Questions About The Garden And The Fall

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Darkness45_*

Guest_Darkness45_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:56 AM

Sorry for all the questions at once, but that is just how my brain works.

We all know the story of the Garden where Adam and Eve lived in, which they were then kicked out of after disobeying God. But what exactly is the Garden and what is going on in terms of other plant and animal life? If the garden is a specific location on Earth, were there other organisms outside of the garden while Adam and Eve lived inside? If yes, were these organisms under the same laws as those inside the garden (no death, super genes ect.), or are they under the law of sin (and thus die) as they are outside the garden? Also, if the same laws apply in and out of the Garden, what is the difference beyond geography (this would seem to cater to the metaphorical approach I talk about below)? But if there are different laws, then did man really bring sin into the world? If no plants or animals were outside the Garden, how then did Adam and Eve survive, and where did all the plant and animal life came from after the fall? When the fall came, did plant and animal life get kicked out too?

If the Garden is a metaphor for the entire planet when it was under the law of righteousness, and once man sinned (bringing sin into the world) man (along with all other life) was kicked out of the Garden (the law of righteousness) and was now in a world of sin. To me this makes more sense, and I think solves a lot of questions I have, but it would be compromising the literal interpretation as I see it expressed by YECs.

Thanks in advanced to your replies. :lol:

P.S. Since I assume that you will talk a little bit about your own interpretations a little, I thought that I would share mine. For me the Garden represents the innocents of a child, or the child's world. I was always taught that children go to Heaven if they die due to the age of accountability, as they are not there yet. Also, the Garden represents our own evolutionary past when we didn't know right from wrong. I say this because of the first part of Gen. 3:16 "To the woman he said, "I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children." The biological reason to this is because of our heads, they are very big. Bigger heads/brains in proportion to the body usually indicates intelligence in a species. Also, according to human evolution, we obtained our basic physical structure fairly early on, but received our big brains later down the line. (Just a little fyi, according to our brain's size in relation to our body, we should be born after spending 21 months in the womb, not 9 months. The reason, our big heads, if we waited for the whole 21 months we would not be able to fit through the birth canal, which is already specially designed to accommodate our big heads.) When Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge, one of the consequences is that child bearing becomes much more painful. The Serpent (Satin), is the metaphorical incarnation of our sinful nature. This figure represents all the evil in us, and an evil that is present in everyone (Ecclesiastes 7:20, Romans 3:10), and we are doomed to sin in our lives, no matter how hard we try (of course Paul in Romans 3 goes on to explain how we have life through Christ). I think the story has two main ideas. 1) We have a choice to follow God and do what is right, and we have the choice to disobey and rebel. 2) It emphasizes how everyone is a sinner and we all need redemption/sacrifices on our behalf. It is the perfect beginning to explain why we need Christ in the first place. When Adam and Eve are kicked out of the Garden, it represents each person when we reach that age of accountability, and are no longer under the protection of our innocents, as it has been tainted. In ancient Hebrew society when they reach that age (13), they are already expected to know, read and understand scripture, so while people may be able to make a case in the modern world about being innocent as an adult to God, sin ect., in the ancient world it wasn't a problem, it was taught to them at a very early age. Also, it represents humanity when we evolved to the point where we are no longer innocent to our own actions like animals are. And as I alluded earlier, this sets up the stage for Christ to come in (Gen. 3:15) as our redeemer and savior. This is just my thoughts on the meaning of the Garden and Adam/Eve during and after the fall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users