Banned Troll from a troll forum

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • US

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:18 AM

Exactly what the title asks. What is the Christian view of marijuana? No sarcasm attached to this question, just honest curiousity as I've never asked it before.

#2 bobabelever

bobabelever

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Arizona

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:58 AM

It's a plant :)

Just Kidding :blink:

I have a good level of experience with this topic :)

IMO, I do not think it could be included in the category of "everything in moderation".

It is a mind altering experience, non-hallucinogenic in most cases, but there are some very potent crops that can cause hallucinations. But because it puts you in a state that is different than "normal" it would be considered wrong if used for "recreational" reasons. I feel it is different than alchohol because even a small amount of most cannabis sativa can affect your senses, however 1 beer or glass of wine is likely not going to have much affect on most people.

Could the "drug" be used in medicine? IMO, I think so. Although I don't understand why "medical marajuana" is smoked, you can put it in brownies and the effect is very similar, even the same with "better" crops, AND the affect lasts longer actually. I'm sure it could be capsulized also. I recently went through a double-extraction of my two lower wisdom teeth, the "pain killers" they prescribed did help me - but I think we all know that "pain killers" don't really "kill" pain, they just make you not care about the pain :D . I think these things, when used for medical reasons, are OK as long as they do not become an addiction.

#3 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:20 PM

It's a plant  :)

Just Kidding :blink:

I have a good level of experience with this topic :)

IMO, I do not think it could be included in the category of "everything in moderation".

It is a mind altering experience, non-hallucinogenic in most cases, but there are some very potent crops that can cause hallucinations.  But because it puts you in a state that is different than "normal" it would be considered wrong if used for "recreational" reasons.  I feel it is different than alchohol because even a small amount of most cannabis sativa can affect your senses, however 1 beer or glass of wine is likely not going to have much affect on most people.

Could the "drug" be used in medicine?  IMO, I think so.  Although I don't understand why "medical marajuana" is smoked, you can put it in brownies and the effect is very similar, even the same with "better" crops, AND the affect lasts longer actually.  I'm sure it could be capsulized also.  I recently went through a double-extraction of my two lower wisdom teeth, the "pain killers" they prescribed did help me - but I think we all know that "pain killers" don't really "kill" pain, they just make you not care about the pain :D .  I think these things, when used for medical reasons, are OK as long as they do not become an addiction.

View Post

Anything that takes away your freedom to make the correct choices is wrong when taken for no other reason than to get high. It's like drinking wine or beer. I don't drink but see no problem with it for relaxation after a hard days work. But to get drunk where your actions are no longer controlled by you can be a sin.

Noah got into trouble when he drank grapes that were fermented on purpose to get drunk. Nothing would have happened if he did not do this.

Now some atheist try to claim that Noah's son had a s*xual relations with him. The Bible never implies that. So why did Noah get mad at his son? His son saw him naked, drunk, and passed out. And decided to tell the whole camp. A spiritual leader is supposed to set the example for the rest to follow. So not only did Noah's son try to destroy this, but if the people lose respect for Noah. He loses his position of authority as well.

So to run around and say: My father is drunk and naked in his tent was the son committing a great sin of shame against his father. Granted Noah should not have done that, but that does not give his son justification for what he did either. Two sins don't make it right.

#4 Mr.Razorblades

Mr.Razorblades

Banned Troll from a troll forum

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • US

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:56 PM

I've always believe in moderation when it comes to alcohol or any mind altering substance. Not only do I think it's completely ridiculous how some people act when they're completely hammered, although it is pretty funny sometimes, but I can't stand the feeling of my body not being able to control how fast the earth is spinning. I do believe that marijuana is a better substitute for alcohol in all instances.

#5 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:17 PM

I've always believe in moderation when it comes to alcohol or any mind altering substance.  Not only do I think it's completely ridiculous how some people act when they're completely hammered, although it is pretty funny sometimes, but I can't stand the feeling of my body not being able to control how fast the earth is spinning.  I do believe that marijuana is a better substitute for alcohol in all instances.

View Post

Actually, in some cases, alcohol can be good for you (see antioxidants in red wine etc...). In no cases is smoking anything good for you.

I am not condoning drinking or smoking anything, I'm just stating facts.

