• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, computers, physics, video games, philosophy, epistomology
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • USA

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:24 PM

(NOTE: This post may be setting up a strawman fallacy calling 'liberal' Christians anti-10 commandments for society)

I recently met a Christian who considered themselves very "liberal". I assume they mean this in the context of political ideologies... I am also assuming based on things they've said they're anti- ten commandments for society (my possibly bad judgement) I didn't ask them...

liberal vs, conservative/ (free vs. under law????). and not the American form of Government video and traditionally defined definition of political parties:

What is a Republican Form of Government?
http://www.wisegeek....-government.htm

Some info on polital party
http://www.thefreedi...emocratic Party

So there are 2 contexts possibly of the term "liberal"
2 different methods of defining political party/agenda.

A. Level of governent control. (See American form of government on youtube)
B. Where your treasure is – ideologies - conservative vs. liberal

I'm confused about their POV and would like to understand it....

My question is: what are they standing on?

My beliefs for psychology are as follows (possibly flawed)
1. Your a slave to whoever controls you
2. Beliefs play a role in determining your actions
3. Your treasure is where your heart is?

My personal political beliefs I do not wish to share at this time,

Maybe for a topic we could use hunting...

Please, if possible, give free books, websites or other references that show their POV.
I also realize that U.S. political parties weren't always the same (mean the same thing) as today-- if possible when you post please do your best to explain the context

thanks for your time, with rspect... r.

#2 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:13 AM

(NOTE: This post may be setting up a strawman fallacy calling 'liberal' Christians anti-10 commandments for society)

I recently met a Christian who considered themselves very "liberal". I assume they mean this in the context of political ideologies... I am also assuming based on things they've said they're anti- ten commandments for society (my possibly bad judgement) I didn't ask them...

liberal vs, conservative/ (free vs. under law????). and not the American form of Government video and traditionally defined definition of political parties:

What is a Republican Form of Government?
http://www.wisegeek....-government.htm

Some info on polital party
http://www.thefreedi...emocratic Party

So there are 2 contexts possibly of the term "liberal"
2 different methods of defining political party/agenda.

A. Level of governent control. (See American form of government on youtube)
B. Where your treasure is – ideologies - conservative vs. liberal

I'm confused about their POV and would like to understand it....

My question is: what are they standing on?

My beliefs for psychology are as follows (possibly flawed)
1. Your a slave to whoever controls you
2. Beliefs play a role in determining your actions
3. Your treasure is where your heart is?

My personal political beliefs I do not wish to share at this time,

Maybe for a topic we could use hunting...

Please, if possible, give free books, websites or other references that show their POV.
I also realize that U.S. political parties weren't always the same (mean the same thing) as today-- if possible when you post please do your best to explain the context

thanks for your time, with rspect... r.

There are Christians who believe none of the 10 commandments apply anymore. I have gotten into a few debates with them when I used to debate at another Christian forum.

They are standing on the idea the "everything" in the old covenant no longer applies. You can point out verses in the new covenant showing they are wrong, but they just ignore such things.

When Christians put denominational teaches between themselves and the word they will always get it wrong. The word always corrects a teaching, it does not conform to denominational interpretation.

#3 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

the purpose the of the law today is to be a standard. there is one command the gentile need not follow.

the sabbath. i will go into that after i reasearch why that is a bit more and what the original purpose of that command is.

since most of church is gentiles the law was given to the jews as both a sign to be HIS people and also a way to be holy. the law wasnt meant to change nor inspire faith from the get-go. you agreed to that standard after believing in the YHWH. see the book of deutermony and the whole torah

but lets look quickly into the tanakh i have and see..from quick glance to the my tanakh.

the sabaath was given to the children of isreal as means of rest and also to set us apart from the nations.its symbolic of gods rest and a day to praise the lord and sing songs.hmm

and lets see what jesus did for us. doesnt paul say that when we enter into christ we enter into HIS rest?hmm

i wonder..

#4 supamk3speed

supamk3speed

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Texas

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

I was wondering how a christian could be liberal when abortion is such a huge part of their beliefs. I can't understand the excuse of free choice. Should we make murder legal for the purposes of free choice? Also, in my opinion I would think God would count you as an abortionist for using your choice to side with the freedom to murder children. Not trying to throw the thread off track, but I have always wondered about this.

#5 rico

rico

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Christian
  • USA

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

I was wondering how a christian could be liberal when abortion is such a huge part of their beliefs. I can't understand the excuse of free choice. Should we make murder legal for the purposes of free choice? Also, in my opinion I would think God would count you as an abortionist for using your choice to side with the freedom to murder children. Not trying to throw the thread off track, but I have always wondered about this.

Thanks for the comments I think the formal name for this is "Liberal Christianity"

#6 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:04 PM

The purpose for the law today is the same as it always has had. It is for people to realize that they can't possibly keep it and therefore are in need of God, our Savior.

#7 rico

rico

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Christian
  • USA

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:33 PM

The purpose for the law today is the same as it always has had. It is for people to realize that they can't possibly keep it and therefore are in need of God, our Savior.

Here is an example: http://www.christian...s.com/t7616092/

"What It Means to be A Liberal Person of Faith"
http://www.huffingto..._b_1137877.html

Who is the Authority? This is scary to say but it reminds me of like This Present Darkness book and Frank P. telling about the new age movement....

We can go to pray about it. For me I go by 1st John 4:2 KJV when judging documents.
2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

#8 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:38 PM

the law is fulfilled per the death and no, god didnt give the law and then expect us not fulfill it.

the law was for a season. its a standard when it applies to us all save the parts that are fulfilled.

why would god give moses a command that he cant keep?

its was always by faith one came to god not by the law

hebrews 11 supports that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users