• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7048 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:59 AM

I thought of this topic from this thread:

http://www.evolution...?showtopic=2081

I would like to know if people have had experiences where a call was on your life and it seemed like the people that should have been on your side weren't and you pressed forward anyway, cautiously but optimistically and finding the people who opposed you rejoicing on the other side because following the heart of God produced fruit.

I think this could turn into a lively discussion with some great testimonies because as often as God uses people to warn you and help you with growth, Satan will use people to deter you and keep you from growth. I would like to here some people share when these types of situations were active in their lives.

#2 the totton linnet

the totton linnet

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Friends, fellowship, stuff
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Winchester, Hampshire

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:19 AM

I thought of this topic from this thread:

http://www.evolution...?showtopic=2081

I would like to know if people have had experiences where a call was on your life and it seemed like the people that should have been on your side weren't and you pressed forward anyway, cautiously but optimistically and finding the people who opposed you rejoicing on the other side because following the heart of God produced fruit.

I think this could turn into a lively discussion with some great testimonies because as often as God uses people to warn you and help you with growth, Satan will use people to deter you and keep you from growth. I would like to here some people share when these types of situations were active in their lives.

View Post

I'm thinking to pick this serpent up by the tail like Moses did but first a little anecdote.
I went with a bunch to Hyde park [speaker's corner] the first of many subsequent sallies forth. I was cajoled to stand on a box to give my testimony, and when I did a big bully man came rushing toward me from the crowd, his face contorted with rage and he shouted right into my face, "what do you think you are doing, step off that box at once." and meekly I did and was soon in a flood of tears. I was only 15 mind and it was a good lesson to learn-I'm a bit tougher now :mellow:
Now I was invited home to a cup of tea and cakes by a fellowsship of Exclusive Brethrens which if you know their [Amish like] ways is an exceptional honour. I found them to be among the sweetest people I have ever met and got to chat about many things with them, their belief that women must be silent in church etc which I made no bones about for they are united among themselves on the matter and the sisters in sweet submission, this is a jewel of the highest carat with the Lord. They shared [the sisters] how that many, many times during the reading and sharing meetings they would have an insight to a scripture which they wished would be shared they would pray to the Lord and "transfer" it to either their spouse or some other brother and lo the brother would stand and share it with the meeting. praise the Lord for His wonderful way with His people, I saw in that testimony, but didn't share it, perhaps a gentle admonition-and not without humour- from the Lord, for if they had the blessing why not share it? Large in our chats was the subject of ministry which the exclusives do not have, that is to say a structured ministry, as for instance the Baptists do with one man being the recognised leader, which goes right to the core of what Brethrens believe is wrong with the church at large.
My point was that God did bless such ministries quoting for example the ministry of C.H.Spurgeon, we also chatted about "methods" such as Billy Graham calling for decisions which they strongly disapprove and which once again I pointed out that God does bless such methods-inasmuch as people are saved through B.G.s ministry.
Now their answer to this was that success is never a sign of God's approbation of unsound or unbiblical practices and that the word of God must never be put aside because of expediency, this they see as the first step away from God and a step which must develope into error, greater and greater error as for instance the rise of episcopalianism and sacramentalism/liturgy etc.
You have in America women pastors and even bishops-I haven't heard of any but I would not be surprised women apostles. The feminist movement is very strong, but someone will say well "what the heck?" if God blesses it, souls get saved etc.
How important are these matters is difficult to gauge because it's a trend that is quite modern, we don't yet see where it will lead.
How long will it be-if it has not already happened- that someone who has been noted as a successful evangelist/pastor either in truth or by fraud comes out and confesses an alternative lifestyle?
What I am saying is that it is always safe to stick to the bible-the whole bible mind- If somebody says to me you cannot speak in church [according to one interpretation of the scriptures] I say if I cover my head I can prophesy [preach] or pray according to another interpretation of a scripture, whatever more can a woman want? to be honoured as a bishop? I think that might be a bondage whereas before I was free.
To go back to B.G. who I admire and love and am thankful for his ministry in England. What if he were to preach and gave no altar-call? would not the same people be saved? their numbers would be harder to determine, it would not look so impressive but then also you would not get people who stand forward and go through the couselling proceedure and coming into the church unsaved<<I'm thinking. They came forward in the meeting but they came not to Christ.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users