#6 Javabean

Javabean

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Harrisburg

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:17 PM

I'm a little surprised by the responses so far by the Christians.

Personally I feel the marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol. But the drug culture is what gets on my nerves.

Medically I am all for the use of it. It does an excellent job of fighting pain, and relaxing individuals.

Industrially it has a ton of uses.

For relaxation, if it wasn't for the law, I would have no issue with someone calming down from a crazy hard day with a joint or 2.

But that is my 2 cents, which weren't technically asked for :D

Ikester, I know you said you had no real issue with someone having a drink after a hard day's work, if Cannabis was legal, would you feel the same way? just curious really.

#7 bobabelever

bobabelever

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Christian
  • Arizona

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:18 PM

I said "I have a good level of experience with this topic" - I should make it clear, that was up to 16 years ago. Since then, I have not at all.

I do favor a beer every now and then though, but only as a matter of refreshment.

#8 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:28 PM

Personally I feel the marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol.  But the drug culture is what gets on my nerves. 

Please see post # 5 :D

#9 Bex

Bex

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, friends/family, animals, health topics, auto/biographies, movies (horror, comedy, drama, whatever, just as long as it's good), music, video games (mainly survival horror, or survival/adventure types), crossword puzzles, books on real life crime/serial killers/etc. Prophecy/miracles/supernatural/hauntings etc, net surfing/forums etc.<br /><br />One of my favourite forums for information on many topics:<br /><br />http://orbisvitae.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • New Zealand

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:08 PM

I've seen no benefits from either alcohol or marijuanna in my own life with either friends or family. It's shown me that it would be better to avoid them, than to consider "I'll just take them in moderation". That's great, then what happens when you find yourself becoming increasingly partial to them? And reliant upon them? Great for the family who often have to pick up the pieces (or the bill).

I have seen memory loss, behaviour changes, erratic moods, decrease in mental clarity and freshness, paranoia, an increased carelessness and disregard for others (this can include the law, finances, bills etc), increased reliance leading to addiction, a change in priorities.

It's taught me quite a lot to observe this in others. I tried it too of course, as a youth on occassion and thankfully had really bad reactions to it, both physically and mentally. Had I not? I may have wound up a regular user of either or both.

I'm not against these items being used for "medicinal purposes" if they do indeed provide relief in serious situations. I am however, against their recreational use, because of how easy they are to become reliant upon, addicted to and the results of such which can alter or even in some cases, destroy lives.

I find personally that the less toxic substances I have in my system, the better I am off for it and this includes my diet! In taking care of myself, I am better able to help myself and therefore help others. I am less moody, more energetic, and for me as a Christian, better able to serve! Though there are many disorders around that people suffer and cannot always do much about, there are many that can be helped by respecting the body that we have been given and giving it good things. Both these substances always made me further toxic and sick. Alcohol, marijuanna, cigarettes. I can't say I've seen the benefits!

#10 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:39 PM

Some Christians are carnal Christians, some are not. But God only tolerates (long suffering) so much sin from Christians.

Ikester, I know you said you had no real issue with someone having a drink after a hard day's work, if Cannabis was legal, would you feel the same way?  just curious really.

View Post

Drugs that hurt or kill should not be legal. And that includes prescription drugs.

#11 Javabean

Javabean

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Harrisburg

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:18 AM

Please see post # 5  :huh:

View Post

:blink: oh absolutely. Science has shown the benefits from having a glass of wine with your meal every night. And some have gone as far as to say that it could be any drink.

What I meant about alcohol being more dangerous is specifically when you over indulge.

With Marijuana you could get paranoid and not leave the house for your munchies.

With Alcohol you run the risk of driving drunk.

I think being paranoid is a lesser danger than driving drunk. But I realize not everyone who drinks drives drunk.

#12 Javabean

Javabean

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Harrisburg

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:22 AM

Some Christians are carnal Christians, some are not. But God only tolerates (long suffering) so much sin from Christians.
Drugs that hurt or kill should not be legal. And that includes prescription drugs.

View Post

I think the bible isn't completely clear on how much drink would be considered a sin. And I don't know if the bible would make a difference between alcohol and marijuana.

I personally think its a bad idea to over-indulge with either.

As far as drugs that hurt and kill is a little hard to quantify. A lot of medicinal drugs that exist are poisonous in quantities over the prescribed amount.

