#1 Ms.Butternut

Ms.Butternut

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Judaism non-orthodox
  • Atheist
  • Ohio

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:44 AM

There are a couple verses in the bible that refer to living water. It is common in my native language to tell someone they are living water when they are soaking wet in water or sweat. I believe it is in revelation that living water and no tears are in the same verse, are tears and sweat the same liquid? Am I reading into this too much or am I on to another meaning?

Can someone please explain to me what is meant by living water, I can't get past the meaning I have known and understood my whole life, but never in a biblical sense. Now I see it in the bible and I don't understand another meaning.

#2 the totton linnet

the totton linnet

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Friends, fellowship, stuff
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Winchester, Hampshire

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:51 AM

There are a couple verses in the bible that refer to living water. It is common in my native language to tell someone they are living water when they are soaking wet in water or sweat. I believe it is in revelation that living water and no tears are in the same verse, are tears and sweat the same liquid? Am I reading into this too much or am I on to another meaning?

Can someone please explain to me what is meant by living water, I can't get past the meaning I have known and understood my whole life, but never in a biblical sense. Now I see it in the bible and I don't understand another meaning.

View Post

The psalms likens God's word to honey from the honeycombe, could you describe the taste of honey? what about to somebody without the sense of taste, where would you begin? you will end up by saying that it can only be known experiencially, for those of us who have experienced the ecstacy of the Holy Spirit we say as Peter said it is joy unspeakable full of glory and we do like Jonathan of old did when he tasted honey we exhort others to come and taste for themselves.

#3 Ms.Butternut

Ms.Butternut

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Judaism non-orthodox
  • Atheist
  • Ohio

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:15 AM

I don't quite understand where you are heading with your response totton linnet.

I was looking for a more literal answer. Sweat and tears both have salt in them, I am wondering if this is the only inorganic substance in our bodies? The only substance that has no life, therefore without the salt (tears) we would be 100% organic life, living water, always living eternally. When did humanity become aware of inorganic chemistry? Certainly it couldn't have been when the bible was written yet there is an underlying reference towards it.

#4 the totton linnet

the totton linnet

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Christian
  • Winchester, Hampshire

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:32 AM

I don't quite understand where you are heading with your response totton linnet.

I was looking for a more literal answer. Sweat and tears both have salt in them, I am wondering if this is the only inorganic substance in our bodies? The only substance that has no life, therefore without the salt (tears) we would be 100% organic life, living water, always living  eternally. When did humanity become aware of inorganic chemistry? Certainly it couldn't have been when the bible was written yet there is an underlying reference towards it.

View Post

It is the fact that when we read or listen God's word and especially when we speak it and we find the enjoyment of it to our hearts to be explainable only in terms such as honey to the tongue that confirms , or is an added confirmation that the bible is indeed God's word.
Jesus said "is any man athirst? let him come to Me and drink. He that believeth in Me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water" this spake He of the Spirit which is given to those who believe.
We have recieved the Spirit and we have found it to be just exactly how Jesus here describes it~that's just another proof to us that God is real and His word is true.

#5 Ms.Butternut

Ms.Butternut

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Judaism non-orthodox
  • Atheist
  • Ohio

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:48 AM

It is the fact that when we read or listen God's word and especially when we speak it and we find the enjoyment of it to our hearts to be explainable only in terms such as honey to the tongue that confirms , or is an added confirmation that the bible is indeed God's word.
Jesus said "is any man athirst? let him come to Me and drink. He that believeth in Me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water" this spake He of the Spirit which is given to those who believe.
We have recieved the Spirit and we have found it to be just exactly how Jesus here describes it~that's just another proof to us that God is real and His word is true.

View Post

Living water is just a feeling, nothing literal?

#6 the totton linnet

the totton linnet

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Christian
  • Winchester, Hampshire

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:25 PM

Living water is just a feeling, nothing literal?

View Post

Not so, it is allegorical of something very literal~"this spake He of the Spirit which they who believe would recieve"

#7 Ms.Butternut

Ms.Butternut

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Judaism non-orthodox
  • Atheist
  • Ohio

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:38 PM

Not so, it is allegorical of something very literal~"this spake He of the Spirit which they who believe would recieve"

View Post

Very literal being eternal life and or living water. I mentioned taking the salt out of life and making it 100% organic would eliminate death since nothing inorganic would exist. So you don't think what I assumed is possible? I am trying to understand what we receive from Christ, that would be eternal life eventually. It's mentioned in revaluation that there would be no tears either, no salt, when we sit next to God. How do you correlate living water with no tears? I think I have a really good idea about it and I feel like you are totally dismissing what I have said to go on about something else. I understand you have to believe to receive the spirit, you keep telling me as though I don't believe or even have the spirit. So maybe I have the spirit too and I am sharing what I have received, I didn't read this anywhere and it just came to me. You are just repeating from the bible, I already have that.

