• PipPipPipPip
  • 1518 posts
  • Interests:reading, learning, talking and stuff
  • no affiliation
  • Creationist
  • North Augusta, SC

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:54 AM

I was reading this, and just had to post it. It was so funny (and typical):

Atheist Richard Dawkins Lost a Debate to a Rabbi and then Claimed Debate Never Took Place
http://www.conservap...eism_and_Debate

Rabbi Shmuley Boteach was named the London Times Preacher of the Year 2000 and is the author of 20 books.[22]

Recently Rabbi Schuley Boteach wrote:

“ ...Dawkins attacked me on his website and denied that he and I had ever debated. My office quickly posted the full footage of a two hour debate which took place on October 23, 1996, a debate which Dawkins actually lost after a vote taken by the students as to which side, science or religion, caused more students to change their minds. In my article on the subject responding to his attack I was extremely respectful of Dr. Dawkins and was therefore shocked to receive a letter in return in which he accused me of speaking like Hitler. Had the noted scientist lost his mind? Hitler? Was this for real?[23] ”

WorldNetDaily offers the following quotes of Rabbi Boteach about debate and the initial denial by Dawkins that the debate never took place:

“ That is a particularly bold untruth. Our debate, which took place at St. Catherine's College, Oxford on Oct. 23, 1996, attracted hundreds of students and featured, on the atheist side, Prof. Dawkins and chemistry Prof. Peter Atkins, and on the religion side, me and Prof. Keith Ward, Oxford's Regius Professor of Divinity. Student president Josh Wine was in the chair," the rabbi explained.
"In a vote at the end of the debate as to how many students had changed their minds after hearing the arguments, Dawkin's side was defeated and religion prevailed, which might account for his selective memory," he wrote.[24] ”

A video of the debate that Dawkins lost to Rabbi Shmuley Boteach is available at Rabbi Schely Boteach's website.[25]

[22]- http://www.beliefnet...ful-Attack.aspx
[23]- http://www.beliefnet...ful-Attack.aspx
[24]- http://www.wnd.com/i...ew&pageId=61565
[25]- http://anhonestdebat...ichard-dawkins/

P.S. Don't forget to check the note links above for more of the story :rolleyes:

#2 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7048 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for that info, de_skudd. I found these videos offered by those links you provided. He has an interesting perspective. It's a sign of the times when Jews like Rabbi Shmuley and Ben Stein are defending Christians:

I have such a growing passion for committed Jews. I pray regularly for their coming into that special relationship with Jesus. There are so many great Jewish authors who speak so much relevant truth. I can see why Ray Comfort, a former Jew, has such a heart to reach Jews with the Gospel.

Edited by Bonedigger, 03 October 2013 - 06:43 PM.
Fixed Video Embeds

#3 de_skudd

de_skudd

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1518 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Creationist
  • North Augusta, SC

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for that info, de_skudd. I found these videos offered by those links you provided. He has an interesting perspective. It's a sign of the times when Jews like Rabbi Shmuley and Ben Stein are defending Christians:

YbJqqDigpls

1we3juuVSno

I have such a growing passion for committed Jews. I pray regularly for their coming into that special relationship with Jesus. There are so many great Jewish authors who speak so much relevant truth. I can see why Ray Comfort, a former Jew, has such a heart to reach Jews with the Gospel.

View Post

Pray for the peace of Israel my friend!

#4 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7048 posts
  • Christian

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:02 AM

Pray for the peace of Israel my friend!

View Post

Amen. I will. We can't forget that all our lost relatives and friends and acquaintances even on this forum are our lost brothers and sisters... who aren't much different than us.

#5 CTD

CTD

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2059 posts
  • Christian
  • Missouri

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

Back when I could watch videos, I saw where another atheist got into it with Rabbi Shmuley. He lied about Rabbinical Court findings and Shmuley called him on it. I'm bad with names, but he looks & talks just like the bad guy in the Speed Racer movie. Anyhow, after the debate, the lies continued on the internet. Pretty disgusting.

#6 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7048 posts
  • Christian

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

Hi CTD,

I just watched this debate today after de_skudd turned me on to the bulldog Rabbi Shmuley and I think it has the moment that you're referring to:

A word of caution to others, Christopher Hitchens is full of vitriol and I can't promise that you'll find his end of the debate easy to stomach:

Edited by Bonedigger, 03 October 2013 - 06:31 PM.
Fixed Video Embed

#7 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:43 PM

Well that's what narcissist do. If they cannot win, then they will deny that it ever happened.

This is an example of what evolution does to the human mind. It teaches it that through reason, you can always be right. And after a person gets used to being right, they don't know how to take it when proven wrong. And in their anger to save face, they do something stupid and make it worse than what it was to begin with.
  • Bond007 likes this

#8 de_skudd

de_skudd

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1518 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Creationist
  • North Augusta, SC

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:30 AM

Hi CTD,

I just watched this debate today after de_skudd turned me on to the bulldog Rabbi Shmuley and I think it has the moment that you're referring to:

A word of caution to others, Christopher Hitchens is full of vitriol and I can't promise that you'll find his end of the debate easy to stomach:

vnMYL8sF7bQ

View Post

I haven't had the chance to watch this yet, but, was it a formal debate? Because, if it wasn't, the thing I've noticed about Hitchens (from his other debates) is that he often cuts the other guy off and talkes over them to keep them from making their points.

