Tico

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Virginia

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

Let's hope I am posting this is the right section D:
The purpose of relationships is to eventually get married right....
So
What is the purpose of marriage from a christian view?

#2 oliver

oliver

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Christian
  • Brittany, France

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:10 PM

Let's hope I am posting this is the right section D:
The purpose of relationships is to eventually get married right....
So
What is the purpose of marriage from a christian view?

View Post

1. The wife is a complement and help to her husband (Genesis 2)
2. Marriage is for begetting children and filling the world (Genesis 2)
3. Marriage is for the enjoyment of s@x together (Proverbs 5:18-19)
4. Marriage is for the avoidance of sin (1 Corinthians 7)
5. Marriage is to illustrate the relationship between Christ and the church (Ephesians 31-32)

#3 Tico

Tico

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Christian
  • Virginia

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:12 PM

1. The wife is a complement and help to her husband (Genesis 2)
2. Marriage is for begetting children and filling the world (Genesis 2)
3. Marriage is for the enjoyment of s@x together (Proverbs 5:18-19)
4. Marriage is for the avoidance of sin (1 Corinthians 7)
5. Marriage is to illustrate the relationship between Christ and the church (Ephesians 31-32)

View Post

This is what I thought but what is the purpose for non christians? B)

#4 oliver

oliver

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Christian
  • Brittany, France

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:16 PM

This is what I thought but what is the purpose for non christians?  B)

View Post

It's the same. There isn't one for Christians and one for others. God is the same.

Non-Christians (and many Christians too) rebel against God's will in this area, but it doesn't change what he says.

There are certain parts of God's commands which are for a limited group of people. For example, the law of Moses was for Israel only. The law of Christ is for Christians only (because those without the Spirit are entirely incapable of keeping it). But the creation ordinances and the covenant with Noah are for all mankind.

#5 Tico

Tico

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Christian
  • Virginia

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:27 PM

It's the same.  There isn't one for Christians and one for others.  God is the same.

Non-Christians (and many Christians too) rebel against God's will in this area, but it doesn't change what he says. 

There are certain parts of God's commands which are for a limited group of people.  For example, the law of Moses was for Israel only.  The law of Christ is for Christians only (because those without the Spirit are entirely incapable of keeping it).  But the creation ordinances and the covenant with Noah are for all mankind.

View Post

I know they rebel against God.....but I mean if they don't really support those things you listed I know the rules are all the same but you could do all that without being married then why get married? B)

#6 oliver

oliver

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Christian
  • Brittany, France

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:44 PM

I know they rebel against God.....but I mean if they don't really support those things you listed I know the rules are all the same but you could do all that without being married then why get married?  B)

View Post

Just having s@x makes a permanent relationship between you. (1 Corinthians 6:16)

For myself, I don't regard a marriage ceremony as essential; the permanent relationship is created automatically. But a ceremony is a public event which should enable the community to recognise the marriage and support the couple in it.

We can't expect any such support from the world any more, but those in the church should understand the great importance of supporting people in marriage and creating an atmosphere in which divorce is unthinkable. Every marriage has problems. The kind of teaching that people get in the world is to walk away from problems. but that always carries a great cost. One person is being torn into two parts.

God expects you to work at marriage and keep it going. Romantic love is not essential; the norm throughout history has been that marriages were arranged by the parents. Love means seeking the best interests of someone else; it does not mean having gooey feelings!

#7 Tico

Tico

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Christian
  • Virginia

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:52 PM

Just having s@x makes a permanent relationship between you.  (1 Corinthians 6:16)

For myself, I don't regard a marriage ceremony as essential; the permanent relationship is created automatically.  But a ceremony is a public event which should enable the community to recognise the marriage and support the couple in it.

We can't expect any such support from the world any more, but those in the church should understand the great importance of supporting people in marriage and creating an atmosphere in which divorce is unthinkable.  Every marriage has problems.  The kind of teaching that people get in the world is to walk away from problems. but that always carries a great cost.  One person is being torn into two parts.

God expects you to work at marriage and keep it going.  Romantic love is not essential; the norm throughout history has been that marriages were arranged by the parents.  Love means seeking the best interests of someone else; it does not mean having gooey feelings!

View Post

A marriage cermony is symbolic B)

We can't expect any such support from the world any more, but those in the church should understand the great importance of supporting people in marriage and creating an atmosphere in which divorce is unthinkable.  Every marriage has problems.  The kind of teaching that people get in the world is to walk away from problems. but that always carries a great cost.  One person is being torn into two parts.

God expects you to work at marriage and keep it going.  Romantic love is not essential; the norm throughout history has been that marriages were arranged by the parents.  Love means seeking the best interests of someone else; it does not mean having gooey feelings!

