ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:02 AM

This is simple if you know about computers. But might be hard for the novice.

You first have to have a flash drive that you can dedicate to be used and not removed unless you are going to reverse what I'm going to tell you. The flash card has to have at least 700 megs free. You will be using about 500 megs of that. If you have a really fast connection, then you might want to get a fast flash drive. Yes flash drive come in different speeds.

But first try the slow one you may have lying around and see if it will work to your satisfaction. This way you don't spend any money if you don't have to.

1) Plug in drive and note the drive letter that is issued to it by windows. Mine happens to be drive I and says removable disk in my computer.
2) Go into the control panel and click on Internet options.
3) Under browsing history, click on settings.
4) Where it says: move folder, click that.
5) Where it says: removable drive, click that and click ok.
6) Then click ok all the way out. It will tell you that it needs to log off to make changes, click ok.

When you log back on, the changes will have been made. This little tweak sped up my download by 100k and more. As much as 300k from some sites.

How it works is that the hardrive is no longer an issue when you are downloading. Using a flash drive is like the download going into ram memory instead of hard drive cache. Which means no delay in receiving downloading information. Pages will even load faster.

Now there is another tweak you can do using this in another place. But I would not recommend it unless you are computer knowledgeable (can fix almost anything).

But you change you windows cache to use either the same flash drive, or another one. Two would probably make it even faster because it would separate the two functions.

Anyway, you put the windows cache folder into the flash drive, you have to turn off the cache in all other drives to make it work. You can select for windows to determine cache size, or manually set it. If you manually do it set it to about 500 megs.

After clicking ok on everything there, you will have to restart the computer for the changes to take effect (it should ask you to do this if you did it right).

Now the reason I did not go step by step on this one is because if you don't know where you windows cache is, you don't need to be doing this. But it will speed a few things up in windows. If you have a really fast cpu, it will feed the information to it as fast as it can take it, instead of how fast the hard drive can feed it. Which means a lot of normal operations will really speed up.

I'm not responsible if you do the second tweak and it crashes windows. If you know what you are doing, it won't happen. If you don't, it might.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users