#1 Jeff Wilhelm

Jeff Wilhelm

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Butler, PA

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:45 PM

Creation or evolution? Evolution or Creation?

I am a disgruntled high school biology teacher who has TAUGHT evolution for 36 years. I am also a born-again Christian, just recently reborn.

I am disgruntled because of the LIES I have been teaching all my adult life. WHY DID I TEACH LIES? Simple - I did not know they were lies. I had been taught about evolution by others, many of whom may not have known they were teaching lies. I assumed evolution to be true, since it was part of my education.

I want to tell you how and why I quit believing in evolution. For the sake of the approximately 3, 500 students I taught wrongly, I apologize and ask their forgiveness. I should have done my homework earlier in my career.

My rebirth came about by study and asking myself 2 questions:

Could Genesis, especially chapters 1-11, literally be true?

What happens when I die?

I had been contemplating the origin of life for years as part of my biology study and teaching. I had mostly been focusing on the origin of life after the Earth had been formed, and I taught the traditional information as presented in modern high school biology texts. I never really gave much thought to the origin of the Earth. While doing some research for a power point presentation on the Big Bang to give to my classes, I was amazed and appalled at the "bad" science that was used to explain the origin of time, matter, energy, and the natural laws. Some of the "science" was pure speculation - it was not science at all.

I then started to research some of the so-called "icons" of evolution. The evolution of the horse. Embryologic development. The peppered moth. The Stanley Miller experiments. My amazement grew. I was very perplexed. How could the biology books publish outright lies and pass them off as truth? I thought I must be missing something. The sources I was using must have been wrong. Surely real scientists believed the information in the text books.

I had also been contemplating death. My wife's father had Parkinson's disease and we were helping my mother-in-law care for him three days a week. It was so discouraging to see his week by week decline. I started to wonder and worry about what happens when we die?

Up to this time I considered myself a Christian. I was a good guy. I loved my wife, took care of my kids, loved my pet cat, never killed anyone - the whole works.

My father-in-law died. Will he go to heaven? I wondered. As far as I knew, he did not believe in heaven nor in hell. He believed that when you died you were dead. Period. End of story.

Earlier that year my wife brought home a copy of Creation magazine from Answers in Genesis. The magazine dealt with science from a completely different perspective than I was used to. In my mind I had always separated science and God. God was what I thought about in church or when someone died or when I had a reason to pray. SCIENCE was what made the world go round. Objective. Factual. Non-biased. Always striving for the Truth. Measurable. Verifiable. Science has all the answers! I thought. I subscribed to the magazine. I thought it would give me some ammunition in my arguments with my born-again biology teacher friend Bob who was always touting Creation.

I thought Bob was a little freakish. How could a science teacher believe in a six-day creation? Maybe theistic evolution, but CREATION? Get real.

Both of these revelations came to a head when our Creation Magazine subscription came with an invitation to a week-long mega creation conference to be conducted by the Answers in Genesis ministry and held at Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA. . The conference was in the middle of July and I thought my wife and I could go and learn some things. I thought the conference might interest her, since she is an RN and had been in my ear for about 5 years about God and salvation. There was an impressive array of REAL SCIENTISTS and I thought it would be interesting to hear what they had to say. My friend Bob lives in Atlanta and he was also going to be there.

Needless to say, the conference was where I had my rebirth. The 2 questions I had been contemplating and losing sleep over had been answered.

There WERE real scientists who were actively engaged in REAL research and they were also bible scholars. They showed that there WAS another way to look at the evidence. They showed that IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE EARTH WAS CREATED IN ONLY SIX DAYS!

There was also a presenter who spoke on "What happens when you die?" I sure found the answer to THAT question.

So, on July 22, 2005 @ 11:00ish a.m. I decided to give my heart to Christ.

Jeff Wilhelm

#2 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:11 AM

A very interesting story.

Here is a link that may better help you understand how creation works and why the physical time-line looks different from the Biblical time-line.

http://creationwiki...._about_eternity

Also, a sin done knowingly makes it a sin as said in this verse:

James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

Which also means the opposite applies. Which means that if you did not know, then you are innocent. For how can a person be condemn for all eternity of a sin he knew not of? That would be an unjust judge making an unjust decision. God will know from what is in your heart, whether you are innocent of not knowing.

#3 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Administrator

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts
  • Christian
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:53 PM

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for joining us. And thanks for that awesome testimony. I hope you have enjoyed the forum so far and find time to participate and add your thoughts here.