#9 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7048 posts
  • Christian

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:34 AM

I haven't had the chance to watch this yet, but, was it a formal debate? Because, if it wasn't, the thing I've noticed about Hitchens (from his other debates) is that he often cuts the other guy off and talkes over them to keep them from making their points.

View Post

I believe the interruptions are kept to a minimum and yes it's formal.

#10 de_skudd

de_skudd

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1518 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Creationist
  • North Augusta, SC

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:05 AM

I believe the interruptions are kept to a minimum and yes it's formal.

View Post

It may have had a moderator, but that didn’t stop Hitchens from interrupting and spreading his unsubstantiated vitriol. But, Rabbi Shmuley acquitted himself well under the circumstances.

#11 Mirrordin

Mirrordin

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Biology, biochemistry, the bible proclaimings its message and loving God
  • Christian
  • San Diego California

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:37 AM

Hi CTD,

vnMYL8sF7bQ

View Post

Christoper Hitchens made a wonderful point where how we always chose the first theory over no theory or a conspiracy theory etc. I've seen this in a 4 v 4 creation evolution formal debate the evolutionists kept asking "Whats your alternate theory" Hitchens is spot on just because there isn't a published alternate theory doesn't mean the first one is right it is garbage just like toe.

#12 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5799 posts
  • Interests:Completed BBiotech (Honours)

Currently studying Masters of Teaching.

Enjoys games of tactics and strategy.
  • (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

Christoper Hitchens made a wonderful point where how we always chose the first theory over no theory or a conspiracy theory etc. I've seen this in a 4 v 4 creation evolution formal debate the evolutionists kept asking "Whats your alternate theory" Hitchens is spot on just because there isn't a published alternate theory doesn't mean the first one is right it is garbage just like toe.

There doesn't need to be an alternative, scientists are allowed to admit they were wrong and cannot claim something that is wrong is right because there is no alternative.

#13 MarkForbes

MarkForbes

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1026 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Waverley

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:33 AM

Hi CTD,

Is that the full video including above youtube clips?

#14 FaithfulCenturion

FaithfulCenturion

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Christian
  • New York

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:27 AM

It may have had a moderator, but that didnââ¬â¢t stop Hitchens from interrupting and spreading his unsubstantiated vitriol. But, Rabbi Shmuley acquitted himself well under the circumstances.

In a non-formal case, we see that interruptions are the norm amongst atheists/evolutionists.

I believe its because deep down they're full of it, so they try to talk down the other person to keep you from seeing how weak they truly are. Just my layman's observation.

#15 FaithfulCenturion

FaithfulCenturion

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Christian
  • New York

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:34 AM

Hmmm, seems I can't post links. Bummer because my previous post had a very good rxample of what I was talking about... Oh well.

#16 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5799 posts
  • Interests:Completed BBiotech (Honours)

Currently studying Masters of Teaching.

Enjoys games of tactics and strategy.
  • (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:35 AM

In a non-formal case, we see that interruptions are the norm amongst atheists/evolutionists.

I believe its because deep down they're full of it, so they try to talk down the other person to keep you from seeing how weak they truly are. Just my layman's observation.

That is what Krauss did with his debates with Craig.. The man is absolutely deplorable and continually interrupts Craig in order to stop him from making his points. He did exactly the same with a discussion on a radio show with Lennox, I got frustrated with the radio moderator letting Krauss have free reign that I stopped listening... Not that Krauss would have said anything revolutionary, his book "A universe from Nothing" is VERY similar to Hawkings recent book "The Grand Design", so similar some reviews have pointed this out.

#17 FaithfulCenturion

FaithfulCenturion

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Christian
  • New York

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:43 AM

Ah, there it is! Lol!

#18 FaithfulCenturion

FaithfulCenturion

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Christian
  • New York

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:58 AM

That is what Krauss did with his debates with Craig.. The man is absolutely deplorable and continually interrupts Craig in order to stop him from making his points. He did exactly the same with a discussion on a radio show with Lennox, I got frustrated with the radio moderator letting Krauss have free reign that I stopped listening... Not that Krauss would have said anything revolutionary, his book "A universe from Nothing" is VERY similar to Hawkings recent book "The Grand Design", so similar some reviews have pointed this out.

Ah yet more evidence for my hypothesis! ;) I believe I will name it FC's law! Which states that in any debate, whether formal or not, the atheist/evolutionist will, at some point continuously interrupt, talk over, or degrade their opponent in an effort to silence opposition to their worldview. ^_^ There, now its all nice and official!
  • Adam Nagy, gilbo12345, HammerOfGod and 1 other like this

#19 Salsa

Salsa

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1231 posts
  • Christian
  • Uppsala, Sweden

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:38 AM

Hmmm, seems I can't post links.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but could it be that you are pasting your links directly into the editor, rather than using the link button?

#20 FaithfulCenturion

FaithfulCenturion

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Christian
  • New York

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:50 AM

I'm not sure what the problem is, but could it be that you are pasting your links directly into the editor, rather than using the link button?

Thanks! I think I managed to get it to work! Appreciate the help! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users