Photo

What Happened To The Tree Of Good & Evil?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Summers

Mike Summers

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1806 posts
  • Interests:Information theory, electronics, videography, writing, human psychology, psychotherapy
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Detroit Michigan area

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:34 AM

Brothers,

I was curious ast to what my brothers think happened to the tree of G & E?

And how did Adam & Eve take to themselves Good and Evil? ;)

All the Best
Mike

#2 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:04 AM

Tree of good and evil was a choice for Adam and Eve. The fruit was a representation of the knowledge they could receive. This is why Satan was represented in that tree by a snake.

Because we are born into sin, when we go beyond the age of innocence. The knowledge of good and evil things are given to us.

Now we have the tree of life in which we become grafted into when we receive Christ.

We are the representation of the fruit of the tree of good and evil.

#3 Cassiterides

Cassiterides

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Christian
  • uk

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:57 PM

Brothers,

I presume it was destroyed in the flood, just like the entire Garden of Eden.

#4 Guest_cms13ca_*

Guest_cms13ca_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

Is it referred to as the tree of knowledge or the tree of good and evil?

#5 Javabean

Javabean

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Harrisburg

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:02 PM

Is it referred to as the tree of knowledge or the tree of good and evil?

View Post

As far as I was aware it is known as the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. But ultimately I think it would be best to go with the original Hebrew...but I don't know what that is lol.

#6 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

Administrator / Forum Owner

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2480 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy going to Broncos games, my son's HS basketball & baseball games, and my daughter's piano & dance recitals. I enjoy playing basketball (when able). I occasionally play keyboards for my church's praise team. I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:17 AM

Brothers,

All the Best
Mike

View Post

Hello Mike,

I believe scripture indicates it was cut down by evil men and thrown into hell along with them. There is also a hint in scriptures that this event triggered Noah's flood. There is a pinned topic on this in the 'Hidden Treasures of the Bible' forum:

http://www.evolution...p?showtopic=204

Fred

#7 Teejay

Teejay

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Christian
  • Texas

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:41 AM

[quote] name='Mike Summers' timestamp='1285770880' post='62999']
Brothers,

All the Best
Mike
[/quote]

Mike,

I would like to present the following to you on this. I used this to witness to my Catholic relatives--one of whom is Jesuit educated and a tough nut to crack. I got this basically from "The Plot," an Overview of the Bible written by Bob Enyart.

The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil and the Law

The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil is a ministry of death (Gen. 2:17). Partaking of it yields death. The Tree is not the only biblical entry rightly described as the ministry of death, however. Paul calls the Ten Commandments “the ministry of death.”

…the ministry of death [was] written and engraved on stones [Ten Commandments]. 2 Cor. 3:7

The Ten Commandments are the only commands in the entire Bible that are written and engraved on stone. Now compare the Tree and the law. “In the day that you partake of it, you shall die,” God warned of the Tree (Gen. 2:17). He could have warned of the law with the same words, “In the day that you partake of the law, you will surely die.” The passages below confirm this concept:

…apart from the law sin was dead. I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. Rom. 7:8-9

And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death. For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me. Rom. 7:10-11

…sins which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to sin, producing death in me through [the law], so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful. Rom. 7:13

After reading the nest passage, no Christian can ever again appeal to the law for help in achieving righteousness. By the same token, believers unschooled in the danger of the law are shocked by the following verse:

The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law.
1 Cor. 15:56

That the very existence of this verse is a surprise, and that its meaning is inexplicable to so many believers is an indictment of the teachings of today’s Christian church.

The Law Gives Passion to Our Evil Desires

Because of our flesh, the law gave passion to our evil desires:

For when we were in the flesh, the passions of sins which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. But now we have been delivered from the law… Rom. 7:5-6

The forbidden law becomes the forbidden fruit, the prize men lie, die, and kill for. A book on the shelf goes unnoticed by a child until the parent says, “Do not touch that book. Do not even look at it.” (Perhaps we should try this with the Bible.) Prohibition creates lust (Mark 7:36; Rom. 7:5). When I was a child, the Catholic Church had a “don’t go see list” for recently released films. It made $millions for the movie industry.

Because we still wrestle with the flesh, the law still has the same effect, arousing sinful passions. Believers have not been immunized from the deleterious effects of the law, but they have been delivered from the law.

A man who recovers from food poisoning cannot now safely eat spoiled meat, for he has not become immune to the toxin. So too Christians are not to partake of the law or have fellowship with the deadly ministry of the law. Christians are simply “delivered from the law” and as such should not return to that which God has delivered them from.

