Geezer

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Judaism Orthodox
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • 3rd Rock from the Sun

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:38 AM

King David as a boy felt it was his duty to slay the giant Goliath when the Israelite army was too afraid to do so.
It is written that David had ultimate faith in G-d and went and chose 5 smooth stones and then went to meet Goliath.
My question is, if David had true faith, why would he pick up 5 stones instead of just 1?

I have some thoughts on this and I will share them. First, however, I would like some other opinions on the subject. Have any?
Thanks

#2 Guest_The Deacon_*

Guest_The Deacon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:37 AM

That is a good question.

I think it possible that David, although he was certain of the victory, was not certain of the details of it so he picked up 5 stones instead of just one. It is also possible that he considered only one stone and rejected the idea because that might be seen as putting the Lord to the test, or as arrogance on his part.

#3 Geezer

Geezer

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Judaism Orthodox
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • 3rd Rock from the Sun

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:01 PM

I used to believe the story in a similar way. However, one night when I was doing some serious study, it just suddenly came to me. So I did some more searching and studying.

2sam 21:16 And Ishbibenob, which was of the sons of the giant, the weight of whose spear weighed three hundred shekels of brass in weight, he being girded with a new sword, thought to have slain David.

2sam 21:18 And it came to pass after this, that there was again a battle with the Philistines at Gob: then Sibbechai the Hushathite slew Saph, which was of the sons of the giant.

2sam 21:20 And there was yet a battle in Gath, where was a man of great stature, that had on every hand six fingers, and on every foot six toes, four and twenty in number; and he also was born to the giant.

2sam 21:22 These four were born to the giant in Gath, and fell by the hand of David, and by the hand of his servants.

1chron 20:4 And it came to pass after this, that there arose war at Gezer with the Philistines; at which time Sibbechai the Hushathite slew Sippai, that was of the children of the giant: and they were subdued.

1chron 20:6 And yet again there was war at Gath, where was a man of great stature, whose fingers and toes were four and twenty, six on each hand, and six on each foot and he also was the son of the giant.

Goliath had 3 brothers and a father still living! Could it be David was so confident and faithful to G-d that he picked up a stone for each remaining giant just in case they wanted revenge?

Also, later David and Johnathan took out the remainder. Again David was faithful to the L-rd's word.

Any thoughts on any of this?

#4 Guest_The Deacon_*

Guest_The Deacon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2005 - 01:38 PM

I used to believe the story in a similar way. However, one night when I was doing some serious study, it just suddenly came to me. So I did some more searching and studying.
Goliath had 3 brothers and a father still living! Could it be David was so confident and faithful to G-d that he picked up a stone for each remaining giant just in case they wanted revenge?

Also, later David and Johnathan took out the remainder. Again David was faithful to the L-rd's word.

View Post

Why not? But have we any indications that David, the keeper of sheep, knew anything about Goliath beyond his defiance of the Lord and the armies of Israel?

On another note. Ishbibenob wasn't well named was he? Ishbi-benob can mean respiration, conversion, or taking captive. None of which applied to him after running foul of David.

#5 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

Administrator / Forum Owner

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2467 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy going to Broncos games, my son's HS basketball & baseball games, and my daughter's piano & dance recitals. I enjoy playing basketball (when able). I occasionally play keyboards for my church's praise team. I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 13 April 2005 - 01:47 PM

View Post

Hmm, Interesting topic, I like both Deacon’s and Geezer’s answer. I wonder if David used those same remaining stones to kill the rest? I wonder if he sent Goliath’s relatives a note that said something like “I have a rock with your name on it” :)

Deacon’s answer reminds me of this cartoon:

Posted Image

Sorry I could not be of more use to this thread! :)

Fred

#6 chance

chance

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Australia

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:03 PM

I wonder if he sent Goliath’s relatives a note that said something like “I have a rock with your name on it” :)

View Post

You owe me a new keyboard.
chance staggers off to the tea room for some paper napkins :)

#7 Guest_Admin3_*

Guest_Admin3_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2005 - 04:48 PM

Just curious about something. Why are dashes used in the names of God and Lord (G-d, L-rd)?

#8 Guest_Admin3_*

Guest_Admin3_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2005 - 04:56 PM

View Post

I heard a sermon on this where the pastor said it was because David knew he would probably have to kill the whole family. You see back in those times they had laws where it was an eye for an eye etc... And it would have been within the right of the family to obtain vengence against David. In fact, they actually had a city they would more or less banish someone to it because was considered a safe place for someone who actually killed someone else, but did it because there was no choice. This was to keep the eye for an eye thing from happening. Because it could continue until both families were wiped out. So the people came up with the idea of a safe place to banish someone to actually protect them and both their families. They were not allowed to leave that place, and the other family was not allowed to enter it for vengence.

#9 Guest_The Deacon_*

Guest_The Deacon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2005 - 05:50 PM

These are the cities of refuge, assigned according to tribe:
Hebron, Libnah, Shechem, Gezer, Golan, Beeshterah, Jattir, Kedesh, Hammothdor, Kartan, Ramoth, and Mahanaim.

Generally speaking the fugitive was to remain in the city. If found outside it and killed there was no guilt. However, when the current high priest died an amnesty was granted and the fugitive could return home.

#10 Geezer

Geezer

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Judaism Orthodox
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • 3rd Rock from the Sun

Posted 14 April 2005 - 07:23 AM

“I have a rock with your name on it”

Good one, Fred!

#11 Ray Martinez

Ray Martinez

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 April 2005 - 11:09 AM

King David as a boy felt it was his duty to slay the giant Goliath when the Israelite army was too afraid to do so.
It is written that David had ultimate faith in G-d and went and chose 5 smooth stones and then went to meet Goliath.
My question is, if David had true faith, why would he pick up 5 stones instead of just 1?

I have some thoughts on this and I will share them. First, however, I would like some other opinions on the subject. Have any?
Thanks

View Post

In addition to the other replies answering this question (all good and valid), the reason David gathered 5 stones is because the number five in Scripture is the number of grace.

David is the type of Christ and by His grace He will slay all the Goliaths in our lives IF we trust Him by faith.

RM

#12 Geezer

Geezer

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Judaism Orthodox
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • 3rd Rock from the Sun

Posted 14 April 2005 - 01:05 PM

In addition to the other replies answering this question (all good and valid), the reason David gathered 5 stones is because the number five in Scripture is the number of grace.

David is the type of Christ and by His grace He will slay all the Goliaths in our lives IF we trust Him by faith.

RM

Christians use numerology? I thought it was sort of forbidden. Am I wrong?

#13 Guest_The Deacon_*

Guest_The Deacon_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2005 - 01:23 PM

You are not wrong. Although there are several numbers that do have significance, we do not hold them in special esteem. Some people do, to be sure, but comes too close to several areas that I personally don't want any part of.

But in this:

Mr. Martinez is quite correct.

#14 Geezer

Geezer

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Judaism Orthodox
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • 3rd Rock from the Sun

Posted 14 April 2005 - 01:24 PM

Whew!
Thanks, Deacon