BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • Meridian, Idaho

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:31 PM

Did Noah get a sampling of all animals that were alive on the earth before the flood, or did some get left behind and perish in the flood?

#2 b00tleg

b00tleg

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • Meridian, Idaho

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:33 AM

Did Noah get a sampling of all animals that were alive on the earth before the flood, or did some get left behind and perish in the flood?

View Post

Perhaps I asked a dumb question? I mean this could really be answered with a yes or a no if anyone is concerned about giving to much time to a complicated answer. All I'm asking is did a sampling of all the animals alive at the time of the flood make on the ark, or did only most of them make it, or some of them, or just a few?

#3 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:27 AM

The question is like a question you can get from many skeptic sites like: http://www.skepticsa...e.com/index.htm

So if I answer, will the next question be one just like off one of these sites?

We get people on this forum all the time asking these questions with ready made skeptic answers. So most here recognize it and are not really interested.

#4 nortonthe2nd

nortonthe2nd

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Oregon

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:59 AM

According to Genesis 7, everything got taken:
8 Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that creepeth upon the earth,

9 There went in two and two unto Noah into the ark, the male and the female, as God had commanded Noah.

However, I've also heard creationists say that the dinosaurs and other extinct creatures died out in the flood. Perhaps someone would like to clarify this?

#5 b00tleg

b00tleg

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • Meridian, Idaho

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:03 AM

The question is like a question you can get from many skeptic sites like: http://www.skepticsa...e.com/index.htm

So if I answer, will the next question be one just like off one of these sites?

We get people on this forum all the time asking these questions with ready made skeptic answers. So most here recognize it and are not really interested.

View Post

And sometimes, a question is just a question. More to the point, I was hoping to get some clarification on a question that occured to me while thinking about noah and the flood. Did a sampling of all the animals make it onto the ark at the time of the flood? If so, my next question was simply this, if a sampling of all animals made it on to the ark, what is the biblical explanation for all the fossils of animals in forms that are no longer alive today. What I mean by forms are all the fossils of animals that simply don't match up morphologically to animals that are alive today.

Does the bible explain why wooly mammoths didn't survive but elephants did? And note, I'm not bringing up evolution, I'm not arguing evolution has to be right or anything of the sort. I'm only interested in the biblical explanation.

#6 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:14 AM

View Post

Genesis 7

1 The LORD then said to Noah, "Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in this generation. 2 Take with you seven of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and two of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate, 3 and also seven of every kind of bird, male and female, to keep their various kinds alive throughout the earth. 4 Seven days from now I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the earth every living creature I have made."

#7 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:05 AM

And sometimes, a question is just a question. More to the point, I was hoping to get some clarification on a question that occured to me while thinking about noah and the flood. Did a sampling of all the animals make it onto the ark at the time of the flood? If so, my next question was simply this, if a sampling of all animals made it on to the ark, what is the biblical explanation for all the fossils of animals in forms that are no longer alive today. What I mean by forms are all the fossils of animals that simply don't match up morphologically to animals that are alive today.

Does the bible explain why wooly mammoths didn't survive but elephants did? And note, I'm not bringing up evolution, I'm not arguing evolution has to be right or anything of the sort. I'm only interested in the biblical explanation.

View Post

Noah took a representation of all of the kinds of animals. Of course, only 2 or 7 were on the ark, so there would be fossils of those kinds of animals that were not on board. In addition, most of the wooly mammoth remains found are due to death at the end of the ice age.
From http://creation.com/...-should-not-use

‘Woolly mammoths were snap frozen during the Flood catastrophe.’ This is contradicted by the geological setting in which mammoths are found. It’s most likely that they perished toward the end of the Ice Age, possibly in catastrophic dust storms. Partially digested stomach contents are not proof of a snap freeze, because the elephant’s stomach functions as a holding area—a mastodon with preserved stomach contents was found in mid-western USA, where the ground was not frozen. See also The extinction of the woolly mammoth: was it a quick freeze?

There is also evidence that woolly mammoths did not completely go extinct. There have been elephants found in Nepal that have all of the same characteristics, though the hair is not as thick.

I hope that helps.

#8 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:31 PM

View Post

Hey b00tleg, if you are still there... If indeed woolly mammoths perished in the flood but elephants didn't (though the evidence shows that is not the case) there is a simple biblical explanation. The elephant kind would include several species; both woolly mammoths and elephants. So when Noah took 2 representatives of the elephant kind on the ark, this could leave woolly mammoths, mastodons, etc. behind to perish in the flood while the elephants were preserved.

#9 AFJ

AFJ

AFJ

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1625 posts
  • Interests:Bible, molecular biology, chemistry, mineralogy, geology, eschatology, history, family
  • Christian
  • Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:12 AM

View Post

Perhaps you are not aware that most fossils are marine in nature, and obviously those animals would not have been on the ark.

It is speculated by creation scientists that all the "kinds" were on the ark. This does not mean every variation within the kinds was on the ark. A mammoth was a variation in the elephant family obviously.

It is also specualted that the genome, being closer to the time of creation, had less mutation, and therefore more natural variation ability.

#10 Guest_cms13ca_*

Guest_cms13ca_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:01 PM

My question would be wree there any aquatic animals on the ark, such as dolphin, whales and fish? Did the ark have an aquarium for these creatures?

If not, how did these animals survive the flood without evolution?