#13 AFJ

AFJ

AFJ

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1625 posts
  • Interests:Bible, molecular biology, chemistry, mineralogy, geology, eschatology, history, family
  • Christian
  • Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:21 AM

Personally I feel the marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol.  But the drug culture is what gets on my nerves. 

Medically I am all for the use of it.  It does an excellent job of fighting pain, and relaxing individuals.

Industrially it has a ton of uses.

For relaxation, if it wasn't for the law, I would have no issue with someone calming down from a crazy hard day with a joint or 2.

But that is my 2 cents, which weren't technically asked for :blink:

Ikester, I know you said you had no real issue with someone having a drink after a hard day's work, if Cannabis was legal, would you feel the same way?  just curious really.

View Post

Moderation and conscience toward God would be biblical I think. On the issue of smoking anything at all, it is not good for your body.

Christians are the temple of the Holy Spirit. We are to "be led by the Spirit." We are to "sow to the Spirit, and of the Spirit reap life." "But if you are led by the Spirit you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh." "He who destroys the temple of God, him shall God destroy."

Our bodies are not our own, they are God's. If you really believe this, and that God is Holy, then a thriving relationship with God will produce good fruit. You will shed these things like a snake sheds a skin.

#14 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:29 AM

:rolleyes: oh absolutely.  Science has shown the benefits from having a glass of wine with your meal every night.  And some have gone as far as to say that it could be any drink. 

What I meant about alcohol being more dangerous is specifically when you over indulge.

With Marijuana you could get paranoid and not leave the house for your munchies.

With Alcohol you run the risk of driving drunk.

I think being paranoid is a lesser danger than driving drunk.  But I realize not everyone who drinks drives drunk.

View Post

ANY smoke, inhaled into the lungs, is toxic to the lungs, regardless of medicinal purposes. Therefore, based on that fact alone, a glass of wine or a mug of beer, is better for you than even one toke off a doobie.

Once again; "I am not condoning drinking or smoking anything, I'm just stating facts." :rolleyes:

#15 Isabella

Isabella

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Cell biology, developmental biology, genetics, zoology, anthropology.
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Vancouver, Canada

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:30 AM

Actually, in some cases, alcohol can be good for you (see antioxidants in red wine etc...). In no cases is smoking anything good for you.

I am not condoning drinking or smoking anything, I'm just stating facts.

View Post

In general, alcohol is much, much worse than marijuana. I’m not disputing that there are benefits to a glass of wine with dinner. I drink (on occasion) but I never smoke, so this isn’t an opinion based on my personal preferences. I just thought I’d share some interesting facts regarding alcohol vs. marijuana use.

Alcohol, like most drugs, has a lethal dose. If you drink enough there’s a possibility that you could die of alcohol poisoning. This is because alcohol affects several parts of the brain, including the medulla and hypothalamus, which control autonomic functions like breathing and heart rate. Marijuana has no lethal dose because it doesn’t affect any key areas of the brain. It impairs learning, memory, time perception, ect. (as does alcohol) but you can’t die from that alone. Also, alcohol withdrawal is so severe that it can be fatal. Even heroine withdrawal, though unpleasant, can’t kill you.

In regards to the smoke, I agree that any smoke is bad for your lungs. But marijuana is not nearly as bad as cigarette smoke. For one thing, it has no harmful ingredients like tar. And while a cigarette user typically smokes several times each day, I’ve never heard of anyone chain smoking marijuana. Furthermore, it’s the nicotine in cigarettes that makes them really dangerous. Regular nicotine use can mess up your whole cardiovascular system, something that marijuana doesn’t do.

#16 Javabean

Javabean

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Harrisburg

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:23 AM

ANY smoke, inhaled into the lungs, is toxic to the lungs, regardless of medicinal purposes. Therefore, based on that fact alone, a glass of wine or a mug of beer, is better for you than even one toke off a doobie.

Once again; "I am not condoning drinking or smoking anything, I'm just stating facts."  ;)

View Post

The 'facts' of smoking marijuana are so up in the air I don't know what to believe :rolleyes: You have people on both sides of the argument trying to prove their points... it reminds me of other debates I've seen.

As far as how damaging it is...I think the truth is somewhere in the middle of the debate.