The Tree Represents the Law

When Adam ate of the Tree (the offense) death came to all men. Then God gave men the law, so that which began with the Tree, the offense, “might abound” (Rom. 5:20). The law picked up where the Tree left off. In other words, you want Tree and law, I’ll give you law!

The Tree and the law serve the same purpose. The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil represents the law. The law furthered the function of the tree. The law resumed the ministry of the Tree, namely, the ministry of death. Both the Tree and the law present an alternative to God. Men must choose between life and death, between the Tree of Life (Jesus) and the Tree of Death, between God and the law.

“The first man Adam” (1 Cor. 15:45) was not to partake of the Tree; members of the Christ, “the last Adam” (1 Cor. 15:45), are not to partake of the law [1 Cor. 15:56; Gal 3:2-3, 24-25; 1 Tim. 1:9]. Both kill as surely as God said they would.

…through one man’s offense [death] came to all men…. Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound.
Rom. 5:18, 20

The Tree is not the only entity that will give the “Knowledge of Good and Evil.”

…by the law is the knowledge of sin. Rom. 3:20

The knowledge of good and evil is a synonym for the law (Rom. 2:20; 3:20; 5:20; Deut. 1:39; Isa. 7:16, [8:4, 16-18]; 1 Cor. 13:8; Hos. 4:6 and Mal. 2:7). Further, the law is the “key of knowledge.” For lawyers pervert the law and thereby take away the key of knowledge. When the Pope makes a proclamation against the death penalty for murders, h*m*sexuals, adulterers, kidnappers, he is perverting the law and taking away the key of knowledge. Why should h*m*sexuals repent if they are told they are most wonderful? He also profanes God (Ezek. 13:19) “killing people who should not die and keeping people alive who should not live.” As Jesus said:

“Woe to you lawyers [popes]! For you have taken away the key of knowledge.” Luke 11:52

When God’s law is weakened or negated (no death penalty for example), we also weaken God’s greatest evangelical tool. And when people see no righteous justice on earth, it is extremely difficult for them believe in a righteous and just God. Also, the death penalty is at the heart of the gospel of Jesus. God demanded the death penalty of His Son to balance the scales of justice and pay for our sins.

The law teaches the knowledge of good and evil. The tree leads to death, and the law leads to death, never to the Promised Land. God indicated this after He gave the law, the knowledge of good and evil, to Moses and Israel. Those that were given “the knowledge of good and evil” died in the wilderness. An uncircumcised (Josh. 5:5) nation (symbolically, those not of the law) were to enter the Promised Land.

Surely not one of these men of this evil generation shall see that good land of which I swore to give to your fathers… Moreover your little ones and your children [to young to be held responsible under the law], who you say will be victims, who today have no knowledge of good and evil, they shall go
in there; to them I will give it, and they shall possess it.
Deut. 1:35, 39

The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, that is, the law, hurts God’s people. It does not help. Adam was God’s person, and the Tree hurt him. Israel was God’s people, and the law hurt her. The day the law was given to Moses, “about three thousand men of the people fell that day” (Ex. 32:28). In symbolic contrast, the day the Spirit of Christ was given to Peter at Pentecost, “that day about three thousand souls were added” (Acts 2:41). Hence, “the letter [law] kills, but the Spirit gives life” (2 Cor. 3:6).

In 1 Corinthians 3:6, Christians often misinterpret the phrase, “The letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.” When Paul writes this, he does not mean that the “details” are harmful, but the “intention” is beneficial. Under the Godpel of Circumcision, it is the very details of the law that Jesus supported (Mat. 5:18) and even denounced whomever would break “one of the least” details of the law (Mat. 5:19). The letter is the law and the Spirit is God. In the very next sentence, Paul writes, “But if the ministry of death written and engraved on stones was glorious… (1 Cor. 3:7-8). The Ten Commandments are written and engraved on stone by the hand of God.

Let’s sum up:
Tree is the ministry of death. Gen. 2:17
The Law is the ministry of death. 2 Cor. 3:7

The
Do not partake of the Tree. Gen. 3:17
Do not partake of the Law. Rom. 7:6; 10:4

In the day you partake of the Tree, you will die. Gen. 2:17
In the day you partake of the Law, you will die. Rom. 7:9

By the Tree is the knowledge of sin. Gen. 3:22
By the Law is the knowledge of sin. Rom. 3:20; 7:78

The Tree brought the offense. Rom. 5:17
The Law made the offense abound. Rom. 5:20

The Tree’s curse died on the cross. Rom. 5:18-19
The Law was nailed to the cross. Col. 2:13-14, 16

The Tree of Life is in the new heaven. (Rev. 22:14), but not the Tree of Knowledge. (Ezek. 31:15; [Rev. 22:14])
The Law of the Spirit (Rom. 8:2) is in the new heaven, but not the Law of death (Rom. 8:2; 7:6).

