• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • London, UK

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

Hi! :huh:

I totally dived into the forums here and posted the other day without saying my hellos first...... forgive my bad (manners)....... I guess the main topics and convos distracted me from observing the proper protocol...... meh

Lemme see........ I guess I'm the 'strong' type or 'hardcore'/whatever label atheist you hang on 'unweak' ones as I think my disbelief in God(s) seems to be as 'strong' as any belief in God(s) that I've seen in most other people to date and this place as I skim it, has clearly got some 'strong' believers on board, though not exclusively.

Mind you......... I don't hang out on religious sites nor atheist sites, let alone 'strong' religious sites as this one appears to be at first glance....... I'm here to learn a bit more about it, though - I'm definately not here to just hone my so called debating skills or anything facile like that as I'm much more interested in reading and getting a better understanding with a view to perhaps challenging some 'truths' (perceived) than in any kind of University debating society type brownie point 'victories' way......... I'll leave that to the wannabe politicians, lawyers and professional word jugglers.......

How did I find my way here? Well......... basically through previous contact with a few members who recently came here themselves from other sites - not religious debate sites btw - and this seemed to be a more appropriate theme designated place to discuss a topic which is of interest to me from the point of view that rather than seek answers from the 'converted' (people who seem to closely share my worldviews ie 'AtheistsRUs.com') I think I can learn more by getting straight unfiltered answers from the horse's mouth so to speak by engaging those who don't appear to share my worldview........ if that makes sense?

I assume that despite the rather 'weighted' though faintly comical site title here that what I am doing is in some way similar to Fred's wish in creating this site......? I would hope so at least.

Perhaps one day I may even be in a position to reciprocate and invite some of you guys onto my forthcoming 'Genesis: A Fairytale for Sunday School Children. com" - lol!

By way of a funny aside......... I attempted to enter some ages from Biblical characters into my entry form for joining this site only to find that the stupid program simply *would not* accept Adam's age of 930 years old......... nor Noah's age, nor Abraham's age......... go figure eh? lol

#2 Preachbill

Preachbill

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Preaching the Word, FlightSimming.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Michigan

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:45 AM

Hi! :huh:

I totally dived into the forums here and posted the other day without saying my hellos first...... forgive my bad (manners)....... I guess the main topics and convos distracted me from observing the proper protocol...... meh

Lemme see........ I guess I'm the 'strong' type or 'hardcore'/whatever label atheist you hang on 'unweak' ones as I think my disbelief in God(s) seems to be as 'strong' as any belief in God(s) that I've seen in most other people to date and this place as I skim it, has clearly got some 'strong' believers on board, though not exclusively.

Mind you......... I don't hang out on religious sites nor atheist sites, let alone 'strong' religious sites as this one appears to be at first glance....... I'm here to learn a bit more about it, though - I'm definately not here to just hone my so called debating skills or anything facile like that as I'm much more interested in reading and getting a better understanding with a view to perhaps challenging some 'truths' (perceived) than in any kind of University debating society type brownie point 'victories' way......... I'll leave that to the wannabe politicians, lawyers and professional word jugglers.......

How did I find my way here?  Well......... basically through previous contact with a few members who recently came here themselves from other sites - not religious debate sites btw - and this seemed to be a more appropriate theme designated place to discuss a topic which is of interest to me from the point of view that rather than seek answers from the 'converted' (people who seem to closely share my worldviews ie 'AtheistsRUs.com') I think I can learn more by getting straight unfiltered answers from the horse's mouth so to speak by engaging those who don't appear to share my worldview........ if that makes sense?

I assume that despite the rather 'weighted' though faintly comical site title here that what I am doing is in some way similar to Fred's wish in creating this site......? I would hope so at least.

Perhaps one day I may even be in a position to reciprocate and invite some of you guys onto my forthcoming 'Genesis: A Fairytale for Sunday School Children. com" - lol!

By way of a funny aside......... I attempted to enter some ages from Biblical characters into my entry form for joining this site only to find that the stupid program simply *would not* accept Adam's age of 930 years old......... nor Noah's age, nor Abraham's age......... go figure eh? lol

View Post

Welcome to the site...

#3 Mirrordin

Mirrordin

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Biology, biochemistry, the bible proclaimings its message and loving God
  • Christian
  • San Diego California

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:57 AM

Welcome :huh:

#4 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:21 PM

Welcome to the boards. Make sure to read the rules because we have different rules from other forums.

We also like to keep debates on level playing field because it brings out the best from both sides. We frown on belittling people, and that goes for both sides. We don't mind the poke and jabs that often happen. But there is also below the belt hits that we don't allow. Which is carrying a subject to a more personal level than what is really needed, which is in no way being scientific.

But if you try and keep the debate on a more level playing field you will find that people are more willing to come forward with information, and willingness to debate. It's kind of a change from sites where both sides are allowed to just bash one another. But most who stay here for a while say they like it. And I hope you find it the same way. :huh:

#5 RobotArchie

RobotArchie

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • London, UK

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:13 PM

Thank you all for this warm welcome and even though i feel I may just have signed a pact with the Devil and signed away my basic human rights to join up here :huh: ........... lol........... i realise that there are people of an anarchistic bent perhaps who go beyond 'contention' of opinion towards straight abuse....... and some of them even call themselves atheists/christians/muslims........ so it has to be a tight site in regard of common civility.

Thank you! ;) I'm not a literalist when it comes to Rules interpretation either ikester....... lol

#6 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7048 posts
  • Christian
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:29 PM

Hi RobotArchie,

Welcome aboard! I hope you enjoy it here. I'm glad that you were lead to hear things from the "horse's mouth". You may get some surprises regarding straw arguments that you've been convinced of... I know I found a few of my own in place when I first started studying.

I hope you take the time to consider the rules because there is only a limited amount of leeway here. Your experience will be as good as your sincerity to truly learn the truth about why we believe what we believe. Enjoy.

#7 jason78

jason78

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1349 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Birmingham, UK

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:12 AM

Welcome to the forums RobotArchie :D

#8 RobotArchie

RobotArchie

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • London, UK

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:58 AM

Hi back at Adam and Jason! :D

Thanks for your welcomes!

Hey guys- I'm already starting to dream up some mighty big and far reaching strategies to radically transform this here website into a truly world beating power to be reckoned with..... and thereby unite the whole wide world 'an all in our most common truth of truths....... ie we all believe in Creation!

Yes we do...... except for those stick-in-the-muds who take the philosophical stance that they themselves and we don't actually exist coz they read it in a depressing book........ I'll work on that in a dull moment...... they're probably German........

To that end, I hereby propose that we might add : 'Big Bang Creationists' to the drop down profile menu 'worldviews'.........

^^^^^See? See?

LOL! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users