Dave

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Central California

Posted 23 May 2009 - 03:42 PM

In debating eternal salvation or assurance of salvation it is vitally important that one makes the distinction between salvation of the spirit, salvation of the soul and salvation of the body. God in his Word applies a different meaning and a hugely different application to each.

So, it is important when using scripture supporting an OSAS or non-OSAS position to determine if the scripture you are quoting refers to the spirit, soul or body. To misinterpret God's intention on these points will lead to vast misunderstandings of the nature of eternal security of salvation as God has so carefully laid out for us in His Word.

So, to begin, there is salvation of the:

Spirit --

Romans 8:15-16 "For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:"

Soul --

James 1:21 "Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls."

Body --

1Corinthians 15:42-54 "So also [is] the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption: It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam [was made] a quickening spirit. Howbeit that [was] not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. The first man [is] of the earth, earthy: the second man [is] the Lord from heaven. As [is] the earthy, such [are] they also that are earthy: and as [is] the heavenly, such [are] they also that are heavenly. And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption. Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal [must] put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory."

Salvation of the spirit is secure for eternity because it is based on the new birth into God's family:

Galatians 4:4-6 "But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father."

And based on the eternal seed God puts in us when we are born again:

1John 3:9 "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."

It is an unbreakable covenant in which God gives us a down payment of the Holy Spirit:

2Corinthians 1:21-22 "Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, [is] God; Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts."

Ephesians 1:13 "In whom ye also [trusted], after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory."

And of course the ever-popular and much-debated:

John 10:28 "And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any [man] pluck them out of my hand."

Salvation of the Soul (mind, will and emotions) is a different matter:

If we do not walk in obedience to God's word we will grieve the Holy Spirit and experience his discipline.

Hebrews 12:6 "For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth."

A person, even one whose spirit is assured salvation, who chooses not to follow God's ways in his soul will experience the consequences of a defeated mind, will and emotions. The eternal consequences are a loss of rewards at the Judgment Seat of Christ.

I believe that scripture offered in support of losing salvation is actually describing a loss of rewards because of a sinful soul, and does not apply to the permanent spiritual salvation that we receive upon accepting Christ's gift.

Salvation of the body will be complete during our resurrection when our bodies will be saved from the destructive nature of sin:

Philippians 3:20-21 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

Until then, our earthly bodies will suffer physical consequences for our sins.

Failure to properly examine ourselves prior to communion for example:

1Corinthians 11:27-30 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink [this] cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of [that] bread, and drink of [that] cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this cause many [are] weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

I would encourage everyone who is using scripture to back an OSAS or a non-OSAS position to examine whether that portion of God's Word is meant to apply to the spirit, soul or body. I believe that a thorough exegesis of each verse with regard to this could prevent a world of misunderstandings and misinterpretations.

By the way, this post by me is not reflecting a desire to introduce yet another OSAS vs non-OSAS debate. This topic is really about the difference between the spirit, soul and body in God's Word as he instructs us in various areas -- one of which just happens to be eternal salvation.

I'm hoping that if the OSAS vs. non-OSAS debate continues elsewhere on this forum, as it always does seem to do, we might see more careful exegesis of scripture and less misinterpretation.

Dave

#2 chipwag64

chipwag64

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Christian
  • Pennsylvania

Posted 24 May 2009 - 01:58 PM

Interesting,

I don't believe that I have ever heard of salvation of the spirit before.
Dave, I was wondering if you could explain what that is for me.
I understand that we receive the Holy Spirit when we are converted and that we still possess our human nature that wars against the Holy Spirit during our earthly stay (I'm not sure if this is what you mean by spirit)?

Thanks,
Chip

#3 Dave

Dave

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Christian
  • Central California

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:29 PM

Interesting,

I don't believe that I have ever heard of salvation of the spirit before.
Dave, I was wondering if you could explain what that is for me.
I understand that we receive the Holy Spirit when we are converted and that we still possess our human nature that wars against the Holy Spirit during our earthly stay (I'm not sure if this is what you mean by spirit)?

Thanks,
Chip

View Post

Hi Chip,

Your words that I bolded say it exactly.

1Thesalonians 5:23 clearly states there is a difference between the three:

"And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and [I pray God] your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."

So, all one has to do is seek out which of the three God is talking about at any given point in scripture. A lot of misunderstandings would get cleared up.

Dave

#4 chipwag64

chipwag64

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Christian
  • Pennsylvania

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:24 AM

Dave,

Just wondering if there are any Biblical references to "salvation of the spirit (Spirit?)" as seperate from anything else such as soul?
The relations and interactions between soul and spirit are a difficult subject; but I'm unaware of any Biblical verses that touch on the salvation of the spirit as opposed to the soul.

Thanks,
Chip

#5 Dave

Dave

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Christian
  • Central California

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:05 AM

Dave,

Just wondering if there are any Biblical references to "salvation of the spirit (Spirit?)" as seperate from anything else such as soul?
The relations and interactions between soul and spirit are a difficult subject; but I'm unaware of any Biblical verses that touch on the salvation of the spirit as opposed to the soul.

Thanks,
Chip

View Post

Chip,

Salvation, once received, comes to the whole person. It's one of the many trinities of the Bible. The difference comes in how the three "persons" of each person react to that salvation. The spirit is saved forever. Period. The soul and body war against that saved spirit, are prone to temptations, and suffer consequences both here on earth and later at the Judgment Seat of Christ.

It's a beautiful thing to see when all three are in harmony with the Holy Spirit.

Dave

#6 chipwag64

chipwag64

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Christian
  • Pennsylvania

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:09 AM

Thanks Dave,

That makes sense, I agree totally!!

Chip

#7 the totton linnet

the totton linnet

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Friends, fellowship, stuff
  • Christian
  • Winchester, Hampshire

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:30 PM

Yes, I heartily agree, it is so, the battle is with the wants and lustings of the soul and the flesh and the mind of the flesh. It is strange that so many really well respected teachers see no distinction between soul and spirit. The fact is it is our spirits that are dead "slain in trespasses and sin" which is exactly why to unbelievers God is so remote even non-existent but when we are saved God brings our spirits back to life, we are born again, regenerated, our spirits actually become one with the Lord.
Now all this leads on to another HOT topic that I see debated everywhere among christians i.e. is there a 2nd work? [heavens forbid some say a 3rd work] the 2nd blessing, sanctification, the baptism of the Holy Ghost all that stuff.
Well a casual reading of acts would show that there is, Philip in Samaria and certain disciples that Paul met who had not heard that there was any Holy Spirit.
All I can think is that God will give you what you've heard in the gospel that is witnessed to you and what you believe Him for-I have never understood that thing about "God works in mysterious ways His wonders to perform" God confirms His word, you hear [or read His word]He gives you faith in your heart to ask Him for what is promised and He does it.
How does this connect with what Dave has shared? because this baptism is the overflowing of God's Spirit into our souls, our souls become His vessels.
It is all the difference between trying to live the Christ-like Christ-life and allowing Christ to live His life in us by the Holy Ghost.
This is so precious a work that if we have it we will not easily let it go, the Holy Spirit can be grieved, He can be greatly grieved and so it's our business to be attentive of Him, jealous even, walk softly as obedient children ought.
But He is gentle and gracious and suffers long with us
When I read the words of the church fathers [so-called] Ignatious and the like, I believe I am reading a different gospel to the apostolic gospel, and I think to myself that these men have ceased to walk with the Lord and that tells me why the Holy Spirit was withdrawn in some measure from the church-not His Presence but His manifest Presence-by the time of Ignatious and Justin Martyr the eucharist had become the focal point of worship-rank idolatry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users