View Post

Agreed I agree we can't expect support and also I agree marriage is work (wait I am not married D: ) any relationship is work :lol:

I still don't understand why they get married...I guess just to say your married? :/ Why do they get married in churches?

#8 Bex

Bex

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, friends/family, animals, health topics, auto/biographies, movies (horror, comedy, drama, whatever, just as long as it's good), music, video games (mainly survival horror, or survival/adventure types), crossword puzzles, books on real life crime/serial killers/etc. Prophecy/miracles/supernatural/hauntings etc, net surfing/forums etc.<br /><br />One of my favourite forums for information on many topics:<br /><br />http://orbisvitae.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • New Zealand

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:09 PM

Just having s@x makes a permanent relationship between you.  (1 Corinthians 6:16)

For myself, I don't regard a marriage ceremony as essential; the permanent relationship is created automatically.  But a ceremony is a public event which should enable the community to recognise the marriage and support the couple in it.

View Post

Hi Oliver,

I thought much of what you said here was wonderful and certainly in keeping with God's intention. However, I don't entirely agree with everything. It is not deciding to have s@x, it is deciding to commit oneself under God to eachother body and soul. Apart from an unlikely desert island scenario with two people only - a witness is required and vows. Marriage is not a contract between two people. Marriage is a convenant between two people under God, witnessed, approved and supported by God and indissoluble absolutely!

Matthew 19:5 and said, 'FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE, AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH

Matthew 19:6  Therefore now they are not two, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let no man put asunder.

It is a dire warning to anyone even thinks of breaking up someone else's marriage.

The Catholic Catechism states: This is in brief, taken from http://www.scborrome...cc/p2s2c3a7.htm. For those who wish to read each in full out of interest, please click on the link.

IN BRIEF

1659 St. Paul said: "Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the Church. . . . This is a great mystery, and I mean in reference to Christ and the Church" (Eph 5:25, 32).

1660 The marriage covenant, by which a man and a woman form with each other an intimate communion of life and love, has been founded and endowed with its own special laws by the Creator. By its very nature it is ordered to the good of the couple, as well as to the generation and education of children. Christ the Lord raised marriage between the baptized to the dignity of a sacrament (cf. CIC, can. 1055 § 1; cf. GS 48 § 1).

1661 The sacrament of Matrimony signifies the union of Christ and the Church. It gives spouses the grace to love each other with the love with which Christ has loved his Church; the grace of the sacrament thus perfects the human love of the spouses, strengthens their indissoluble unity, and sanctifies them on the way to eternal life (cf. Council of Trent: DS 1799).

1662 Marriage is based on the consent of the contracting parties, that is, on their will to give themselves, each to the other, mutually and definitively, in order to live a covenant of faithful and fruitful love.

1663 Since marriage establishes the couple in a public state of life in the Church, it is fitting that its celebration be public, in the framework of a liturgical celebration, before the priest (or a witness authorized by the Church), the witnesses, and the assembly of the faithful.

1664 Unity, indissolubility, and openness to fertility are essential to marriage. Polygamy is incompatible with the unity of marriage; divorce separates what God has joined together; the refusal of fertility turns married life away from its "supreme gift," the child (GS 50 § 1).

1665 The remarriage of persons divorced from a living, lawful spouse contravenes the plan and law of God as taught by Christ. They are not separated from the Church, but they cannot receive Eucharistic communion. They will lead Christian lives especially by educating their children in the faith.

1666 The Christian home is the place where children receive the first proclamation of the faith. For this reason the family home is rightly called "the domestic church," a community of grace and prayer, a school of human virtues and of Christian charity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

