

Calypsis4

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts
  • Christian
  • Midwest, USA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:52 AM

P.S. I am eager to see what you have to say about 'transitional' fossils and comparative anatomy.

#4 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5316 posts
  • Interests:Completed BBiotech (Honours)

Currently studying Masters of Teaching.

Enjoys games of tactics and strategy.
  • (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

Welcome to the forum, great to have you aboard :D

#5 aelyn

aelyn

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

Welcome Bonedigger, I hope you enjoy yourself here !
Like Calypsis I look forward to seeing your views on vertebrate paleontology :)

#6 Stripe

Stripe

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Rugby, cricket, earthquakes.
  • Christian
  • Taipei, Taiwan.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:48 PM

Hi. :D

#7 Bonedigger

Bonedigger

Admin Team

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Creation, Vertebrate Paleontology-particularly mammals and especially Perissodactyls & Carnivores, Hunting, Shooting, Handloading, Weaving Chainmaille, Hebrew and other Biblically relevant languages, Astronomy
  • Christian
  • Colorado

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to posting whenever I feel I have something relevant to contribute. Posted Image

#8 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6983 posts
  • Christian
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to posting whenever I feel I have something relevant to contribute. biggrin.png

You found some relevant things to contribute :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users