Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • uk

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:13 PM

Thread to debate or discuss what is inside the earth. This is also relevant to the Noachian deluge, as my personal beliefs (and others) relate to to this topic.

The deepest hole ever drilled into the earth was the the SG-3 borehole which is 12.3 km deep, thus visual knowledge of the Earth's interior only extends that far.

We don't know what exists below this. Some say we can make accurate guesses or predictions by using Seismic technology, however this is not true since guessing, predicting or assuming is not asolute fact, truth or knowing.

There are different theories as to what exists inside the earth:

1. Many believe it's just molten rocks with different levels leading to a very hot core:

Posted Image

2. A minority believe the earth is actually hollow, there are different proposed models for this:

Posted Image

3. My personal belief, and a scientific view held by quite a few Christians a few hundred years ago, that inside the earth is water. The Bible says that the water for the Noachian deluge came from Tehom, the deep (Genesis 7: 11). The Bible also says that this watery deep sit's below the earth.

Posted Image

Thomas Burnet

Thomas Burnet in his excellent book Sacred Theory of the Earth (1681) detailed how the water for the flood of Noah must have come from undernearth the earth.

''The thesis of this work focused upon the breaking up of "the fountains of the great deep" as the cause of the flood, as described in Genesis 7:11, and it presented a model of the earth's structure with ample stores of water within subterranean chambers to cause the Noachian flood. The waters of the present day oceans, Burnet believed, were insufficient to have caused the deluge, which Burnet regarded as world wide in its effects.''
http://www.sentex.net/~tcc/burnet.html

Posted Image

Illustration from Thomas Burnet´s book. 1st drawing - Parts of the crust of earth broke up releasing water from the deep (Tehom). 2nd drawing - this water covered the earth and 3rd drawing water finally flowing back in the grooves or holes in the earth forming the earth's Islands and continents etc.

Modern science discoveries which seem to show support for Burnet's theory:

Huge 'Ocean' Discovered Inside Earth
http://www.livescien...ng_anomoly.html

Inner Earth May Hold More Water Than the Seas
http://news.national...waterworld.html

#2 Phil

Phil

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Christian
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Canada

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:45 PM

We don't know what exists below this. Some say we can make accurate guesses or predictions by using Seismic technology, however this is not true since guessing, predicting or assuming is not asolute fact, truth or knowing.

View Post

It seems that the links you are using are using guesses or predictions based on seismic evidence. In the first link that you gave they used seismic technology to detect the ocean. Didn't you disregard this type of evidence in the above quote? The model that they are using to indicate vast quantities of water in the second link is the model that has been built with seismic technology regarding the different mantles.

I'm not saying you're wrong, you may very well be right about the amound of water in the earth. But at first glance what you reject as evidence and what you accept as evidence seems to be a double standard.

Just thought I'd point that out :D

#3 Cassiterides

Cassiterides

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Christian
  • uk

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:42 PM

It seems that the links you are using are using guesses or predictions based on seismic evidence.

Right, hence why the article says in bold:

''Inside Earth - Scientists don't actually know what lies below.''

It is a mere guess or assumption. Seismologist's don't believe they know for definate what is inside the earth, all they can do is guess, make assumptions or make models.

The links i provided are only models or assumptions. What direct evidence can there be unless we go down there ourselves to observe what is inside?

Only evolutionists confuse assumptions and guesses or theory with absolute fact.

#4 Phil

Phil

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Christian
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Canada

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:52 PM

Only evolutionists confuse assumptions and guesses or theory with absolute fact.

View Post

Only evolutionists confuse...? On this forum I'm constantly finding these digs at those who accept evolution but the evolutionists here have to walk on eggshells for fear of being suspended or banned. I think we should both play by the same rules. If we can't make rude generalizations about creationists then you should not be able to make rude generalizations about evolutionists. You could have left that last line out of your post and the post would have had the same meaning.

#5 Cassiterides

Cassiterides

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Christian
  • uk

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

Only evolutionists confuse...?  On this forum I'm constantly finding these digs at those who accept evolution but the evolutionists here have to walk on eggshells for fear of being suspended or banned.  I think we should both play by the same rules.  If we can't make rude generalizations about creationists then you should not be able to make rude generalizations about evolutionists.  You could have left that last line out of your post and the post would have had the same meaning.

View Post

And you should leave my thread. You only posted here with the intention of trying to put a hole or flaw in my original post, when that failed you resort to making yourself look like a victim. I saw you do this in the other thread with ron.

If you don't have anything to contribute to the discussions, don't bother posting.

#6 Phil

Phil

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Christian
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Canada

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

And you should leave my thread.

Alright this will be my last post in this thread.

You only posted here with the intention of trying to put a hole or flaw in my original post,

This is a debate forum. I thought that pointing out the errors in peoples posts was expected.

when that failed

I didn't fail. I was merely pointing out that you said seismic measurements were guesses but then to give weight to your view you referred to articles that used seismic instruments. That's all I was saying and that is a fact. What that means hasn't been discussed yet.

you resort to making yourself look like a victim.