#8 the totton linnet

the totton linnet

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Christian
  • Winchester, Hampshire

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:58 PM

Very literal being eternal life and or living water. I mentioned taking the salt out of life and making it 100% organic would eliminate death since nothing inorganic would exist. So you don't think what I assumed is possible? I am trying to understand what we receive from Christ, that would be eternal life eventually. It's mentioned in revaluation that there would be no tears either, no salt, when we sit next to God. How do you correlate living water with no tears?  I think I have a really good idea about it and I feel like you are totally dismissing what I have said to go on about something else. I understand you have to believe to receive the spirit, you keep telling me as though I don't believe or even have the spirit. So maybe I have the spirit too and I am sharing what I have received, I didn't read this anywhere and it just came to me. You are just repeating from the bible, I already have that.

View Post

It is true I am repeating from the bible but I am also telling my own daily experience nor am I dismissing anything.
The eternal life imparted by Jesus is by the Spirit, sure we have tears here on earth, what would you expect living in the valley of the shadow of death.

The simplicity of the gospel is this that our spirits now dead, slain in trespasses and sins must somehow be brought to life in a new spiritual birth. Sin is the killer but when Jesus died He offered His life through the eternal Spirit.

Let Him now take away your old sin life then you can recieve His new life, "He breathed on them and said recieve the Holy Spirit" He will breathe on YOU and impart the Holy Spirit to you. Inwardly you will come alive, you will be born again.

That's the Holy Spirit coming into you which Jesus promised~just ask Him, take away my sins and give me this new life.

The first thing that will happen is that you will have peace in your heart, then before long you will become aware of a new wonderful joy. But the fulness of the experience of "living waters" comes when you are reaching out to others and the Spirit of the Living God will flow through you to them.

#9 Dave

Dave

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Christian
  • Central California

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:12 PM

I'm not sure if my answer will be relevant to answering your question, Ms. Butternut, but maybe it can clear up the confusion a bit.

Throughout the Bible, water, waters, etc., is used as a type (or model) of Christ, often in a not-so-obvious way, but it is there nevertheless.

For example, when Moses struck the rock the thirsty Israelites were sustained with life-giving water. God instructed Moses to do that and God provided the water through his supernatural interaction.

In the allegorical sense, the waters represented Christ's giving all who choose him a new life.

However, Moses suffered terrible consequences later on when thirsty Israelites demanded that he strike a rock to produce water again. Even though it was exactly the same as what God told Moses to do previously, with favorable results, this time God punished Moses severely for his disobedience.

Why?

It isn't immediately clear unless you refer back to the allegorical part of the first rock/water episode. Christ's death on the cross was sufficient for one to be born again, forever and always, and it is not necessary for him to do it again. By Moses being disobedient and striking the rock again he was displaying a belief that man by his own power and strength could achieve himself what Christ did for us 2,000 years ago for all time; thereby undermining the message and power of Christ's sacrifice.

Anyway, the point is that most questions about confusing portions of scripture can be answered if you place Jesus Christ smack dab in the middle of them.

Hope this helps.

Dave

#10 Ms.Butternut

Ms.Butternut

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Judaism non-orthodox
  • Atheist
  • Ohio

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:43 PM

Hope this helps.

Dave

View Post

Thanks for your thoughts Dave but I want to get to the bottom of it, what is going to happen?

Revelation 7:13 Then one of the elders addressed me, saying, “Who are these, clothed in white robes, and from where have they come?” 14 I said to him, “Sir, you know.” And he said to me, “These are the ones coming out of the great tribulation. They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

15 “Therefore they are before the throne of God,
and serve him day and night in his temple;
and he who sits on the throne will shelter them with his presence.
16 They shall hunger no more, neither thirst anymore;
the sun shall not strike them,
nor any scorching heat.
17 For the Lamb in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd,
and he will guide them to springs of living water,
and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.”

This is describing eternal life, no tears, no salt! 100% organic life, NO DEATH. Isn't there supposed to be another place after this one? I bet there is no salt water there, only fresh water. AND there won't be any fish cuz we won't need to eat and we won't be thirsty for water because it will be abundant! But I think fishless too, that's kinda the direction this planet is heading with all the over fishing issues.

#11 Dave

Dave

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Christian
  • Central California

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for your thoughts Dave but I want to get to the bottom of it, what is going to happen?

Revelation 7:13 Then one of the elders addressed me, saying, “Who are these, clothed in white robes, and from where have they come?” 14 I said to him, “Sir, you know.” And he said to me, “These are the ones coming out of the great tribulation. They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

nor any scorching heat.

This is describing eternal life, no tears, no salt! 100% organic life, NO DEATH. Isn't there supposed to be another place after this one? I bet there is no salt water there, only fresh water. AND there won't be any fish cuz we won't need to eat and we won't be thirsty for water because it will be abundant! But I think fishless too, that's kinda the direction this planet is heading with all the over fishing issues.

View Post

I'm afraid I can't help you there. You are trying to read a whole lot more into God's word than was meant to be.

Dave

#12 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:58 PM

nor any scorching heat.

View Post

Here is a page that I am working on about eternity and how it works. It may answer some of your questions: http://creationwiki...._about_eternity

The questions you raised here have made me ponder some new things to add to that page.

#13 Ms.Butternut

Ms.Butternut

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Judaism non-orthodox
  • Atheist
  • Ohio

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:17 AM

Here is a page that I am working on about eternity and how it works. It may answer some of your questions: http://creationwiki...._about_eternity

The questions you raised here have made me ponder some new things to add to that page.

View Post

Oh good, see I am not all that bad! What did you take into consideration?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users