• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:06 AM

TheJarJam introduced this video here...

...after watching it a few times, I found it rather fascinating to give perspective on how people get harassed or gently deceived into purchasing opinions and beliefs without a fair shake.

I've increasingly noticed how often people appeal to a direct assault on your own desire to fit in through appeals to popularity or a general threat to have yourself labeled as intellectually lacking because you don't see the 'truths' that are so 'plain' to everyone else. Chances are you are being subjected to some form of rhetoric...

Here is an 'in your face' bit of rhetoric from one of my personal favorite Darwinian clergy members:

“It is absolutely safe to say that if you meet somebody who claims not to believe in evolution, that person is ignorant, stupid, or insane (or wicked, but I’d rather not consider that)”

I would like to make this an equal opportunity thread. I don't believe rhetoric is solely an evolutionist problem, it's a human problem. One of the things that should come out of recognizing problems in other worldviews is self-reflection that allows us to examine ourselves to see where we are guilty of employing the same tactics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users