84 CIC, can. 1055 § 1; cf. GS 48 § 1.
85 Rev 19:7, 9; cf. Gen 1:26-27.
86 1 Cor 7:39; cf. Eph 5:31-32.
87 GS 48 § 1.
88 Cf. GS 47 § 2.
89 GS 47 § 1.
90 Cf. Gen 1:27; 1 Jn 4:8, 16.
91 Gen 1:28; cf. 1:31.
92 Gen 2:18.
93 Cf. Gen 2:18-25.
94 Gen 2:24.
95 Mt 19:6.
96 Cf. Gen 3:12.
97 Cf. Gen 2:22; 3:16b.
98 Cf. Gen 1:28; 3:16-19.
99 Cf. Gen 3:21.
100 Gen 3:16, 19.
101 Cf. Mt 19:8; Deut 24:1.
102 Cf. Hos 1-3; Isa 54; 62; Jer 2-3; 31; Ezek 16; 23; Mal 2:13-17.
103 Song 8:6-7.
104 Rev 19:7,9; cf. GS 22.
105 Cf. Jn 2:1-11.
106 Cf. Mt 19:8.
107 Mt 19:6.
108 Cf. Mk 8:34; Mt 11:29-30.
109 Cf. Mt 19:11.
110 Eph 5:25-26,31-32; Cf. Gen 2:24.
111 Cf. Eph 5:26-27.
112 Cf. DS 1800; CIC, Can. 1055 § 2.
113 Cf. Lk 14:26; Mk 10:28-31.
114 Cf. Rev 14:4; 1 Cor 7:32; Mt 2:56.
115 Mt 19:12.
116 Cf. Mk 12:25; 1 Cor 7:31.
117 Cf. Mt 19:3-12.
118 Cf. LG 42; PC 12; OT 10.
119 St. John Chrysostom, De virg. 10,1:PG 48,540; Cf. John Paul II, FC 16.
120 Cf. SC 61.
121 Cf. LG 6.
122 Cf. 1 Cor 10:17.
123 FC 67.
124 Cf. CCEO, can. 817.
125 Cf. CCEO, can. 828. 126 Cf. Eph 5:32.
127 CIC, can. 1057 § 1.
128 GS 48 § 1; OCM 45; cf. CIC, can. 1057 § 2.
129 Gen 2:24; cf. Mt 10:8; Eph 5:31.
130 Cf. CIC, can. 1103.
131 Cf. CIC, can. 1057 § 1.
132 Cf. CIC, cann. 1095-1107.
133 Cf. CIC, can. 1071.
134 Cf. Council of Trent: DS 1813-1816; CIC, can. 1108.
135 Cf. CIC, can. 1063.
136 GS 49 § 3.
137 Cf. CIC, can. 1124.
138 Cf. CIC, can. 1086.
139 Cf. CIC, can. 1125.
140 1 Cor 7:14.
141 Cf. 1 Cor 7:16.
142 Cf. CIC, can. 1134.
143 Cf. Mk 10:9.
144 GS 48 § 1.
145 GS 48 § 2.
146 Cf. CIC, can. 1141.
147 LG 11 § 2.
148 LG 11 § 2; cf. LG 41.
149 GS 48 § 2.
150 Eph 5:21; cf. Gal 6:2.
151 Tertullian, Ad uxorem. 2,8,6-7:PL 1,1412-1413; cf. FC 13.
152 FC 13.
153 Mt 19:6; cf. Gen 2:24.
154 FC 19.
155 GS 49 § 2.
156 Cf. FC 19.
157 GS 48 § 1.
158 Cf. FC 20.
159 Cf. FC 83; CIC, cann. 1151-1155.
160 Mk 10:11-12.
161 FC 84.
162 GS 48 § 1; 50.
163 GS 50 § 1; cf. Gen 2:18; Mt 19:4; Gen 1:28.
164 Cf. GE 3.
165 Cf. FC 28.
166 Cf. Acts 18:8.
167 Cf. Acts 16:31; Acts 11:14.
168 LG 11; cf. FC 21.
169 LG 11.
170 LG 10.
171 GS 52 § 1.
172 FC 85; cf. Mt 11:28.

#9 oliver

oliver

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Christian
  • Brittany, France

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:28 PM

Hi Oliver,

I thought much of what you said here was wonderful and certainly in keeping with God's intention. However, I don't entirely agree with everything.  It is not deciding to have s@x, it is deciding to commit oneself under God to eachother body and soul.  Apart from an unlikely desert island scenario with two people only - a witness is required and vows.  Marriage is not a contract between two people.  Marriage is a convenant between two people under God, witnessed, approved and supported by God and indissoluble absolutely! 

View Post

I agree about the commitment to one another; that is implied by the comparison between marriage and Christ's betrothal to the church - of course he is completely faithful to us. However, I can't see that anywhere in the scripture requires a marriage to be a public event. It always is a public event in the scripture, since it involves a girl leaving her father's house. But description is not necessarily prescription. Furthermore, Paul's teaching makes it clear that any S@xual intercourse has permanent effects, even though it is illicit.

One other aspect of marriage that I did not mention is that the Jewish marriage customs provide a model for the rapture of the church at the start of the Day of the Lord. This is first referred to in John 14, where Jesus says "I go to prepare a place for you", which is what a betrothed husband had to do, to his father's satisfaction, before his father authorised him to go back and fetch his bride.

#10 falcone

falcone

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • Scotland

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:55 AM

This is what I thought but what is the purpose for non christians?  :blink:

View Post

Removal of burocracy and red tape. Being married to your partner makes joint financial management simpler.

While some also see it as a formalisation of commitment, many don't feel marriage is necessary for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users