As far as how damaging it is to society, well I would say that if it was legal, then it would be about as abused as alcohol is. Which wouldn't be that bad. People on weed don't get violent, they get sleepy or paranoid. They don't drive drunk they get the munchies.

Without proof I think that the quality and safety of the drug would increase as opposed to it being cut with other more dangerous products.

And don't worry Ron I don't think you are condoning any sort of behavior. :rolleyes: personally I could care less about using either product... Well I do like a good beer now and again :unsure:

#17 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:24 AM

In general, alcohol is much, much worse than marijuana.  I’m not disputing that there are benefits to a glass of wine with dinner. I drink (on occasion) but I never smoke, so this isn’t an opinion based on my personal preferences. I just thought I’d share some interesting facts regarding alcohol vs. marijuana use.

Alcohol, like most drugs, has a lethal dose. If you drink enough there’s a possibility that you could die of alcohol poisoning. This is because alcohol affects several parts of the brain, including the medulla and hypothalamus, which control autonomic functions like breathing and heart rate. Marijuana has no lethal dose because it doesn’t affect any key areas of the brain. It impairs learning, memory, time perception, ect. (as does alcohol) but you can’t die from that alone. Also, alcohol withdrawal is so severe that it can be fatal. Even heroine withdrawal, though unpleasant, can’t kill you.

In regards to the smoke, I agree that any smoke is bad for your lungs. But marijuana is not nearly as bad as cigarette smoke. For one thing, it has no harmful ingredients like tar. And while a cigarette user typically smokes several times each day, I’ve never heard of anyone chain smoking marijuana. Furthermore, it’s the nicotine in cigarettes that makes them really dangerous. Regular nicotine use can mess up your whole cardiovascular system, something that marijuana doesn’t do.

View Post

There are many researchers that would disagree with your points concerning the non-lethality of marijuana smoke Isabella:

http://www.jointoget...-more-than.html

http://www.scienceda...90805110741.htm

http://pharmacology....izing_marijuana

http://www.ncbi.nlm....medRA&linkpos=4

http://www.ncbi.nlm....medRA&linkpos=5

http://www.ncbi.nlm....medRA&linkpos=2

http://www.notosmoke...g-marijuana.htm

http://www.justthink...aisHarmless.cfm

#18 AFJ

AFJ

AFJ

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1625 posts
  • Interests:Bible, molecular biology, chemistry, mineralogy, geology, eschatology, history, family
  • Christian
  • Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

In general, alcohol is much, much worse than marijuana.  I’m not disputing that there are benefits to a glass of wine with dinner. I drink (on occasion) but I never smoke, so this isn’t an opinion based on my personal preferences. I just thought I’d share some interesting facts regarding alcohol vs. marijuana use.

View Post

I see what you are saying Isabella. Here is the difference between marajuana and drinking in my opinion--in a Biblical sense--which I belive the question is framed in.. If you are drinking alot, then you are drunk, and drunkeness is a work of the flesh condemned in Galatians. It is a sin--no gray area there Biblically. But Paul told Timothy (his protege) to drink "a little" wine for his stomach's sake and "often infirmities" in I or II Timothy. Everyone knows alcohol in moderation has a medicinal effect. It can bring relaxation, and relieve stress--but it is not to be abused.

However, smoking cigarettes or pot is bad for your body and has no medicinal purpose at all. Dope is used with the express motivation to become "high" which is intoxication. In my opinion, being high is the same thing Biblically as drunkeness, because it does affect your judgment, as well it is sensual pleasure.

The following is based on my experience and is also Biblical. In my past I did hallucinogenic drugs like LSD, mescalin, and psyllocibin (mushrooms). I believe that in larger doses these drugs open you up to the spirit world. The greek word for witchcraft in the Bible is 'pharmekia' hence 'pharmaceutical.' Many tribes (African and Indian) who practice witchcraft use hallucinogens to aid their spiritual trances.

Weed is considered a mild hallucinogen, so I would say as a Christian--it's association as such makes it not a good thing for your body or spirit.

