• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Philly

Posted 03 December 2006 - 03:59 PM

Posted Image

According to geologist Chimney Rock is about 28 million years old. Of course there is one problem. It is eroding.
According to the Nebrasks State Historical Society Chimnet rock is currently about 120 feet high and has lost about 30 feet in the last 150 years.

At that erosion rate one would think it would have been long gone millions of years ago. Heck, tens of thousands of years ago.

Then again maybe it’s not as old as some people claim.

#2 Guest_Vision in Verse_*

Guest_Vision in Verse_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:56 AM

Posted Image

At that erosion rate one would think it would have been long gone millions of years ago.  Heck, tens of thousands of years ago.

View Post

How do you know its original size? How do you know the rate is constant per century?

#3 trilobyte

trilobyte

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Philly

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:00 PM

Maybe I should use the evo technique...that is, what happens today is the key to the past.

Of course I don't think it could have been a whole bunch taller. It then probably could not have supported its own weight. Or do you think otherwise?

Then again I'm sure it was surrounded with dirt to a level higher than it is now...spreading out for miles in all directions.

#4 Guest_Vision in Verse_*

Guest_Vision in Verse_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:49 AM

Of course I don't think it could have been a whole bunch taller.  It then probably could not have supported its own weight.  Or do you think otherwise?

The biggest mountain we know that can support itself is Everest. The rate of erosion changes with the climate. I'm too lazy to apply this to this situation because I don't think it's important. You're welcome to though.

#5 MRC_Hans

MRC_Hans

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • Denmark

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:28 AM

The Chimney Rock is said to be 28 myear old, but it is not said to have looked like that for all that time. Presumably, the chimney part spent most of the time in the core of a mountain, and only recent erosion phenomena gave it tis present shape (where it is likely to be eroded away completely in another few thousand years).

Hans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users