Greasy Joe

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • Iowa

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:52 PM

Well I joined a week or so ago and I've mostly been perusing during my extremely boring astronomy lectures or between college apps. I think evolution is a fact, but I'm not sure whether a God is behind it all pulling the strings. Could be. As far as I'm concerned, a debate in the classical sense is impossible, and we can only learn from and understand each other. I like hearing from other viewpoints.

Also, I'd like to know a little more about rationalizing one god over another or saying one religion is right or not, because I come from both Jewish & Christian backgrounds. Should be interesting.

#2 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:25 PM

Well I joined a week or so ago and I've mostly been perusing during my extremely boring astronomy lectures or between college apps.  I think evolution is a fact, but I'm not sure whether a God is behind it all pulling the strings.  Could be.  As far as I'm concerned, a debate in the classical sense is impossible, and we can only learn from and understand each other.  I like hearing from other viewpoints.

Also, I'd like to know a little more about rationalizing one god over another or saying one religion is right or not, because I come from both Jewish & Christian backgrounds.  Should be interesting.

View Post

Welcome.

What you believe is your choice. If you want to use the usual: Why your God, Why one God "atheist question". You are wasting our time. What possibly could anyone say to you to convince you? Nothing. Because you chose evolution, means you are an atheist, not agnostic. And you are a humanist, naturalist, etc... as well. Why? All these things are the foundations that make evolution work. God does not make evolution work or God would not have had to have God removed so that it could be taught in our schools. So the idea of merger when you claim to be agnostic, does not work.

#3 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:02 AM

Also, I'd like to know a little more about rationalizing one god over another or saying one religion is right or not, because I come from both Jewish & Christian backgrounds. 

View Post

An in-depth look at the evidence. Give it a try.

My faith grew considerably after studying the history of the Bible itself. People tried to burn it, get rid of it, suppress the translation and yet it not only remains but becomes more widely available. People still seem to attack the Bible more often than other religious texts. It is still the number 1 best-seller. Why? On all counts... because it is the Word of God.

#4 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:49 AM

Well I joined a week or so ago and I've mostly been perusing during my extremely boring astronomy lectures or between college apps.  I think evolution is a fact, but I'm not sure whether a God is behind it all pulling the strings.  Could be.  As far as I'm concerned, a debate in the classical sense is impossible, and we can only learn from and understand each other.  I like hearing from other viewpoints.

Also, I'd like to know a little more about rationalizing one god over another or saying one religion is right or not, because I come from both Jewish & Christian backgrounds.  Should be interesting.

View Post

Hello, and welcome Joe. And I know what you mean about dry and “extremely boring” lectures. I’d often wondered how many of my professors realized just how boring they (or their material?) were… Or, were they purposefully torturing their students, simply because they could. This is why I attempt to keep my classes lively (by many proven techniques).

Anyway, your proposition of evolution as a “fact”, is, in fact, a faith statement. Much the same as my proposition of God as a fact is a faith statement to you. And, classical debate on the subject is far from impossible because it has been debated classically for some time now. If you’d like, I can link you to some of the “classic” debates on the subjects.

And, if you’d like to “discuss” theological points on the rationality of religious deities, you can always open a thread on the subject. But, as a point of clarification, the God of Judaism and Christianity are the selfsame.

#5 Kaliko

Kaliko

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Canada

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:51 PM

Hello, and welcome Joe. And I know what you mean about dry and “extremely boring” lectures. I’d often wondered how many of my professors realized just how boring they (or their material?) were… Or, were they purposefully torturing their students, simply because they could. This is why I attempt to keep my classes lively (by many proven techniques). 

View Post

Out of curiosity, what is it that you teach Ron? I was an instructor myself for a time...

#6 Mankind

Mankind

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Christian
  • Southeast

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:22 PM

Welcome to the forum. Evolution is part fact and part philosophy. Your job, if you decide to accept it, is to seperate the two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users