ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 24 February 2007 - 05:29 AM

Old earthers claim that the earth was a molten mass, and then cooled off. Problem is, how do all the different kinds of rocks form from a molten mass?
Attached File  untitled.jpg   2.69KB   89 downloads

Lava rock looks like the picture above. Which is cooled off molten rock. Now how do we get all the different type rocks from molten rock from early earth

Is there an evolution process for rock too?

#2 jason78

jason78

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Birmingham, UK

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:17 AM

Old earthers claim that the earth was a molten mass, and then cooled off. Problem is, how do all the different kinds of rocks form from a molten mass?
Attached File  untitled.jpg   2.69KB   89 downloads

Lava rock looks like the picture above. Which is cooled off molten rock. Now how do we get all the different type rocks from molten rock from early earth

Is there an evolution process for rock too?

View Post

Geology has plenty of explanations for the way rocks erode and change over time. It's not exactly evolution, but there are documented geological processes.

#3 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:57 AM

Geology has plenty of explanations for the way rocks erode and change over time.  It's not exactly evolution, but there are documented geological processes.

View Post

Is there a evolution type process tree?

Like:
1) rock starts out molten.
2) Then becomes this type of rock.
3) Then this rock.

And then be able to prove it?

#4 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:35 AM

Ok, I make it easier to start off. What was the first type of rock to exist upon the earth as it cooled? Is it the one I pictured, or was it something else?

#5 Greyhound

Greyhound

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • London

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:50 AM

Is there a evolution type process tree?

I'm not sure anyone would call it evolution.

Like:
1) rock starts out molten.
2) Then becomes this type of rock.
3) Then this rock.

And then be able to prove it?

View Post

Upto a point, yes. Although it goes without saying that science doesn't attempt to prove anything.

The type of igneous rock you get is mostly dependent on how long it took to cool down. I'll give you another example from the area where I grew up - Dartmoor. This used to be a volcanic region and there are vast underground deposits of granite. On the tops of the hills where weathering is greatest the granite protrudes out of the ground - these are locally known as 'tors':

Posted Image

Since the granite was exposed to the elements it has been weathered (it rains a lot in this part of the world, the soil is pretty acidic and it gets pretty cold) to produce 'ball clay'. Hydrothermal activity underground also conspires to kaolinise granite into 'china clay'. Granite itself is composed of quartz, feldspar and biotite. What you will also find on top of the tors is a lot of finely ground up quartz - it's sand. Compress that (and a little feldspar) and you have sandstone.

#6 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:00 AM

A process over time as rock formation goes. Would help determine which rocks where around, in the largest percent, in which periods of time.

This type of knowledge would help determine how acidic the surroundings were. What kind of problems, or benefits there were to plant life that tried to grow in each time era.

And this would also determine how the rock layers were made. Thus how the geologic column came about.

If the rock formation over time supports the geologic column formation, would not that be a plus to the evolution theory? And would worth a look into be science?

Or could it be that rock formation timeline does not support the geologic column at all? For how do you get the same layers of rock, if rock formation is a gradual thing and the rocks change over time?

#7 chance

chance

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Australia

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:39 PM

I’m not certain I understand the question but I would think the basic ‘geological evolutionary’ process went something like this:

a. Earth forms (molten) (lighter materials float to the top)
b. Earth cools (erosion can now begin) (the structure is one of continental mass floating on magma)
c. Erosion creates sedimentary rock (older layers are below younger layers) (continual process to the present)
d. Recycling/disturbance occurs by the movement of the continental plates.
e. Other process interspace this erosion. (Mountain formation, volcanic activity, comet/meteorite impact, life).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users