#19 Javabean

Javabean

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Harrisburg

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:37 AM

I see what you are saying Isabella.  Here is the difference between marajuana and drinking in my opinion--in a Biblical sense--which I belive the question is framed in..  If you are drinking alot, then you are drunk, and drunkeness is a work of the flesh condemned in Galatians.  It is a sin--no gray area there Biblically.  But Paul told Timothy (his protege) to drink "a little" wine for his stomach's sake and "often infirmities" in I or II Timothy.  Everyone knows alcohol in moderation has a medicinal effect.  It can bring relaxation, and relieve stress--but it is not to be abused.

However, smoking cigarettes or pot is bad for your body and has no medicinal purpose at all.  Dope is used with the express motivation to become "high" which is intoxication.  In my opinion, being high is the same thing Biblically as drunkeness, because it does affect your judgment, as well it is sensual pleasure.

The following is based on my experience and is also Biblical.  In my past I did hallucinogenic drugs like LSD, mescalin, and psyllocibin  (mushrooms).  I believe that in larger doses these drugs open you up to the spirit world.  The greek word for witchcraft in the Bible is 'pharmekia' hence 'pharmaceutical.'  Many tribes (African and Indian) who practice witchcraft use hallucinogens to aid their spiritual trances.

Weed is considered a mild hallucinogen, so I would say as a Christian--it's association as such makes it not a good thing for your body or spirit.

View Post

I can agree with most of your post AFJ. I would contend that there is "no medicinal" purpose for marijuana. It has great pain killing applications, as well as one of the best anti-depressants around.

I would say this. Just because something can be abused doesn't mean that it should necessarily be illegal, or bad to use in moderation. And Marijuana, like alcohol can be used in moderation very easily.

So i think biblically it would be like this. If it is used in moderation, to help with anxiety/depression/chronic pain then it would be fine. If used for the soul purpose of getting high, then that would be the sin.

Does that make sense to anyone? ;) sometimes when I post early in the morning I don't always make the points I'm trying to make successfully.

#20 Bex

Bex

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, friends/family, animals, health topics, auto/biographies, movies (horror, comedy, drama, whatever, just as long as it's good), music, video games (mainly survival horror, or survival/adventure types), crossword puzzles, books on real life crime/serial killers/etc. Prophecy/miracles/supernatural/hauntings etc, net surfing/forums etc.<br /><br />One of my favourite forums for information on many topics:<br /><br />http://orbisvitae.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • New Zealand

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:06 AM

I can agree with most of your post AFJ.  I would contend that there is "no medicinal" purpose for marijuana.  It has great pain killing applications, as well as one of the best anti-depressants around.

I would say this.  Just because something can be abused doesn't mean that it should necessarily be illegal, or bad to use in moderation.  And Marijuana, like alcohol can be used in moderation very easily.

So i think biblically it would be like this.  If it is used in moderation, to help with anxiety/depression/chronic pain then it would be fine.  If used for the soul purpose of getting high, then that would be the sin. 

Does that make sense to anyone?  ;) sometimes when I post early in the morning I don't always make the points I'm trying to make successfully.

View Post

I see your point Java, but consider this. If it is made legal, who is going to worry about the "correct" use of it? Except those who probably don't agree with its use in the first place.

I don't believe it should be made legal as far as "recreational" use goes. Moderation means little when it becomes an addiction or at least "regular" use. It should be medicinal use only for particular medical problems. What happens if it's legal? No restrictions at all. What happened here in NZ is they lowered the drinking age, because they decided "they're doing it anyway". All this did, was create a far bigger problem with youth drinking in NZ. Now we are far worse off than before.

Making something like this legal for any recreational use would be a big mistake IMO. People (youths especially) will smoke it like cigarettes openly and not even worrying about consequences because it's now "legal", thus encouraging others to do the same - e.g. their peers and those even younger. I have seen what it does to people. Memory problems, loss of clarity, being high and not concentrating on much else, changes in behaviour/personality/mood. I have even gotten high from someone else smoking it near me. Even though I had none myself.

There are enough cigarette/alcohol related problems already without adding yet another and making it legal as well.

Sorry, I think it would spell big problems. This is how it always begins. Just a little of this, or a little of that, in moderation and it'll be ok. But once you let a drug in, there is no telling what it may do to any given individual, because it is so easily addictive. Also, teachers in school have to teach kids already that are often high! This makes their job so much more difficult.

This is potent stuff, it's a drug and that's exactly how it ought to be treated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users