Born Again

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_George R_*

Guest_George R_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:59 AM

What does it mean to be born again? What is the reference to water and to spirit?

#2 Guest_The Deacon_*

Guest_The Deacon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:17 AM

To be "born again' is to be regenerated by the Holy Spirit, which brings a person into fellowship with God. The implication is that a new life has replaced the old. All men are born "dead in sins and trespasses", and completely estranged from God. The only remedy for that condition is a rebirth. As the Scriptures say "behold, the old has passed away, the new has come".

John 3:5 mentions water and the spirit which are two words for the same thing. They both express the grace of the spirit of God. The word 'water' has no reference to water baptism, or to actual common water because, without exception, where water baptism, or common water, is meant other words are also employed to make the meaning clear. And ceremonial baptism by water is but an outward sign of the change that has been made, by God, internally.

#3 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

Administrator / Forum Owner

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2502 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy going to Broncos games, my son's HS basketball & baseball games, and my daughter's piano & dance recitals. I enjoy playing basketball (when able). I occasionally play keyboards for my church's praise team. I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:16 AM

John 3:5 mentions water and the spirit which are two words for the same thing.

View Post

1 Peter 3:20-21 sums this up well:

…in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. There is also an antitype which now saves us--baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

I love how God interweaves symbolic relationships like this throughout the Bible!

#4 Guest_The Deacon_*

Guest_The Deacon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2005 - 02:50 PM

I love how God interweaves symbolic relationships like this throughout the Bible!

So do I!

#5 Daniel

Daniel

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Christian
  • Old Earth Creationist
  • Buchanan, GA

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:24 AM

All symbolism aside, those who have been born again can also make the comparison between the natural birth and the spiritual birth into fellowship with God. Though it's hard to explain to those who haven't yet experienced it. The closest verbal explanation I've heard someone give was along the lines of "an immense sensation of peace both within and with everyone you know (beyond that, to the point of Love), in addition to an almost boundless energy, you feel as if there is nothing you can't do".

I mean, for those that are born again, recall how you felt at that moment when you repented and came to God and your sins were forgiven. Was there ever a time in your life that you felt better than that--the hours, days or months that feeling stayed fresh with you (prior to the weight of the calling to witness falling upon you, which, while not overshadowing that feeling, does bring up others that dampen that joy. The concern for those still dead in their sins, the immense responsibility of using your gifts wisely in the exercise of them to the end of being the most effective witness you can, etc.)?

I feel I may have gone somewhat off topic with this. Oh well.

#6 Geezer

Geezer

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Judaism Orthodox
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • 3rd Rock from the Sun

Posted 10 March 2005 - 11:06 AM

Are the words "born again" in the NT? Or is this a term that has come into use since the NT was written.
An Orthodox Jew wondering.

#7 Guest_The Deacon_*

Guest_The Deacon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2005 - 06:06 AM

Are the words "born again" in the NT? Or is this a term that has come into use since the NT was written.
An Orthodox Jew wondering.

View Post

Yes they are, and from Jesus Himself.

Joh 3:1-10, There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit. Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be? Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?

#8 Geezer

Geezer

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Judaism Orthodox
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • 3rd Rock from the Sun

Posted 12 March 2005 - 07:18 AM

Aaah..got it. Thanks Deacon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users