ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:23 PM

Side note to the debaters here: Whether creation or evolution is true or not, will not be determined by the debates at this forum. So the dogmatic attitude of defense is not really needed if truth is what you seek on a personal level. Group truth means one will always agree with the majority. Individual truth means you are open minded and are willing to ponder things beyond the mass majority. Because you want more answers, so you seek things beyond the norm.

It's not like when you go outside the box of your belief in reality for a minute that suddenly, the whole internet is going to follow. And what you believe will be proven wrong and reported on front page news :) . Be flexible, give your brain some exercise. Pondering things is not converting to believe in something else.

I see so many members come in here like they have toxic suits on. As if to say: What you believe is so toxic I don't want to be touched by it. So I put on my dogmatic suit of protection and go la la la, I cannot hear you and plow my head into the sand.

Even though I am YEC, I try and ponder everything. How do you think I come up with thread subjects that you don't see on other forums? I think outside the box of YEC to learn and get more truth. Being dogmatic all the time closes ones mind to what is available to learn from either side. And being dogmatic to the extreme also promotes hatred as one gets personal, prejudice and defensive about what they believe.

One cannot learn how to debate an opponent effectively unless one learns why they believe what they believe from them. Not what the majority says.

The reason I post this is because dogmatic people are usually people that waste our time on this forum because they refuse to even remotely ponder another view. Now when I say ponder, I don't mean consider. We are not about cramming things down people's throat. If you or anyone here converts, it will be your own decision, not what someone forced upon you.

The other side that I often get is that some think they will be a traitor to their side if they ponder what the opposition is saying. The greatest minds in the world ponder just about everything. Even Einstein pondered every thought there was to ponder and often made contradicting comments because of this. But that did not make him look stupid, or like he was turning from his side of what he wanted to believe. He wanted a truth that was beyond the norm and was willing to think outside the box to find it. Of course having a high IQ helps. But what if he was dogmatic with that IQ instead of being willing to think and ponder everything? His ideas would not have been so broad range, and would not have had the shaping effect on science as they had.

So if you want more interesting debates, and learn more about why your debate opponent believes what they believe. Then step out of that dogmatic box and ponder some things. You might find you like it like I did.

#2 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7053 posts
  • Christian
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:02 PM

Holding difficult ideas in tension, and acknowledging that you are doing it, is always to the credit of somebodies strength and integrity, in my book. Plus it allows for deep thinking and growth as your post stated. Nice work, Ikester. :)

#3 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:10 PM

After all these years, I've noticed two things:

1- Everyone here (Theist, agnostic, skeptic, atheist etc...) lives "on" and by faith.

2- Some are afraid to admit it, so they'll defend that stance dogmatically.

#4 PhilC

PhilC

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • UK

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:36 AM

Excellent post, ikester7579!

#5 Geode

Geode

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Mormon
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:01 AM

Excellent post, ikester7579!

View Post

Yes, I agree, and it is a pity that some continue to post here in the dogmatic fashion that he identifies.

#6 AFJ

AFJ

AFJ

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1625 posts
  • Interests:Bible, molecular biology, chemistry, mineralogy, geology, eschatology, history, family
  • Christian
  • Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

I concur wholeheartedly. Also I'm not a scientist, so even though I don't agree on a point with someone else, I respect alot of people here because they are into science. You can learn from them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users