Gidday

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rjw_*

Guest_rjw_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:07 PM

Hi All,

A bit rude of me to join, argue with a few folk, then introduce myself several weeks later. Sorry. But I only came across this particular forum this morning.

I am 57, slipping towards 58, divorced, but with four children and four and a half grandchildren. I'm a software engineer who likes to garden, read, do some star-gazing and enjoy the company of family and friends.

Was born and bred into the church (Methodist) and was quite active in it until around the age of 20 when I became agnostic in my beliefs. Later on, I felt it more accurate to describe myself as an atheist.

I have always been interested in ideas - philosophy, science, history, and still retain a keen interest in theology.

My main passion is the creation/evolution debate and I probably spend too much time on these boards. They are far, far too addictive. :)

Anyway, that is a brief introduction, so back to the arguing. ...

Regards, Roland

#2 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:39 PM

Hi All,
A bit rude of me to join, argue with a few folk, then introduce myself several weeks later.  Sorry.  But I only came across this particular forum this morning.

I am 57, slipping towards 58, divorced, but with four children and four and a half grandchildren.  I'm a software engineer who likes to garden, read, do some star-gazing and enjoy the company of family and friends.

Was born and bred into the church (Methodist) and was quite active in it until around the age of 20 when I became agnostic in my beliefs.  Later on, I felt it more accurate to describe myself as an atheist.

Welcome to the forums. Just have a few questions.

How do you get born and bred into a church? Both of my parents did not go to church, but I did. Which means I choose Christ by choice. Do you actually think that every Christian has to be brain washed to believe? You have been sold a bill of goods that is a lie if you believe this.

I have always been interested in ideas - philosophy, science, history, and still retain a keen interest in theology.

My main passion is the creation/evolution debate and I probably spend too much time on these boards.  They are far, far too addictive.  :D

Anyway, that is a brief introduction, so back to the arguing. ...
Regards, Roland

View Post

Yeah, the subject is addictive to debate. And it can also get boring when you done it for a few years as I have. Because the arguenemts get repeated, and so do the answers. Most non-believers would agree from their side as well.

#3 Guest_rjw_*

Guest_rjw_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:12 AM

Welcome to the forums.

Thank you.

Just have a few questions.

No problems.

How do you get born and bred into a church?

The term is figure of speech.

Certainly it was my identity in that I believed the conventional teachings to be the ultimate reality. (I could never understand how my friends and other acquaintances could appear to live as well as me, given that they were living in sin, sick, doomed, in darkness etc. That is how real it was.)

One does tend to adopt the beliefs of one’s parents and/or peers as a child. There is the old Jesuit saying – “Give me a child to the age of 7 and I shall have him for life.”

Both of my parents did not go to church, but I did. Which means I choose Christ by choice.

I would say that most people fall into and out of theism and atheism, by choice – if they make the decision beyond childhood.

Do you actually think that every Christian has to be brain washed to believe?

No. How did you work that out from my initial posting?

You have been sold a bill of goods that is a lie if you believe this.

See above.

It is demonstrable though, that children tend to accept the beliefs of their parents, and/or their peers, and/or their culture.

Do you disagree with this?

Yeah, the subject is addictive to debate.

Yes.

And it can also get boring when you done it for a few years as I have. Because the arguenemts get repeated, and so do the answers. Most non-believers would agree from their side as well.

I have never really found it boring. Perhaps more frustrating, but never really boring.

Regards, Roland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users