Greetings From Scotland.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Alcatraz_*

Guest_Alcatraz_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:04 AM

Hello there,

I came across this site and decided to join as a member.

I want to make one thing very clear; I am not here to troll or flame, although the very concept of YEC flies in the face of everything I believe.

Just to clarify, whilst not an athiest, I am not overly religious. I have my beliefs, and they are my own.

I believe in evolution, that the world is a good bit more than 6,000 years old, and I believe the World is a sphere.

I take little to no stock in religious texts, as the texts were written by man, and therefore were open to manipulation, and in my opinion are moot as a reference source of proof.

That said, I have a legitimate interest in the YEC views.

Why?

At the end of the day, people have a right to believe in what they want to believe, and who am I to deny anyone their belief system, regardless of my own views on the topic in question. I like to see why people DO believe what they believe.

I may occasionally ask questions and make observations from my own perspective. Please don't take these questions and observations as attacks, they are simply my way of trying to understand a view which is a tad alien to me.

So, that's me. :lol:

#2 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7048 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:22 AM

Hi Alcatraz,

Welcome to EFT. I hope you learn what you came here looking for since our position is regularly maligned with mischaracterizations and straw arguments. However, if you are interested in the truth than you'll discover, that just like you, we believe in a spherical earth and a Universe that is a tad over 6000 years old too... about 13 years over. :lol:

Adam

#3 Guest_Alcatraz_*

Guest_Alcatraz_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:37 AM

Adam,

Thanks for the welcome.

I would like to add to what I said in my opening post if I may.

I have a general interest in the Theological beliefs of many groups. I'm not here to be converted or persuaded that the YEC is correct.

I am here to simply try and understand why you (and your other members) believe what you believe.

My Physics teacher used to say that if you don't listen to anothers view, no matter how absurd it may sound, you may be losing a fraction of a possible actuality.

Also, (time to be honest) I'm a budding novelist, and the understanding of the YEC POV would be helpful.

Thanks again,

John

#4 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7048 posts
  • Christian

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:45 AM

Hi John,

Time for me to be honest. :lol: ...

As long as you're here to ask questions and dialogue with us, plan on us asking questions and having discussions where we are intent on seeing you converted. Take a look at this when you get a chance and watch it the whole way to the end:

[godtube]0a822ef0c548d3725595[/godtube]

I'm not going to kid you. I talk with people about Jesus because I love them for Christ's sake and I want to see them saved. So I will be trying to evangelize you as long as you're here to ask questions. :lol:

Again, welcome aboard!

#5 Teo

Teo

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Debates, Video Editing, Gaming, Bible Study.
  • Christian
  • Romania

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:06 AM

Welcome to the forums. I hope you will have a great time here, and I hope you will find the truth you are looking for.

God bless.

#6 Preachbill

Preachbill

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Preaching the Word, FlightSimming.
  • Christian
  • Michigan

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:21 AM

Welcome to the forums..Hope you enjoy your time here.

#7 Jeff Wilhelm

Jeff Wilhelm

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Christian
  • Butler, PA

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:35 PM

Hello Alcatraz,
I was in Scotland once and fell in love with your country. I want to retire there but can't talk my wife into it.

I too am a newbie and would be more than happy to tell you why the earth is 6,013 years old. (With deference to Adam!)

I was an atheistic evolutionary biology teacher in the public schools here for 35 years before my conversion. It was partially the YEC viewpoint that changed me.

Welcome.

Jeff

#8 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7048 posts
  • Christian

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:44 PM

I too am a newbie and would be more than happy to tell you why the earth is 6,013 years old. (With deference to Adam!)

View Post

:o

#9 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:24 PM

Welcome to the boards.