The Fate of the Tree

What happened to the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil? The Tree of Life ends up in heaven (Rev. 22:14). But what of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil? Consider Christ said, “Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire” (Mat. 7:19).

Most Bible scholars agree that Ezekiel 28:12-16 refers to Lucifer. God symbolizes the glory and subsequent fall of the king of Tyre (Ezek. 28:12) by describing Satan’s fall and his role in Eden. By this same literary device (an extended illustration) in Ezekiel 31 refers to the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. A study of Ezekiel reveals that the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil went down into hell. Good riddance!

In the day when it [Tree] went down to hell, I [God] caused morning. I covered the deep [flood] because of it. I restrained its rivers, and the great waters were held back. Ezek. 31:15

The Fate of the Law

Regardless of what happened to the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, what happened to the Law is clear. It was nailed to the cross by God. For Paul writes that God has:

…forgiven you all trespasses, having wiped out the handwriting of requirements [the law] that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross… Therefore, let no one judge you in food [meat on Friday] or drink, or regarding a festival [Ash Wednesday] or a new moon or Sabbaths… Col. 2:13-14, 16

Christ on the Tree

Jesus “Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree” (1 Pet. 2:24). Why did Christ hang on a tree?

If a man has committed a sin worthy of death, and he is put to death, and he is hung on a tree, his body shall not remain overnight on the tree, but you shall surely burn him that day, so that you do not defile the land which the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance; for he who is hanged is accursed of God. Deut. 21:22-23

If a man is hung on a tree he is cursed of God. Why? The curse came to Man through the offense at the Tree. One day, another Man would become a curse, on the tree for us. Christ would reverse the death that came through the offense of the tree. His own body, along with the law itself, would be nailed on the tree. He thereby paid the debt. Thus death would be conquered and life available to those who trust in the death of Christ on
the tree:

Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”)… Gal. 3:13

So Christ became a curse on the tree to end the curse that began on a tree.

The Serpent’s Lies

Not surprisingly, the arguments to convince believers today to keep the law are essentially identical to the arguments the serpent used to convince Eve to eat from the tree:

Serpent to Eve: Eat from the Tree”
Legalist to Believer: Keep the Law

God: Do not eat from the tree lest you die. Gen. 2:17
Serpent: You will not surely die. Gen. 3:4

God: The law is a “ministry of death” 2 Cor. 3:7
Legalist: You will not surely die.

Serpent: The tree will open your eyes and you will know good and evil. Gen. 3
Legalist: The law will open your eyes and you will know good and evil.

Serpent: Eat from the tree and you will be like God. Gen. 3:5
Legalist: Keep the law and you will be holy like God.

What Replaces the Law?

Answer: God! The relationship that God had with Adam and Even, before the offence at the Tree, is the same relationship He desires with us today—a love relationship. The ministry of the law is replaced by the more glorious ministry of the Spirit, or, God “in you, the hope of glory” (Col. 1:27). The ministry of the Spirit, also called the ministry of righteousness, is the ministry that “remains.”

But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, which glory was passing away, how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious? 2 Cor. 3:7-8

Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor. 3:17

For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory. 2 Cor. 3:9

For even what was made glorious had no glory in this respect, because of the glory that excels. For if what is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious. 2 Cor. 3:10-11

When believers look to the law for motivation or guidance or growth, they are overlooking God. God or the law, that is the choice, for no member of the Body of Christ gets to choose both. To the extent a Christian partakes of the law, to that extent he disregards the Lord.

The spiritually mature believer knows there is no real choice. For the ministry of the Spirit “remains,” and the ministry of the law does not. Further, when believers look to the law, which “had glory,” they are sidestepping God, the enduring “hope of glory.” Will the ministry of the Spirit ever pass away or fade in glory? No, for “the Lord is Spirit” (2 Cor. 3:17) and “the brightness of the Lord’s glory” Ezek. 10:4; see also Acts 26:13 and Heb. 1:3) shall never fade (Isaiah 60:19; Rev. 21:23; 22:5).

While Second Corinthians is perhaps the clearest text explaining that the law is replaced by the Spirit of the Lord, Paul teaches this also in Romans:

But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter [law]. Rom. 7:6

Paul taught in Romans also that the ministry of condemnation has now passed away for believers (Rom. 5:18; 8:1). The ministry of condemnation, an alias for the law, has been replaced with God Himself, or “the law of the Spirit.” Therefore there is no longer any condemnation for Christians:

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit [which is God]… Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. Rom. 8:1-2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users