#11 scott

scott

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1749 posts
  • Christian
  • mississippi

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

My question would be wree there any aquatic animals on the ark, such as dolphin, whales and fish? Did the ark have an aquarium for these creatures?

View Post

Whales, Dolphins, and Fish would've been perfectly fine without evolution or the ark. The only thing they had to worry about was being trapped on dry land when the waters receeded.

Of course you may be wondering about surviving Salt Water if the fish were fresh water. The fish would simply adapt to the conditions, but ofcourse we don't know what the oceans conditions were back then.

#12 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:25 PM

View Post

You will get a lot of discussion along these lines in this thread: http://www.evolution...=3703&hl=marine

#13 Guest_cms13ca_*

Guest_cms13ca_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:24 PM

If aquatic animals did survive the flood, then the Bible is wrong about God wiping every living creature that was not on the ark.

#14 b00tleg

b00tleg

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • Meridian, Idaho

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:20 AM

Perhaps you are not aware that most fossils are marine in nature, and obviously those animals would not have been on the ark. 

It is speculated by creation scientists that all the "kinds" were on the ark.  This does not mean every variation within the kinds was on the ark.  A mammoth was a variation in the elephant family obviously.

It is also specualted that the genome, being closer to the time of creation, had less mutation, and therefore more natural variation ability.

View Post

If at least one variation of one kind of dinosaur made it on to the ark, what animal alive today is a dinosaur?

#15 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:43 AM

If aquatic animals did survive the flood, then the Bible is wrong about God wiping every living creature that was not on the ark.

View Post

Can you show me scripturally where it says God wiped every living creature off the Earth save those on the ark?
And if you cannot, are you willing to say you were wrong about the Bible being wrong?

#16 Guest_cms13ca_*

Guest_cms13ca_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:17 AM

Can you show me scripturally where it says God wiped every living creature off the Earth save those on the ark?
And if you cannot, are you willing to say you were wrong about the Bible being wrong?

View Post

I am referring to where it states that every living thing that moved perished. However, I, now, notice that it does not mention creatures living in the water just mankind, cattle, "beasts", fowl and creatures that "creep" or "swarm".

#17 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:27 AM

I am referring to where it states that every living thing that moved perished. However, I, now, notice that it does not mention creatures living in the water just mankind, cattle, "beasts", fowl and creatures that "creep" or "swarm".

View Post

No problem... These misunderstanding are usually due to not only a less than thorough understanding of the scripture, but even a simple misunderstanding of the scripture. And, a cursory reading of said scripture will usually curtail the false claims.

Also, I wasn’t ripping on you here cms, what I was doing was making you actually look up the scripture to see where you err. In this way, instead of me providing the actual scripture for you, and making it easy; you looked it up yourself and gained a better understanding. This is a teaching tool that I have found to have better cognitive results for the questioner.

Also, even those who spend quite a lot of time in the Bible can still fall prey to our own misunderstandings of the scripture. So this technique works just as well on myself when need be.

#18 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:21 PM

If at least one variation of one kind of dinosaur made it on to the ark, what animal alive today is a dinosaur?

View Post

"Just as each species is unique," write Beverly and Stephen Stearns, "so is each extinction... the causes for each are varied—some subtle and complex, others obvious and simple"Watching, from the Edge of Extinction. Yale University Press. pp. x. ISBN 0300084692.

As evidenced by the ice-age, the flood drastically changed the climate so I am sure that many dinosaurs became extinct due to those changes.There are many, many examples of "dragons" living beside humans in recent history. Most of them were a nuisance. Most animals that are considered a nuisance to humans are close to being wiped out, even with endangered species protection in place.

Lazarus taxa, where a species presumed extinct abruptly "re-appears" (typically in the fossil record) after a period of apparent absence. Animals that are Lazarus taxon are often cited by Cryptozoologists as former Cryptids. (Dragons?)

Native people who have no known motivation for pointing to the dinosaur picture when describing living animals have done just that. Of course if a dinosaur lived it would do so in a remote area.

#19 twinc

twinc

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Christian
  • BIRKENHEAD,UK

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:03 AM

View Post

you actually nearly answer your own question but firstly to keep it in context and on line we must realise that it was God who created the different kinds from which all else sprung brought these different kinds to Noah and the Ark and it was not Noah who sorted them out and rounded them up - lest we might not understand the kinds are referred to ten times - there were off springs from these kinds then even as there are now - baby elephants were probably on the ARK as also baby dinosaurs/dragons/lizards from which they sprung and grew etc - there were giants in those days not just humans but animals,fish,birds,dragon flies that flew etc for the climate etc was equitable as also was the food and water etc all conducive to survival and multiplication and growth etc - btw we may care to note that if we add a D to ARK it becomes Dark and cold on the Ark no flood lighting or Arc lamps - so the animals hibernated and did not necessitate a lot of control or feeding etc - no problem for Noah and/or God - twinc

#20 Glenn Williams

Glenn Williams

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Christian
  • Ashburn, Va.

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:15 AM

"what is the biblical explanation for all the fossils of animals in forms that are no longer alive today"

Not sure if there really is a biblical explanation for why certain animals may have went extinct or got hunted to extinction. Perhaps the closest explanation that may be found would be from Hos 4:3

"Therefore the land will mourn; And everyone who dwells there will waste away With the beasts of the field And the birds of the air; Even the fish of the sea will be taken away."

Interesting contrast though on how the Bible describes things as winding down and deteriorating while evolution implies the opposite.

I think this guy shot the last dinosaur:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users