I'm still contemplating our encounter up at the bike trail and how awesome God is when it comes to divine appoints, just like the one you had almost exactly four years ago! Happy Birthday! :)

I was talking to some of the guys and gals here about our encounter. Even though I've been a believer for 14 years, I didn't come to a knowledge of creation and young earth understandings until about three years ago myself.

Would you mind starting a thread on one or two of your favorite scientific arguments from a biological perspective for why creation is superior or more evidence based than evolution?

Adam

#4 Jeff Wilhelm

Jeff Wilhelm

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Christian
  • Butler, PA

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:50 AM

Would you mind starting a thread on one or two of your favorite scientific arguments from a biological perspective for why creation is superior or more evidence based than evolution?

Adam

I'm not sure if this is where I reply to this question or not. I'm a complete newbie to posting on blogs - I'm usually a lurker.

If this is the wrong place to make this reply, forgive me.

I would be happy to discuss what I think are the most important evidences for creation.

I also think that tons of new evidence doesn't matter. Looking for the latest science to confront evolutionists with won't make much difference. I know that in my own conversion, it wasn't NEW evidence that swayed me - it was looking at the OLD evidence in a new way.

In fact, unlimited evidence for creation can be presented to an evolutionist. They can bend and fold the theory to disregard the new material anyway that they want to - I did it in my classes for a very long time. Earlier in my career there was a much freer, healthier, honest discussion of evolution and creation in the science classroom. Looking back, I realize that many of the honors students had a good background in creation. I thwarted them all by using the rubber band theory of evolution. The theory that can explain anything with no evidence or by twisting evidence, or by postulating a clever explanation that can't be tested.

I used to chide my creationist science teacher friend Bob about creation - calling it magic. He tried to convince me for 35 years that evolution was wrong. No matter how much creation evidence he presented to me I could easily dismiss it - because of my feelings about evolution as science and creation as magic. The bible was a book of interesting stories - nothing else.

As others on this forum have pointed out - evolutionists and YEC's have the same evidence. How they INTERPRET the evidence comes from their worldview. An evolutionist will disregard practically any evidence as coming from a "flat earther" or "non-scientist," or - you know the disparaging terms.

Many people respond to things by their feelings rather than by critically examining the facts. That is what I did, anyway. My FEELINGS about the validity of the science and the "hocus pocus" aspect of creation affected my thoughts.

To turn others to Christ by using abundant, new evidence for creation is almost like trying to convince a smoker to quit smoking. A smoker won't quit smoking until his feeling about smoking change. Likewise, it seems to me, at least, an evolutionist won't change until his feelings about the evidence change. Christ didn't convince everyone with his miracles. We won't convince others with evidence. We have to change their way of looking at the evidence.

Jeff

#5 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Administrator

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts
  • Christian

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:01 AM

Amen, brother. :)

#6 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:10 PM

I find that in most cases, it's which life style you want to live by is which interpretation of the evidence a person will accept.

The term free thinker is really saying: I want a free life style. Because both sides require some thought control. So they really cannot claim there is absolute free thinking involved.

#7 CTD

CTD

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2059 posts
  • Christian
  • Missouri

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:57 PM

Thanks Jeff, for taking the time to post. This is the very best kind of news.

#8 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:56 AM

I also think that tons of new evidence doesn't matter. Looking for the latest science to confront evolutionists with won't make much difference. I know that in my own conversion, it wasn't NEW evidence that swayed me - it was looking at the OLD evidence in a new way.

View Post

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for your testimony, your time and your insight. I find a great correlation with the above quote and my own conversion. The only difference being that my own came from the Historical documentation evidence that supports the New Testament. I also had a revelation, if you will, from an understanding of Genesis 1 - 11.

It wasn't until after my non-theistic belief system was shaken, that I realized how wrong evolution had to be when it ran head long into Genesis 1 - 11.

#9 the totton linnet

the totton linnet

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Friends, fellowship, stuff
  • Christian
  • Winchester, Hampshire

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:41 AM

Creation or evolution? Evolution or Creation?

I am a disgruntled high school biology teacher who has TAUGHT evolution for 36 years. I am also a born-again Christian, just recently reborn.

I am disgruntled because of the LIES I have been teaching all my adult life. WHY DID I TEACH LIES? Simple - I did not know they were lies. I had been taught about evolution by others, many of whom may not have known they were teaching lies. I assumed evolution to be true, since it was part of my education.

I want to tell you how and why I quit believing in evolution. For the sake of the approximately 3, 500 students I taught wrongly, I apologize and ask their forgiveness. I should have done my homework earlier in my career.

My rebirth came about by study and asking myself 2 questions:

Could Genesis, especially chapters 1-11,  literally be true?

