Mole troll. AKA dbs944

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Respectfully Withheld

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:15 AM

Some might already have noted this verse but I only discovered this gem yesterday. The verse in question says “From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.” (The disciples referred to here are not the twelve apostles, but others of the large crowds who followed Jesus during his ministries.)

This verse comes right after Jesus explained to the multitudes what it would take to earn salvation. Many didn’t like what they heard and decided to reject Jesus and went home. They found it easier to follow an earthly existence than to work for eternal, spiritual salvation.

What makes this verse unique? It’s John 6:66! The very verse (written down well before the book of Revelation) which shows people rejecting Jesus for the world of man has the number 666. Furthermore, there is no other Chapter 6, verse 66 anywhere else in the New Testament.

To me this is further evidence the Bible is the inspired word of God.

#2 jason78

jason78

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1349 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Birmingham, UK

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:50 AM

Some might already have noted this verse but I only discovered this gem yesterday.  The verse in question says “From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.” (The disciples referred to here are not the twelve apostles, but others of the large crowds who followed Jesus during his ministries.)

This verse comes right after Jesus explained to the multitudes what it would take to earn salvation.  Many didn’t like what they heard and decided to reject Jesus and went home.  They found it easier to follow an earthly existence than to work for eternal, spiritual salvation.

What makes this verse unique?  It’s John 6:66! The very verse (written down well before the book of Revelation) which shows people rejecting Jesus for the world of man has the number 666.  Furthermore, there is no other Chapter 6, verse 66 anywhere else in the New Testament.

View Post

I didn't think salvation was earned, but freely given to all men?

#3 D R

D R

Mole troll. AKA dbs944

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Christian
  • Respectfully Withheld

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:24 PM

I didn't think salvation was earned, but freely given to all men?

View Post

You are right, it is freely given. However freely given is not the same as freely earned. How many gifts have you received in your lifetime (birthday, Christmas) which are “still in the box”? In other words, someone gave you a gift which you decided you had little use for.

Salvation is freely given. Unfortunately far too many decide they have little use for it and “leave it in the box".

So how do you earn salvation, freely given? Simply reach out and pick it up (accpet Christ as you Lord and Saviour and thank him for the sacrifice he made on the Cross for all mankind.)

Please don't get hung up on the semantics.

#4 chance

chance

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Australia

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:31 PM

You are right, it is freely given.  However freely given is not the same as freely earned.  How many gifts have you received in your lifetime (birthday, Christmas) which are “still in the box”?  In other words, someone gave you a gift which you decided you had little use for.

Salvation is freely given.  Unfortunately far too many decide they have little use for it and “leave it in the box".

So how do you earn salvation, freely given?  Simply reach out and pick it up (accpet Christ as you Lord and Saviour and thank him for the sacrifice he made on the Cross for all mankind.)

View Post

Wonderful ‘birthday’ analogy D R, one of the best I’ve read in a long time, defiantly a keeper.

I would be interested what other Christians place on the significance 6.66, bit of a “yes, but, well perhaps,” IMO.

#5 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:20 PM

Some might already have noted this verse but I only discovered this gem yesterday.  The verse in question says “From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.” (The disciples referred to here are not the twelve apostles, but others of the large crowds who followed Jesus during his ministries.)

This verse comes right after Jesus explained to the multitudes what it would take to earn salvation.  Many didn’t like what they heard and decided to reject Jesus and went home.  They found it easier to follow an earthly existence than to work for eternal, spiritual salvation.

What makes this verse unique?  It’s John 6:66!   The very verse (written down well before the book of Revelation) which shows people rejecting Jesus for the world of man has the number 666.  Furthermore, there is no other Chapter 6, verse 66 anywhere else in the New Testament.

View Post

Yes, there is a lot of proof that mere men could not have wrote it. But those who choose not to believe won't believe even if God were to show Himself. The perfect example is what the people did while Moses was getting the ten commandments. After all of the miracles they actually saw. They still choose not to believe.

So what was God doing showing this example? To show that you can waste an enormous amount of time on trying to save someone who is not remotely interested. And that even so they will use the excuse that if God showed Himself, they would believe. They would still question whether someone spiked their drink if it actually happened.

Just like the preacher-doctor who invited several doctors to one of his sermons. Three showed up. All three were atheists. During the prayer time at the end of the sermon, a little girl came forward to have prayer about her leg which was shorter than the other. During prayer the leg actually grew. Those doctors were on the front row and saw the whole thing.

So while prayer was still going, the preacher walk up to each one and asked them: Do you believe now? 2 Said no. And 1 said yes and got saved. The two that said no, he asked them why, because they had seen a miracle. They said they were not interested in worshiping any God regardless of what just happened :) .

What this shows is that some people don't want truth, don't care about truth, even if they see it. They will still deny it. This is why we have a time waster forum rule at this forum. Once we see someone not really working towards any goal of truth. And they are evo babble arguements, Red herrings, etc... We deem them as wasting our time, and the time of our members. After a warning, they get booted.

#6 de_skudd

de_skudd

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1518 posts
  • Interests:reading, learning, talking and stuff
  • no affiliation
  • Creationist
  • North Augusta, SC

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:09 AM

You are right, it is freely given.  However freely given is not the same as freely earned.  How many gifts have you received in your lifetime (birthday, Christmas) which are “still in the box”?  In other words, someone gave you a gift which you decided you had little use for.

Salvation is freely given.  Unfortunately far too many decide they have little use for it and “leave it in the box".

So how do you earn salvation, freely given?  Simply reach out and pick it up (accpet Christ as you Lord and Saviour and thank him for the sacrifice he made on the Cross for all mankind.)

View Post

I was going to reply to that post, until I read a little further down and saw your post here… Excellent answer.

The question posted reminds me of Revelations 3:20-22. The visitor can knock all day, but, until the resident of the house takes the action of answering the door, the gift goes un-given.

The only earning the Believer can do, is in the acceptance of the gift….

#7 the totton linnet

the totton linnet

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Friends, fellowship, stuff
  • Christian
  • Winchester, Hampshire

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:40 AM

I'm not sure that Jn6v66 is a saved/lost reference it says many of his disciples drew back and no longer went about with Him. Look at the church through the ages, is it not the case that the many come to a certain place in their discipleship and say oops "this is a hard saying, who can listen to it?" and the warmth with which they were converted cools somewhat, they no longer attend prayer meetings or certain meetings like bible study or discipleship meetings but still they are saved and in the church. Indeed they make up the bulk!
So we think once they went away were left the 12 [probably a few more] but as to the reference to 666 look at who was among the 12 who did NOT go away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users