Photo

Why Not Many Members Are Never Online At One Time.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:35 PM

Some might wonder how some forums have loads of members online while others do not. There is actually a trick to this that we do not use here. The trick is setting the forum clean out of old sessions (members and guests) to clean out once a week. If we did that here, there would appear to be several hundred people online at one time.

But because we get hackers here who like to hack into other people's accounts and hijack them. We set our clean out of old sessions to happen several times in one day. This keeps our members ad guests online count down, but it keeps the average hacker account hijacker from hijacking your account.

How do we know this goes on? The forum logs all activities of everyone including guests. Where they go and what they do. The only way a average hacker can hijack an account when the clean out is set to clean out frequently, is to try and change the password of the account they are trying to hijack.

Upon doing so the security part of this forum program kicks out a e-mail to the actual account holder and they message us asking what's going on. At this point we check our logs and we know who did what. Whether it was another member, or a guest.

We have had this happen more than once in the past few months. But I thought the members here should know we could make this forum look much bigger than it is by using the once a week session clean out like other forums do,but we also would be risking several accounts getting hijacked. You see, frequent session clean outs logs the hacker out before he hacks the account. Long session clean outs give the hacker all the time he needs to figure out how to hack in and go around security.

#2 Arch

Arch

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Australia

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:03 AM

Interesting. And here I was thinking it's coz I'm living on Australian time and everyone else is in America :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users