What happens when I die?
I had been contemplating the origin of life for years as part of my biology study and teaching. I had mostly been focusing on the origin of life after the Earth had been formed, and I taught the traditional information as presented in modern high school biology texts. I never really gave much thought to the origin of the Earth. While doing some research for a power point presentation on the Big Bang to give to my classes, I was amazed and appalled at the "bad" science that was used to explain the origin of time, matter, energy, and the natural laws. Some of the "science" was pure speculation - it was not science at all.

I then started to research some of the so-called "icons" of evolution. The evolution of the horse. Embryologic development. The peppered moth. The Stanley Miller experiments. My amazement grew. I was very perplexed. How could the biology books publish outright lies and pass them off as truth? I thought I must be missing something. The sources I was using must have been wrong. Surely real scientists believed the information in the text books.

I had also been contemplating death. My wife's father had Parkinson's disease and we were helping my mother-in-law care for him three days a week. It was so discouraging to see his week by week decline. I started to wonder and worry about what happens when we die?

Up to this time I considered myself a Christian. I was a good guy. I loved my wife, took care of my kids, loved my pet cat, never killed anyone - the whole works.

My father-in-law died. Will he go to heaven? I wondered. As far as I knew, he did not believe in heaven nor in hell. He believed that when you died you were dead. Period. End of story.

Earlier that year my wife brought home a copy of Creation magazine from Answers in Genesis. The magazine dealt with science from a completely different perspective than I was used to. In my mind I had always separated science and God. God was what I thought about in church or when someone died or when I had a reason to pray. SCIENCE was what made the world go round. Objective. Factual. Non-biased. Always striving for the Truth. Measurable. Verifiable. Science has all the answers! I thought. I subscribed to the magazine. I thought it would give me some ammunition in my arguments with my born-again biology teacher friend Bob who was always touting Creation.

I thought Bob was a little freakish. How could a science teacher believe in a six-day creation? Maybe theistic evolution, but CREATION? Get real.

Both of these revelations came to a head when our Creation Magazine subscription came with an invitation to a week-long mega creation conference to be conducted by the Answers in Genesis ministry and held at Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA. . The conference was in the middle of July and I thought my wife and I could go and learn some things. I thought the conference might interest her, since she is an RN and had been in my ear for about 5 years about God and salvation. There was an impressive array of REAL SCIENTISTS and I thought it would be interesting to hear what they had to say. My friend Bob lives in Atlanta and he was also going to be there.

Needless to say, the conference was where I had my rebirth. The 2 questions I had been contemplating and losing sleep over had been answered.

There WERE real scientists who were actively engaged in REAL research and they were also bible scholars. They showed that there WAS another way to look at the evidence. They showed that IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE EARTH WAS CREATED IN ONLY SIX DAYS!

There was also a presenter who spoke on "What happens when you die?" I sure found the answer to THAT question.
So, on July 22, 2005 @ 11:00ish a.m. I decided to give my heart to Christ.

Jeff Wilhelm

View Post

Thanks Jeff, that is really encouraging. :lol:

#10 Arch

Arch

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Australia

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:36 PM

Hi again Jeff,

I didn't realise you were the man Adam caught up with while bike riding. It will be interesting talking with you :o

Is there any chance you would elaborate on what it was specifically that changed your views? Was there any one piece of evidence you viewed with new eyes that made you click?

Regards,

Arch.

#11 Jeff Wilhelm

Jeff Wilhelm

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Christian
  • Butler, PA

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:36 PM

Is there any chance you would elaborate on what it was specifically that changed your views? Was there any one piece of evidence you viewed with new eyes that made you click?

Regards,

Arch.

View Post

Sure, Arch - but it wasn't just one thing.
I listened to some lectures by a professional geologist about the uncertainty of radioactive dating - all the assumptions that had to be made and all the discrepancies of any dates.

This same geologist then talked about the Grand Canyon, its formation, the bending and folding of rocks, the geologic column, etc.

I listened to a lecture by a professional cargo ship consultant who did a feasability study on the Ark.

I listened to a Hebrew scholar who went over Genesis Ch 1 and the meaning of the Hebrew words for day, etc.

I listened to a molecular biologist discuss the mechanism for the bombadier beetle.

I listened to a professional astronomer discuss the big bang, dark matter, comet age and formation, the unique position of earth in the universe and some other unique physical properties that make life possible.

I listened to a lecture by a medical professor (who taught anatomy and physiology to doctors) explain what happens in the fertilization of a human egg by a sperm cell and all the complex mechanisms that have to be in place for the egg to implant in the uterus.

