Codex

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • New York

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:19 PM

Hello all, my name is Chris and I'm 30 years old. I have 1 year old son named Matthew (he's in the picture under my username) and one more on the way (due in August!). I have a masters degree in computer science and I minored in evolutionary biology. I work as a software/firmware engineer for a small manufacturer of fiber optic test and measurement equipment and I love all things science and technology. I decided to join this community because I feel evolution is amazing and I believe I understand the theory very well and I know there is a lot of misinformation out there. As far as my religious beliefs I come from a Catholic family but I do not follow any religious organization currently. I believe in God, but I define God as an unknown entity. I don't think humans know or understand God. The reason I believe in God is because at the end of the day, as much as we learn through science, the question will always be "Why are we all here and where did we come from"... I am talking origin of the universe/everything type stuff here, I don't think there is a conceivable answer that does not invoke magic, and I consider that "magic" entity that is the "uncaused first cause" to be God.

Anyways, that's a bit about me, I look forward to getting to know you guys and I sincerely hope that the site lives up to it's subtitle ("civil discourse on the question of origins"). See you in the forums!

#2 Calypsis4

Calypsis4

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2118 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Midwest, USA

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:16 PM

Hello all, my name is Chris and I'm 30 years old. I have 1 year old son named Matthew (he's in the picture under my username) and one more on the way (due in August!). I have a masters degree in computer science and I minored in evolutionary biology. I work as a software/firmware engineer for a small manufacturer of fiber optic test and measurement equipment and I love all things science and technology. I decided to join this community because I feel evolution is amazing and I believe I understand the theory very well and I know there is a lot of misinformation out there. As far as my religious beliefs I come from a Catholic family but I do not follow any religious organization currently. I believe in God, but I define God as an unknown entity. I don't think humans know or understand God. The reason I believe in God is because at the end of the day, as much as we learn through science, the question will always be "Why are we all here and where did we come from"... I am talking origin of the universe/everything type stuff here, I don't think there is a conceivable answer that does not invoke magic, and I consider that "magic" entity that is the "uncaused first cause" to be God.

Anyways, that's a bit about me, I look forward to getting to know you guys and I sincerely hope that the site lives up to it's subtitle ("civil discourse on the question of origins"). See you in the forums!

Welcome, Codex.

Gee, you're a handsome fellow.

#3 Codex

Codex

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • New York

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

Ah, if only I was as handsome as my son, but on his behalf I thank you!

#4 Calypsis4

Calypsis4

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2118 posts
  • Christian
  • Midwest, USA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

Ah, if only I was as handsome as my son, but on his behalf I thank you!

Cute kid. Again welcome aboard.

I should probably warn you, however, that theistic evolutionists normally don't fare well on this board. But if you present your arguments with documentation,
don't get offended at the other posters who differ with you, and you're careful with your wording you should do fine. The board mod's will respect that.

I am an ex-theistic evolutionist myself.

Best wishes.

#5 Codex

Codex

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • New York

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

Thank you, I've noticed this already and feel I am already on the chopping block... it's disturbing that part of the rules of the forum, as stated by one of the mods, prevent me from presenting my opinions and beliefs about evolution. To me this only serves to silence anyone on my side of the issue, and as you stated I have noticed that we don't last long, but I have also noticed that the "reasons" that most of us are banned are completely unreasonable.

Did you know that it is part of the rules of the forum (again, as stated by one of the mods) that I must only consider macro evolution as a hypothetical? I do not consider it a hypothetical, that is not what I believe, so I am literally not allowed to state my belief here according to this mod. If that's actually the case and I am not simply misunderstanding him then I won't be around much longer, by my own choosing.

If that does occur I would regret not saying that it was nice to (briefly) meet you!

#6 JayShel

JayShel

Former Atheist

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Saved July 12, 2007

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

Hi, welcome to the site. Wow I see you have been quite busy, 21 posts in one day. I am glad you are finding some good discussions to become involved in.

#7 Codex

Codex

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • New York

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

I am indeed, and I am particularly looking forward to discussing things with you, as your posts have stood out in my mind as particularly intelligent and insightful. As a former atheist I am sure you are aware of most of the conventional arguments for evolution and an old earth and everything else so this should be very interesting. Cheers!

#8 JayShel

JayShel

Former Atheist

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Saved July 12, 2007

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

I would be happy to discuss things with you, however I ask you to be patient since I don't have a huge amount of time. Thankfully there are others here that can help you as well.

#9 Calypsis4

Calypsis4

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2118 posts
  • Christian
  • Midwest, USA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

Here is the post I am talking about:

This is disturbing because it is not disengenuous, it is what I believe... I am forbidden to state my belief here according to this.

I see these rules as merely an excuse to get rid of people who support evolution, and I have seen evidence of this occuring when investigating the demise of most evolutionist posters in the past, and it's a shame. Unless I am very mistaken here, there can be no civil discourse on this forum about evolution for anyone who believes in it, which is the stated goal of the forum...

Ron cuts it close. But most of the time he is dead on target. Again, support your positions with evidence and not mere opinion without substance and you should be O.K. IF you cannot do that they you might reconsider your position on the matter as I did as a theistic evolutionist years ago. Best wishes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users