ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:27 PM

I just got this today, it sounded legit but I google it anyway to make sure and found it was a scam.

Hello Ma/Sir,

My name is Balin Fulton, A representative of Flash Concepts Inc,This is an
awareness to let the public know that we have a vacancy position of a mystery
shopper in our company and we would like to know your interest in working for
Flash Concepts Inc As a mystery shopper.Carefully read the attachment file for more detail

Thanks
Balin Fulton.
Flash Concepts Inc.

It came with a file to open which said:

Hello Ma/Sir,

My name is Balin Fulton, A representative of Flash Concepts Inc,This is an
awareness to let the public know that we have a vacancy position of a mystery
shopper in our company and we would like to know your interest in working for
Flash Concepts Inc As a mystery shopper. You will work and shop together for
pleasure and the pay is $400 weekly on Part time basis, you only work 2-3hours,
twice in a week.

Kindly provide the below information for assessment and registration of the
company. Kindly send the requested information to (brianfulton2010@aol.com)

Full Legal Name,
Address,
City,
State,
Zip code
and Home and Cell #

I await your quick responce.

Thanks

Balin Fulton.
Flash Concepts Inc.

Don't fall for it.

The reason I almost did is because I do business with a flash website for my website. So at first I thought they were offering me a job. Good thing I checked it out.

#2 falcone

falcone

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • Scotland

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:27 AM

Any unsolicited email offering you something for nothing should be deleted. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Other alarm bells from this email:
1. Note the use of 'Dear Ma/Sir', and not 'Dear Mr Ikester7579'
2. Note the poor use of English.
3. You were asked to reply to someone @aol.com, not @flashcomminications.com

There were (and presumably still are) a lot of scams originating in Nigeria a few years ago, and they could be quite sophisticated. Despite my warnings, a friend entered into a deal to sell some comminications equipment to someone based in Nigeria following an unsolicited email. It wasn't a high value deal and he decied to risk it. So he sent the goods off and was paid shortly afterwards. So far, so good.

A month or so later, the same person contacted him again looking for considerably more equipment. Past experience suggested everything was legitimate, so my friend sent off the equipment. End result? The credit card being used was stolen, the 'customer' in Nigeria disappeared, and my friend ended up being 'scammed' for around $10k of product.

Ikester (and anyone else reading), NEVER open attachments from sources you don't recognise or trust. Even if it looks like it's just pdf, text, image or something else benign.

#3 Phil

Phil

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Christian
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Canada

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:34 PM

My wife once got an email about a transaction for her paypal account in the amount of about $360 (she didn't buy anything for that amount). There was a link to file an appeal if the transaction was not approved. The link led to a site that looked exactly like the paypal site where you would enter your email and password to get into your paypal account. The address though was paypal.****.com and not actually paypal.com.

You can never be too careful.

#4 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:30 PM

Yeah, we actually had a thread going on the forum about that about a year ago. We all actually were making fun of it and were going to it putting in bogus e-mails and passwords. It's probably the same people. some people are to trusting and would fall for that,

Paypal actually has a scam report e-mail. You just post the link and say it's a scam and they look into it.

#5 Mazzie101

Mazzie101

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Christian
  • Agnostic
  • NSW, Australia

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

Sometimes these email scams have two hopes. Firstly that you will reply and then you will be asked for money. Secondly that you open the attachment. The attachment may contain a virus that may allow the scammer to access your passwords etc.

Make sure your PC is clean.

#6 menes777

menes777

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Wichita, KS

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:59 AM

I guess the scammers figured that only Christians come to this site. I got this :lol:

Dearest in the lord,

I am Mrs Felicia.H.Koroma ,from Sierra Leone.I am married to late Mr. Joseph Koroma, who worked with Sierra Leone Embassy in Ivory Coast for Twenty-Six years before he died in the year 2003,after a brief illness that lasted for only five days. We were married for Eighteen years with a duaghter (Edvige) who later died in a motor accident. Before the untimely death of my husband,we were both born again Christians(from Muslim to Christianity). And since after his death I decided not to remarry or get a child outside my matrimonial home which the Bible is against. When my late husband was alive he deposited the sum of (US$2.5M )Two Million,Five hundred Thousand United States Dollars) in a General Trust Account with a prime bank in Abidjan Cote d Ivoire.
Presently,this money is still with the bank. Following my ill health, being a victim to cancer , I have decided to donate this fund to a Christain organizations (Church or person) that will utilize this fund the way I am going to instruct herein,according to the desire of my late husband. I want this fund to be used in Christain Activities like,Orphanages,Christain schools, and Churches for propagating the word of God and to endeavour that the house of God is maintained.The Bible made us to understand that "Blessed is the hand that giveth". I took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit this money and my husband relatives are not Christians and I don't want my husband's efforts to be used by unbelievers.I don't want a situation where this money will be used in an ungodly way.
This is why I am taking this decision. I am not afraid of death hence I know where I am going. I know that I am going to be in the bosom of the Lord. Exodus 14 VS 14 says that "the lord will fight my case and I shall hold my peace". I don't need any telephone communication in this regard because of my health as well the presence of my husband's relatives around me .I don't want them to know about this development. As soon as I receive your reply I shall give you the contact of the bank here in Abidjan. My happiness is that I lived a life of a worthy Christian. Whoever that Wants to serve the Lord must serve him in spirit and Truth. Please always be prayerful all through your life as well commit me into your daily prayers. Contact me on this e-mail address:(feliciakoroma@hosanna.net), any delay in your reply will give me room in sourcing another Church for this same purpose. Please assure me that you will act accordingly as I stated herein. Hoping to receive your reply immediately .

Remain blessed in the Lord.
Sister Felicia Koroma,
Avenue 4 Marcory residential
14 bp 211 Abidjan 14

#7 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:49 PM

It's not being done through this site. Your e-mail address is not displayed or given out. If someone here sends a e-mail to another member, the forum program acts as a go between e-mail program. Never revealing to either side the other person's address. The only info given is that it was done through the forum program.

The spam is usually done through random e-mail spam bots. Like my yahoo account. They don't even have to have the e-mail exact. If it's close to mu e-mail address, it defaults to me. 90% of the span e-mail I get is not even my correct address.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users