• Newcomer
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Poole, Dorset, UK.

Posted 09 April 2005 - 05:01 AM

Hi Folks,

I'm new here and this topic may have been covered elsewhere! I'm sure you'll let me know!

To give some background - I was brought up as Christian. I still think he was a good teacher. More and more however, the gulf between Him and Christianity, and the gulf between Christianity and Churches, becomes very obvious.

Also the evil that is done in the name of religion the world over repels me. I don't pick on one religion - there are bad/evil people who claim to be of a religion but still continue, knowing full well their hipocrisy.

How many wealthy religious people building bigger & bigger walls to hold back the tide of the worlds poor & dispossessed?

On to the Ark question(s)...

I have been fascinated by natural history since a child, amazed by the variety and beauty.

If there has been no evolution since "The Flood", how big would the Ark have to be to carry 2 of each species.

(That's ignoring the interbreeding problems that arise! What competent stock farmer would attempt to breed a healthy flock from 2?)

So, take each species (that's just those stuck on the land - the airborne & waterborne
look after themselves, I suppose) get their dimensions (length, width, height, weight), multiply by 2 (male & female), add all the species together, then add all the food required.

Has anyone done a rigorous analysis of this?
Any links you could send me?

All the best,
Simon

#2 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

Administrator / Forum Owner

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2467 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy going to Broncos games, my son's HS basketball & baseball games, and my daughter's piano & dance recitals. I enjoy playing basketball (when able). I occasionally play keyboards for my church's praise team. I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 10 April 2005 - 07:56 AM

Also the evil that is done in the name of religion the world over repels me. I don't pick on one religion - there are bad/evil people who claim to be of a
religion but still continue, knowing full well their hipocrisy.

View Post

Is this God’s fault, or man’s fault? Sadly, but not surprisingly, many have misused Christianity to justify their evil actions, but they are in for a big surprise on judgment day:

Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!' (Matt 7:22-23)

While it is true that many bad things have been done in the name of religion, the carnage from atheistic societies whose worldview is built upon evolution, such as Nazism and communism, is far greater (the body-count from the last century alone was far greater than all wars from previous centuries combined). That being said, since “the evils done in the name of religion” is typical fare from the skeptic handbook, we won’t debate this in this forum (see pinned topic on forum “purpose”).

If there has been no evolution since "The Flood", how big would the Ark have to be to carry 2 of each species.
…
Has anyone done a rigorous analysis of this?

I believe this is the most common strawman argument I hear from skeptics related to the Bible, though to be fair many of the well-traveled evolutionists admit this is a strawman and don’t use it. So again this is outside the scope intended for this forum. Here is a link to answer your question:

www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v19/i2/animals.asp

Regarding the problem of “interbreeding”, you are assuming the genetic load was already a problem, an assumption you can’t prove. From a Biblical POV, the genetic load would have been very low before the flood (i.e. before the flood man could live to 900+ years). Many don’t realize that God as recorded in the Bible did not outlaw incest until many generations after the flood when the load likely was approaching dangerous levels.

A thorough account of virtually ever topic related to the ark is covered in Woodmorappe's book, "Noah's Ark, a Feasibility Study".

Fred

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users