Mole troll. AKA dbs944

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Respectfully Withheld

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:19 PM

I didn't know about this movie until today. It definitely looks like one worth seeing.

http://www.amazinggr...e.com/index.php

#2 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

Administrator / Forum Owner

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2480 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy going to Broncos games, my son's HS basketball & baseball games, and my daughter's piano & dance recitals. I enjoy playing basketball (when able). I occasionally play keyboards for my church's praise team. I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:18 PM

I didn't know about this movie until today.  It definitely looks like one worth seeing.

View Post

My wife and I saw this movie tonight and thought it was very good. (No spoilers of any substance below). It's a historical account of William Wilberforce's crusade against the British slave trade. Wilberforce was a very dedicated Christian with moral integrity, and the movie does a fairly good job of portraying this.

The liberal filmmakers though were unable to fully keep their bias out of the movie, as they were sure to emphasize in the trailer at the end of the movie how Wilberforce also fought against cruelty to animals, and for social reform in education and healthcare. Sure sounds like liberal causes! However, it doesn't seem to jive with the facts based on my admittedly brief research of the man after I got home. It is true he expressed himself against cruelty to animals, but this is really only a "liberal" issue when carried to the extreme of "animal rights" (I personally find PETA to be one of the most repugnant groups on the face of the earth, but I digress. :blink:) Now on the later two (education and healthcare), I could not find anything on health care, and only a brief reference to his support for 'Sunday' education for all children, hardly a liberal cause. The ending trailer also failed to mention that Wilberforce’s' biggest passion next to the slavery issue was a campaign against the moral vices of society, and promoting missionary work to places like India and Africa!

Wilberforce also made some comment very early in the movie that "water has been around for a million years", but I missed the context, it happened so fast and I seriously was just getting into my seat after the wife begged for some popcorn! :)

Anyway, except for a few brief "liberalisms" such as mentioned above that will somewhat annoy the mindful conservative, overall it was a very good movie that I would recommend.

Fred

#3 deadlock

deadlock

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1196 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Rio de Janeiro

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:00 PM

It´s not the movie but I recommend this DVD recorded by the greatest Keybordist in the world. "Amazing Grace" by Rick Wakeman

#4 The Debatinator

The Debatinator

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Christian
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:20 PM

Wakeman is awesome and so is Yes itself. Is Wakeman a Christian possibly? I know it's a very common song but many organists have had their beginnings in the church.

PETA= people eating tasty animals.

#5 deadlock

deadlock

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1196 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Rio de Janeiro

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:55 AM

Wakeman is awesome and so is Yes itself.  Is Wakeman a Christian possibly?  I know it's a very common song but  many organists have had their beginnings in the church.
PETA= people eating tasty animals.

View Post

Yes, Wakeman is Christian and I have bought the DVD.It´s really very good, it´s about the most traditional hymns.

#6 falcone

falcone

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • Scotland

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:42 PM

Hey, I agree with you! Yes were an excellent band, I've seen them live several times. Wakeman is also an exceptional pianist. He does a regular radio show here in the UK.

Yes he is a Christian, and is quite private about his faith. He's been around the block and has worked with a number of people. Did you know he worked briefly with Black Sabbath in 1973?

#7 deadlock

deadlock

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1196 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Rio de Janeiro

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:50 PM

Hey, I agree with you! Yes were an excellent band, I've seen them live several times. Wakeman is also an exceptional pianist. He does a regular radio show here in the UK.

Yes he is a Christian, and is quite private about his faith. He's been around the block and has worked with a number of people. Did you know he worked briefly with Black Sabbath in 1973?

View Post

His son Adam is playing with them.

#8 de_skudd

de_skudd

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1518 posts
  • Interests:reading, learning, talking and stuff
  • no affiliation
  • Creationist
  • North Augusta, SC

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:40 PM

I didn't know about this movie until today.  It definitely looks like one worth seeing.

View Post

An excellent movie, to be sure... I've sence enjoyed Facing the Giants, Flywheel and Fireproof... I recommend all four...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users