ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:04 AM

Why some debates never end? Ever wonder why? Some of us, me included, refuse to be corrected. Why? We love our doctrine more than the word of God. One thing I have found that has brought me more truth is allowing people to prove me wrong. That's right, prove me wrong. It's not a challenge of sorts, but a test to make those who use pride to defend their doctrine to realize that you don't find truth that way and never will.

Why do I like to be proven wrong? When the word of God is used, and I'm proven wrong by it. And allow it to do this, I become one step closer to the truth of God. I have found my maturity as a Christian, and my mission to decipher as much truth as I can requires it. This is why I debate with such passion in each thread I get involved in. I want someone to prove me wrong. But, there is one catch to it. It cannot be done by personal opinion unless that opinion is backed up by the word of God.

So in what ever you believe, how would you go about allowing someone to prove you wrong so that you could find more truth? Or is your doctrine correct regardless of what anyone says, or scripture they may bring up?

Part of my growing in Christ has taught me to test another doctrine for truth. Even as far as to walk in the shoes of believing as they do to test it even further. This is why I was bouncing back and forth between OSAS and No-OSAS. I had to try out each one to see how it fit and felt. But remaining neutral so that the word of God would guide me.

So how far would you go to find truth? What would it take, and what would you be willing to give up or change if required? Would you do anything to get at the truth? Or are you content with feeling secure with someone else's interpretation of truth?

The thing I had to realize is that man can make mistakes and often does. So we are not supposed to believe everything someone says just because we like them. God's word has to always be the end of every argument, and every debate. If we allowed this to actually happen, how much more truth would we have already found? And how much less time would we spend debating what we want to be true as if we already know what truth is on every issue?

We are like gladiators, or key boards are our swords. We come to battle at the forum for what reason? Does the winner find more truth if we wins the debate? Or does the person willing to lose the debate get the bigger prize because he allowed someone to prove him wrong with the word? The bible is supposed to be our defense and our correction, not our key boards. So to what goal do we come here?

Do we debate never ending debates so we can come out the other end not knowing anymore than when we started? And some wonder why they can't learn anymore or grow in Christ. It's like a oxymoron when you have a debate but are not willing to ponder another view. The word speaks of this.

rom 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

2cor 12:20 For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults:

Now why do you think debate is mentioned among the worst things in God's word? Because a debate is where two people square off to have words over what they have preconceived as truth. Fellowship is where one or more people work together to actually find truth.

acts 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Notice the difference between debate and fellowship. Debate was always listed with the bad stuff. Fellowship, according to how it used, is listed with good things.

In my opinion, debates have there place. But where is the fellowship?

#2 Schera Do

Schera Do

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • Southeastern NY State

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:36 PM

From OP: "Now why do you think debate is mentioned among the worst things in God's word? Because a debate is where two people square off to have words over what they have preconceived as truth."

No.

That was easy....

#3 FaithfulCenturion

FaithfulCenturion

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • New York

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:47 PM

Wow, where did you get these verses from?

Romans 1:27-32

27 and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another,men with men committing[s]indecent acts and receiving in [t]their own persons the due penalty of their error.

28 And just as they did not see fit [u]to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper,29 being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips, 30 slanderers,[v]haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil,disobedient to parents,31 without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful; 32 and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them.

There is no mention of the word "debate" there. You've started with a false premise however. Can men be wrong? Absolutely! I am constantly. However, when it comes to the word of God, I would prefer robust and vigorous debates to constantly hone our understanding. Remember, "iron shrapeneth iron".
  • gilbo12345 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users