Did you or did you not insult me when you said I don't know the difference between a guess and a fact?

Anyways, I really have no problem with the notion of water being under the earth's surface. I'll leave this thread alone if that's what you wish.

#7 Guest_tharock220_*

Guest_tharock220_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:46 PM

Posted Image

Thomas Burnet

Thomas Burnet in his excellent book Sacred Theory of the Earth (1681) detailed how the water for the flood of Noah must have come from undernearth the earth.

''The thesis of this work focused upon the breaking up of "the fountains of the great deep" as the cause of the flood, as described in Genesis 7:11, and it presented a model of the earth's structure with ample stores of water within subterranean chambers to cause the Noachian flood. The waters of the present day oceans, Burnet believed, were insufficient to have caused the deluge, which Burnet regarded as world wide in its effects.''
http://www.sentex.net/~tcc/burnet.html

Posted Image

Illustration from Thomas Burnet´s book. 1st drawing - Parts of the crust of earth broke up releasing water from the deep (Tehom). 2nd drawing - this water covered the earth and 3rd drawing water finally flowing back in the grooves or holes in the earth forming the earth's Islands and continents etc.

Modern science discoveries which seem to show support for Burnet's theory:

View Post

You do realize that both of the links you posted do agree with contemporary geology right???

The water in the mantle is chemically bonded to the crystalized minerals and not liquid water. How were the bonds broken for the flood then reformed, all in the time it took for the flood to happen and recede???

#8 Hawkins

Hawkins

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Christian
  • Old Earth Creationist
  • Hong Kong

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:36 PM

And coincidently God gave Moses rocks as water supply. :D

The core of earth may also have a metallic liquid ocean and a cool down metallic core to produce the magnetic north and south poles. And it is said that the poles reverse every 25 mil. years, but the last reverse is already 75 mil. years ago.

#9 Guest_tharock220_*

Guest_tharock220_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:16 PM

And coincidently God gave Moses rocks as water supply.  :rolleyes:

The core of earth may also have a metallic liquid ocean and a cool down metallic core to produce the magnetic north and south poles. And it is said that the poles reverse every 25 mil. years, but the last reverse is already 75 mil. years ago.

View Post

The poles are produced by currents in the liquid outer core. The inner core is not cool, but rather the temperature is so great that the metal cannot liquefy.

#10 Cassiterides

Cassiterides

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Christian
  • uk

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:26 PM

The poles are produced by currents in the liquid outer core.  The inner core is not cool, but rather the temperature is so great that the metal cannot liquefy.

View Post

''And it can't be full of molten lava because the Earth has a magnetic field. The magnetic fields touch the poles and the Earth serves as a conductor to close the circuit. If the inner core of the Earth had the temperatures which the Molten Core Theory stipulates that it does, then any magnetic properties would be lost as heat destroys magnetism. And it doesn't take too much heat- this point is called the Curie Point. So the existence of the Earth's magnetic field indicates that the core is not molten nor hot.'' -- http://www.holloworbs.com/

Not saying i agree with the entire above link, however it does raise an interesting point. How can the earth be hot inside when heat destroys magnetism?

#11 Guest_tharock220_*

Guest_tharock220_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:10 PM

''And it can't be full of molten lava because the Earth has a magnetic field. The magnetic fields touch the poles and the Earth serves as a conductor to close the circuit. If the inner core of the Earth had the temperatures which the Molten Core Theory stipulates that it does, then any magnetic properties would be lost as heat destroys magnetism. And it doesn't take too much heat- this point is called the Curie Point. So the existence of the Earth's magnetic field indicates that the core is not molten nor hot.'' -- http://www.holloworbs.com/

Not saying i agree with the entire above link, however it does raise an interesting point. How can the earth be hot inside when heat destroys magnetism?

View Post

Heat doesn't destroy magnetism. The Sun has a giant magnetic field.

The Curie temperature is where a material no longer attracts to a magnet or can be made into a magnet. I already said the Earth's magnetic field is formed by iron and nickel currents not by the metals themselves.

Also, I made a typo earlier. The inner core is solid because of the pressure on it.

#12 Cassiterides

Cassiterides

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Christian
  • uk

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

Heat doesn't destroy magnetism.  The Sun has a giant magnetic field.

The Curie temperature is where a material no longer attracts to a magnet or can be made into a magnet.  I already said the Earth's magnetic field is formed by iron and nickel currents not by the metals themselves.

Also, I made a typo earlier.  The inner core is solid because of the pressure on it.

Are you aware scientists don't know the cause of the earth's magnetic field? The most accepted model, is the Dynamo theory, however it's never been proven and is just a theory.

