Photo

How To Get Your Xp Running Like It Did New...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:08 AM

When defrags are done, the system files are not defrag because files in use cannot be defragged. So system files just become more and more currupt in windows xp.

The cure for this is to do what's called a repair reinstall. This type of reinstall does not require you to delete everything on your computer. It just deletes, and reinstalls system files and allows all other programs to stay as they were.

Side note: The only only programs that this system might mess up are programs that are actually system dependent. Like a after market system defragger. etc... I have almost 100 programs on mine, and only 2 get messed up. All I have to do is reinstall them.

So here is how you do the reinstall. There is two ways. For those who don't know much about computers, here's the easy way.

1) Insert your xp cd.
2) When window with selection comes up. Select install windows xp.
3) On the next screen select to upgrade.

The rest is automated. It will ask for xp id number. This will be written either on your pc like a bar code sticker. Or if you bought xp on cd, it will be on your cd case. The number has to be exact.

For the more advanced user:

1) Put cd in drive.
2) Exit out of any windows that pop up.
3) restart your pc.
4) If your pc is set for cd boot up. You will get a message that says: press any key to boot cd. Press space bar and wait for cd to fully load which takes about three minutes. Don't worry about the message that ask if you have a raid driver. Only special computers have a raid.

5) When the first screen come up, it will say: Press R to repair, or enter to continue. You press enter.
6) The pc will ask you to press F8 to agree to Microsofts stuff. Press F8
7) The next screen will show all hard drives. Most computer only have one. You highlight the one that say windows xp. If it is already highlighted, you just press "R". The repair install will start.
8) The next screen it will say deleting files. Not to worry. It's only deleting system files to be reinstalled.
9) The process here is automated. At one point it will ask for xp id.

Side note: If you happen to go into a area not mentioned above. And there are advanced area to do other type repairs. Just hold down the control-alt-delete keys at the same time. And pc will restart and you can try again.

Don't select what is not mentioned above. You can delete your whole drive if you do.

When done your pc will run faster because xp files are newly installed.

Warnings: If you have sp2 on your computer, and a old version of xp (sp1) on your cd. I don't recommend trying this because sometimes it won't boot after. But if your cd matches the installed version (sp2 cd, and sp2 computer), then you won't have any problems.

If this is to confusing, don't try it.

#2 jason78

jason78

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1349 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Birmingham, UK

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:29 AM

When done your pc will run faster because xp files are newly installed.

View Post

Another good way of clearing up your system so that it runs faster (without all that tedious mucking about with your system cd and product key), is to defragment your system files.

While the defragmenting tools in XP can't do this for you, Microsoft recently aquired Sysinternals that do provide this function.

http://www.microsoft...PageDefrag.mspx

This tool will defrag your page files and system registry giving you a performance boost if your files are fragmented. This should be a lot safer than a re-install and shouldn't mess up any of your installed programs either.

And just to echo Ikester's warning, If you have any doubts as to what you are doing: Get a professional in to do it!

#3 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:52 PM

Another good way of clearing up your system so that it runs faster (without all that tedious mucking about with your system cd and product key), is to defragment your system files.

While the defragmenting tools in XP can't do this for you, Microsoft recently aquired Sysinternals that do provide this function.

http://www.microsoft...PageDefrag.mspx

This tool will defrag your page files and system registry giving you a performance boost if your files are fragmented.  This should be a lot safer than a re-install and shouldn't mess up any of your installed programs either.

And just to echo Ikester's warning,  If you have any doubts as to what you are doing: Get a professional in to do it!

View Post

Maybe you are misunderstanding what page files are.

I read through what it said on that page. I did not see where it said that "actual system files" get defrag. It said that page files (virtual memory), and registry (program setings) are defrag.

Virtual memory is a section set aside on your hard drive to act like actual ram memory, but is slower than ram. It can contain some system files. But actual system files that get loaded with every boot is in the windows folder. The windows folder contains not only windows itself, but all drivers for your hardware. And drivers for your programs that are installed.

The files in this folder are what's called locked files. They are locked for two reasons. One is so it can resist viruses. And the other is to make the system more stable, and keep certain files from being deleted.

Disk keeper 10 defragger actually installs a windows service (a program that runs with windows) that unlocks these files to be defrag. It using IO technology which makes it not make your windows crash while these files get defragged.

A free defragger that does the samething you can get here: http://www.iobit.com/

It's the last program on that page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users