This same man lectured on the anatomy of the human eye and ear - the complexity that has to work in sync, etc.

I listened to an anthropologist talk about our hominid ancestors.

I listened to a paleontologist talk about dinosaurs.

This was at a week-long conference at Liberty University.

What happened was that I realized that there was a different way to look at the evidence. It was the SAME evidence that I knew so well - I just realized that creation WAS possible. Not true, necessarily, but possible.

The clincher for me was a presentation about death - what happens when you die? How do you know?

Boy! What if evolution is NOT true? What if creation IS true? Creation seemed possible. Evolution seemed like it was not possible, depending on the way I looked at the evidence.

If I died not accepting Christ as my savior I was doomed, if creation was true.
If creation was false, I was not worse off. I would still live a good life. (You don't have to be a Christian to live a good life - I lived that way before being a Christian. In fact, i was often accused of being a Christian when I wasn't.)

So Arch, it wasn't any ONE thing other than the fact that creation seemed possible. This led to a heavy-duty study of the bible and a change in my worldview.

Jeff

#12 Arch

Arch

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Australia

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:05 PM

Sure, Arch - but it wasn't just one thing.

View Post

I thought that would probably be the case :o
Sounds like an interesting bunch of lectures. I wouldn't mind attending something similar.

I listened to a Hebrew scholar who went over Genesis Ch 1 and the meaning of the Hebrew words for day, etc.

View Post

I think there's a very similar conversation going on in one of the forums here, but I don't think it's reached a conclusion yet. What is the significance of this meaning?

I listened to a molecular biologist discuss the mechanism for the bombadier beetle.

View Post

Oooh, I haven't heard this one yet. Care to enlighten us?

What happened was that I realized that there was a different way to look at the evidence. It was the SAME evidence that I knew so well - I just realized that creation WAS possible. Not true, necessarily, but possible.

View Post

Interesting. Would I be correct is saying logically you think either scenario could be correct, but your choice is to believe the Biblical account?

In fact, i was often accused of being a Christian when I wasn't.

View Post

Hehe, funny that. I've had the same thing :D

Regards,

Arch.

#13 Jeff Wilhelm

Jeff Wilhelm

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Christian
  • Butler, PA

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:47 PM

I thought that would probably be the case :)
Sounds like an interesting bunch of lectures. I wouldn't mind attending something similar.
I think there's a very similar conversation going on in one of the forums here, but I don't think it's reached a conclusion yet. What is the significance of this meaning?
Oooh, I haven't heard this one yet. Care to enlighten us?
Interesting. Would I be correct is saying logically you think either scenario could be correct, but your choice is to believe the Biblical account?
Hehe, funny that. I've had the same thing :)

Regards,

Arch.

View Post

I don't know if this is allowed to not or if it's good blog etiquette, but here is a link to an explanation of what I heard about the bombardier beetle.

Answers in Genesis

I used to think the evolution scenario was correct until I studied it. I was a kool-aid drinker and repeated the rhetoric without examining it from a Christian perspective.
Now that I have closely examined both sides, ir's clear to me the Christian view is correct.

I don't think it is possible (my opinion - others will disagree) - to make a decision about creation or evolution until you have examined both sides. Many people just dismiss one or the other without knowing what is wrong with it. Many Christians are cllueless about evolution and verse visa.

I have a problem with Christians who profess their faith but don't know why they do so. I often ask them - "Why are you a Christian?" Their answer is "I've always been a Christian." I see children being baptized when they are 5 years old. They can repeat the mantra of being a Christian, but they don't understand.

I am willing to die for my faith because I understand why I believe what I believe.

#14 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Administrator

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts
  • Christian

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:02 PM

Jeff, you're doing fine. If you want to be sure though, the forum rules are pretty short and common sense:

http://www.evolution...forum_rules.htm

Links are great but to link something as a rebuttal without at least a cursory knowledge of its content is disallowed. This helps keep cut & paste spammers out of conversations and off the forum. :)

#15 Arch

Arch

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Australia

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:49 PM

Thanks for the link Jeff, I'll give it a read shortly.

I think you've nailed a very important point with this line:

"Many people just dismiss one or the other without knowing what is wrong with it. Many Christians are clueless about evolution and verse visa."

Regards,

Arch.

#16 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Administrator

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts
  • Christian

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:34 AM

I split a thread from here to keep Jeff's testimony from be hijacked. ;)

http://www.evolution...?showtopic=2598

#17 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:11 PM

I split a thread from here to keep Jeff's testimony from be hijacked.  :)

http://www.evolution...?showtopic=2598

View Post

Thanks Adam :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users