Truth

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Edinburgh, UK

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:45 AM

OK, I've looked a several threads and it seems that quite a lot of people don't understand certain aspects of evolution or have questions about how it is supposed to work.

So if there is something you dont understand, or a question you would like answered just ask.

#2 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:53 AM

OK, I've looked a several threads and it seems that quite a lot of people don't understand certain aspects of evolution or have questions about how it is supposed to work.

So if there is something you dont understand, or a question you would like answered just ask.

View Post

Sure, okay: From what did evolution spring? In other words, “What started evolution?” Only empirical fact based information please…

#3 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:50 AM

I have been accused of not understanding evolution so I read a few books, one of which was "10 Myths of Evolution". It turns out that I did understand it... but it makes no sense. :blink:

#4 Truth

Truth

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Edinburgh, UK

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:31 AM

Sure, okay: From what did evolution spring? In other words, “What started evolution?”  Only empirical fact based information please…

View Post

Evolution is the process by which organisms adapt to their environments by mutation and selection. So:

Q What started evolution?

A The first living organism.

#5 Truth

Truth

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Edinburgh, UK

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:39 AM

I have been accused of not understanding evolution so I read a few books, one of which was "10 Myths of Evolution". It turns out that I did understand it... but it makes no sense. :blink:

View Post

Hmmm.... You say you understand evolution, but then say it makes no sense. You are perhaps a little confused.

#6 Cassiterides

Cassiterides

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Christian
  • uk

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:10 AM

View Post

Why has evolution never been directly observed?

#7 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:12 AM

Okay, I actually thought of a question.

I know of someone who is very angry at parents who do not teach evolution in homeschool. Her reasoning is that many advances in science have arisen and are continuing to occur due to a study of evolution. Keeping in mind that Creationists actually had theories involving speciation and natural selection before evolutionary (molecules to man) thinking arose, could you share something to support her claim?

#8 Cassiterides

Cassiterides

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Christian
  • uk

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:13 AM

I see you have Newton in your signiture. You might want to take him out, since he was a Young Earth Creationist.

#9 JoshuaJacob

JoshuaJacob

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Christian
  • Ponchatoula, Louisiana

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:15 AM

I don't think You understand the questions being asked.

#10 Cassiterides

Cassiterides

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Christian
  • uk

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:20 AM

Evolution is the process by which organisms adapt to their environments by mutation and selection. So:

View Post

So the first living organism didn't evolve but was created?

That makes you a Theistic Evolutionist, but your profile says your an atheist. Perhaps it is you who is confused.

#11 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:34 AM

View Post

If evolution is the process by which organisms adapt to their environments by mutation and selection, then what mutated into that first living organism?

Were's the "TRUTH"?

#12 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:38 AM

Hmmm.... You say you understand evolution, but then say it makes no sense.  You are perhaps a little confused.

View Post

Based upon her response, she said she understood that the claims of evolution are, but those claims make no sense!

If I’m incorrect on this assumption MamaElephant, let me know…

#13 Mankind

Mankind

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Christian
  • Southeast

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:16 AM

What was the creature that mankind evolved from?

#14 The Debatinator

The Debatinator

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Christian
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:25 AM

Let's not ask sarcastic/loaded questions. We'll become no better than the Occam's Razor crowd.

My question is an honest one because it deals with survival, confusion that comes with descent of features, co-evolution, organism's response to ecosystems, and pretty much all progress we've supposedly seen down the line.

How did instinct evolve?

We look at bees and their highly complex lifestyle, we see the honey guide and honey badger, we see a few of the things as what's on Fred's slideshow, and we realize that no matter what physical adaptations arise, instinct must follow for its proper usage.

If we are to believe that all life originated from a single-celled organism, we have to comply that there are no givens beyond the abilities and responses available to it. That is, if the feature comes and there is no ingrained knowledge of its usage it can become a burden, and sometimes life threatening. Even the simple things. For instance, the line of creatures after it had to know to breathe once they attained a breathing apparatus. If they had limbs, their mind had to connect with the purpose and usage of them as soon as they were there. If you had legs, but no idea what walking is (which is actually highly likely early on in a species' leg development) you would be basically screwed. Even going back to fins, flagella, or gastropods, muscle and motor knowledge and instinct is essential to survival.

More importantly, if these gained instincts cannot be bred, how can evolution stand? What is the likelihood that the right instinct will correspond to the right body parts? How does the body know what to shut off and what to keep going during sleep? How do we know what to do when we're hungry or when our s@x drive goes nuts? How did the brain know to give us indicators of those needs? The list goes on and on, and I'm sorry if I'm overloading, but instinct is the crux of my whole point.

#15 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:35 AM

Let's not ask sarcastic/loaded questions. We'll become no better than the Occam's Razor crowd. 

View Post

I did not ask a “loaded question”; I asked a question that is at the very heart of the matter. And it is a direct response to the type of assertion and attitude of said assertion posited in this op! In fact, based upon the presupposition of the OP invitation, no one has yet asked a “loaded” question.

#16 The Debatinator

The Debatinator

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Christian
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:44 AM

I didn't say that you specifically asked a loaded question. Sorry for the confusion.

#17 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:01 AM

I didn't say that you specifically asked a loaded question. Sorry for the confusion.

View Post

No problem... Also, if you look at it objectively, the only loaded statements here, are in the OP itself.

#18 Guest_Tommy_*

Guest_Tommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:05 AM

Question: what might prevent minor changes in diverging gene pools accumulating into noticeable differences between populations?

#19 Kaliko

Kaliko

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Canada

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:43 AM

Pretty ambitous topic. I hope you're dedicated, truth (the user that is) and have a lot of time on your hands. There are a lot of questions. Word of advice: You probably should have limited yourself to one topic that evolution covers, due to evolution being such a wide discipline.

Oh, and about Newton being a Creationist: You're right Cassiterides, he was. He also believed in Alchemy, and died almost 80 years before the first scientific writings proposing evolution by natural means by Jean-Baptiste Lamarck were published in 1800, and 130+ years before Darwin's Origin of Species in 1859. Also, Newton is not really remembered for his writings concerning Christianity, but for his scientific achievements. Just a small note.

#20 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:46 AM

I have another. Coming from an atheistic viewpoint everything in the world is a product of evolution... so if religion is a bad thing then why does it exist at all? How has it contributed to natural selection and if it has, then why would someone try to get rid of it?

Based upon her response, she said she understood that the claims of evolution are, but those claims make no sense!

If I’m incorrect on this assumption MamaElephant, let me know…

View Post

That is correct. Thank you.

A lot of people assume that because I am a Christian and a Jehovah's Witness that I don't question what I have been told or look into other viewpoints. They are seriously mistaken. On the subject of origins, for one example... Jehovah's Witnesses have a couple of publications that are very well done for what they are, but they remain neutral on the age of the earth which I felt was essential for the explanations that I was looking for, so I started asking around. :D

In my reply to the OP I assumed that like the "10 myths of evolution" this thread will not add anything to my understanding of evolution but rather repeat the same arguments that don't really hold any weight, while implying that I am just ignorant on the topic. I suppose that is presumptuous of me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users