ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:34 PM

After running forums for 4 years, I have come to the conclusion that some derails are actually helpful and informative to the thread. So I have come up with a system of what is acceptable, and what is not.

1) Small derails (acceptable): Is when another subject pertaining to the one at hand, comes up and gets debated. It adds substance to the ongoing subject and is usually over in one page. Now I will allow it to go on for 2 pages if the other subject requires it in order to make each side understand the other side's position on the subject. But after the 2 page deal it needs to end so that the main subject is not forgotten.

2) Big derails (not acceptable): Is when someone just posts something out of the blue that really has nothing to do with the subject of the thread. If someone does this to your thread, or one you are debating in. Just report the post to one of the mods or admins and we will decide what kind of derail it is. Some we have to allow to go a little further to see if it actually helps the thread, Others it's clear right off the bat that it does not belong. These posts will either be edited, or deleted.

Now if a member is not known for causing such trouble like this, we will usually just delete and say nothing to them because we figure it was just a mistake. But if a member does this from time to time, we will warn and suspend if necessary. If it's blatantly done with intent to start an unwarranted argument. Then it can lead to a bannable offense.

Any questions just ask.

#2 Guest_Darkness45_*

Guest_Darkness45_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:53 PM

Now I will allow it to go on for 2 pages if the other subject requires it in order to make each side understand the other side's position on the subject. But after the 2 page deal it needs to end so that the main subject is not forgotten.

I'm no administrator, but I've seen it happen several times where mods have created new threads for tangent subjects. So I was wondering if mods and admins are still going to create new threads for these? It seems appropriate, especially if it goes on for 2 pages.

Now if a member is not known for causing such trouble like this, we will usually just delete and say nothing to them because we figure it was just a mistake.

I would like to add that if one of my posts was deleted I would like to know. Even if it was a simple message saying "we thought that this post X was off topic so we deleted it." Thanks.

#3 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7048 posts
  • Christian
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:26 PM

If people do a little civilian policing and notice a thread that needs split, let me know by PMing me. I don't mind splitting threads as long as they aren't a tangled mess.

#4 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:22 AM

I'm no administrator, but I've seen it happen several times where mods have created new threads for tangent subjects. So I was wondering if mods and admins are still going to create new threads for these? It seems appropriate, especially if it goes on for 2 pages.
I would like to add that if one of my posts was deleted I would like to know. Even if it was a simple message saying "we thought that this post X was off topic so we deleted it." Thanks.

View Post

Good points, I will revise this when I get a chance.

Also. deletes are not permanent. We have what is called a trash can. All deleted go there and can be moved back or edited and used if necessary. The trash can is in a place where it's not see-able by members. Only mods and admins. So your post is not permanently deleted when deleted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users