- ''On the whole we must express our opinion that the general cause of the Earth's magnetism still remains one of the mysteries of cosmical physics''
- Sir George Biddell Airy

The dynamo theory relies on the assumption that the interior of the earth is hot. However this is just all a guess, we don't know unless we go down there.

#13 b00tleg

b00tleg

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • Meridian, Idaho

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:46 PM

Are you aware scientists don't know the cause of the earth's magnetic field? The most accepted model, is the Dynamo theory, however it's never been proven and is just a theory.

- ''On the whole we must express our opinion that the general cause of the Earth's magnetism still remains one of the mysteries of cosmical physics''

The dynamo theory relies on the assumption that the interior of the earth is hot. However this is just all a guess, we don't know unless we go down there.

View Post

So my question is this. What is the basis of the assumption that the inside of the earth is hot?

#14 Cassiterides

Cassiterides

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Christian
  • uk

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:17 AM

So my question is  this. What is the basis of the assumption that the inside of the earth is hot?

View Post

Uniformatarianism.

#15 Geode

Geode

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Mormon
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:57 AM

Uniformatarianism.

View Post

I'm interested in how you feel the conclusion about the earth's core is reached through a process that involves Uniforitarianism. Please explain.

#16 Cassiterides

Cassiterides

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Christian
  • uk

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

I'm interested in how you feel the conclusion about the earth's core is reached through a process that involves Uniforitarianism. Please explain.

The model uniformitarians/evolutionists believe states that the earth was created by a process of dust/gas and 'planetisimals' joining together which took billions or millions of years.

None of the above though can be observed, that is why it is all theoretical, just how the inside of the earth is not known. We can only know if we go down inside it, but the deepest hole ever drilled was only a few miles.

#17 Guest_tharock220_*

Guest_tharock220_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:12 AM

View Post

It isn't a guess. The interior of the Earth(starting from the crust) is heated by a number of things, radioactivity, pressure, friction, etc. The Earth generates heat. You might not believe it because we've never been down there, but people are actually using it.

As for the dynamo theory, sigh....I just can't explain what theory means for the 87564th time.

#18 b00tleg

b00tleg

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • Meridian, Idaho

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

It isn't a guess.  The interior of the Earth(starting from the crust) is heated by a number of things, radioactivity, pressure, friction, etc.  The Earth generates heat.  You might not believe it because we've never been down there, but people are actually using it. 

As for the dynamo theory, sigh....I just can't explain what theory means for the 87564th time.

View Post

I know why gravity is both a fact and a theory. :lol: //This response is meant to add +7 levity to this thread

#19 Uncle Bud

Uncle Bud

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Medina, OH

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:17 AM

Maybe I am missing something but why cant it just be that we know the inside of the earth is hot because we know thats where hell is located, and, duh, its full of fire?

Theres evidence of this all around for instance at yellowstone natl park which has a famous geezer. Old Faithful. The water there gets hot and shoots up because it's hot, every so often like clock work. If the water inside the earth was cold, it would not do that in fact it might even freeze. Also there are many hot springs which people pay a lot of money to go to and soak in the hot waters, this is because the water coming up is already naturally heated, which is probably from heat underneath it which probably is coming from hell, even the ancient Greeks knew where hell was, why do you think they called the UNDER world? :lol:

If you want more proof there also is a lake in Japan thats hot all the time, that Macqake (sp?) monkeys are always sitting in!!!!The thing being that Japan is not even connected to Yellowstone park so how could the same thing be heating the water in both places, but if it was hell it would throw heat up in all directions at onece, which is exactly what we see when we look at the earth, heated lakes in every country. Not antartica, I guess, LOL, so no one throw that one at me!!!!:-)

Im not trying to be rude, just saying that sometimes we make stuff harder than it is by wondering, gosh, what's inside the earth, when all we have do is open the bible and see that the answer is right there, just like always. I for one dont think we should be drilling all these deep holes way way into the ground because it might look like were trying to get closer to hell when we SHOULD be getting FURTHER away from it if that makes sense, which might offend God.

Drilling for oil is okay though cause that's where it is, of course, and thats where God wanted us to find it although it makes you wonder if the thing in the gulf by Louisiana is not some kind of warning from God to back it off a little? Which goes back to my point of maybe angering God, by keep going closer and closer to hell, its just something to think about.

#20 Cassiterides

Cassiterides

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Christian
  • uk

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:05 PM

Maybe I am missing something but why cant it just be that we know the inside of the earth is hot because we know thats where hell is located, and, duh, its full of fire?

Water or the watery deep is described as under the earth:

Exodus 20: 4 -

''You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.''

Psalm 136: 6 -

''To him that stretched out the earth above the waters: for his mercy endureth for ever''

Deuteronomy 33:13 -

''Moses said this about the tribes of Joseph: "May their land be blessed by the LORD with the precious gift of dew from the heavens and water from beneath the earth''

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users