• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:34 PM

This is from a paper that I read at www.doesgodexist.org.

"...Alan Doty showed me a slab of brachiopod remains on an outcrop near the top of the Canyon. All of the fossils were of the same creature. Some time later, Dr. John McDowell showed me a similar slab of brachiopods near the bottom of the canyon. These two slabs of brachiopods were relatively the same size, but the brachiopods were radically different and wear different names. They are as different from one another as a Chihuahua and a St. Bernard. .... Floods do not put one kind of animal in one layer and a different kind of animal with the same size, mass, and density in another. Floods make a huge twisted mess of everything. This is one of the many problems with flood geology."

Can anyone explain to me how these fossils were formed? Thank you.

#2 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:04 PM

View Post

Anyone can answer of any persuasion. I would just like some information. :) Anyone?

#3 menes777

menes777

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Wichita, KS

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:56 PM

The simple answer is that the lower level was the bottom of an ancient sea X number of years ago (in millions of years). Those earlier brachiopods died and were covered over by layers and layers until about the time of the second layer mentioned. Those Brachiopods died and were covered up with the appropriate number of layers. Then through uplift and erosion, we can see those fossils today.

The quick and dirty answer, the story of the grand canyon is very complex.

#4 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:56 PM

Thank you for attempting Menes. :)

#5 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:15 AM

Floods do not put one kind of animal in one layer and a different kind of animal with the same size, mass, and density in another. Floods make a huge twisted mess of everything. This is one of the many problems with flood geology."

Are there any Young Earthers with an explanation? I would love to hear it. :) Suggested reading even?

#6 Cassiterides

Cassiterides

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Christian
  • uk

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:39 PM

View Post

''doesgodexist'' sounds like an atheist website. Now why would a JW being going there?

#7 Bex

Bex

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, friends/family, animals, health topics, auto/biographies, movies (horror, comedy, drama, whatever, just as long as it's good), music, video games (mainly survival horror, or survival/adventure types), crossword puzzles, books on real life crime/serial killers/etc. Prophecy/miracles/supernatural/hauntings etc, net surfing/forums etc.<br /><br />One of my favourite forums for information on many topics:<br /><br />http://orbisvitae.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • New Zealand

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:05 PM

''doesgodexist'' sounds like an atheist website. Now why would a JW being going there?

View Post

I think the fair thing to do is click on the link and check before making any insinuations/accusations.

Far from atheistic, the site appears to be there to answer such questions via the Christian/creation belief.

#8 Cassiterides

Cassiterides

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Christian
  • uk

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:20 PM

I think the fair thing to do is click on the link and check before making any insinuations/accusations.

Far from atheistic, the site appears to be there to answer such questions via the Christian/creation belief.

View Post

The whole website attacks creationism (especially YEC).

''Creationists assume exclusive meanings to words that are frequently inconsistent''
''Creationists insist on making some Hebrew words specific when they are general.''
''The evidence is that the Creation happened more than 10,000 years ago.''

http://www.doesgodex...thQuestion.html

Looks like an Atheist website to me. There are a lot of websites which pretend to be Christian when their real motivation is just to attack creationism. It's basically a disuised form of Atheism.

#9 menes777

menes777

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Wichita, KS

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:03 PM

Doesn't look very atheistic to me... (emphasis added)

"The notion that given enough time, anything can happen is misguided. Many negative things happen with time. Many natural processes take place with time that would put a stop to evolutionary processes."

and

"The point is that as more and more new discoveries are made about processes that are not taking place today, it becomes increasingly obvious that the evolutionary assumptions that uniformitarianism has been the only process which has functioned on the earth are not supported. This has nothing directly to do with time. No matter how much time you have, if an astronomical catastrophe sterilizes the earth, evolution has to start all over and would not be possible in the time remaining since the catastrophe."

and finally

"In recent years it has become increasingly obvious that the ancient earth was not made up of these gases. Many oxides are found that formed during the period of time when life began in the earth. For that to happen there would have to be free oxygen in the atmosphere. There is massive evidence of carbon dioxide having been present in the early earth's atmosphere, and huge quantities of carbonates are found in all ancient rocks. It is obvious that the Miller/Urey experiment had no semblance of what the ancient earth was like, and time will not solve this problem. "

Looks like the author is pointing out flaws in his own camp. Not something Cass seems to appreciate but nothing close to atheistic.

#10 Bex

Bex

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, friends/family, animals, health topics, auto/biographies, movies (horror, comedy, drama, whatever, just as long as it's good), music, video games (mainly survival horror, or survival/adventure types), crossword puzzles, books on real life crime/serial killers/etc. Prophecy/miracles/supernatural/hauntings etc, net surfing/forums etc.<br /><br />One of my favourite forums for information on many topics:<br /><br />http://orbisvitae.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • New Zealand

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:06 PM

''Creationists assume exclusive meanings to words that are frequently inconsistent''
''Creationists insist on making some Hebrew words specific when they are general.''
''The evidence is that the Creation happened more than 10,000 years ago.''

http://www.doesgodex...thQuestion.html

Looks like an Atheist website to me. There are a lot of websites which pretend to be Christian when their real motivation is just to attack creationism. It's basically a disuised form of Atheism.

View Post

Well, more needs to be read to figure out their position, which is hard, since it looks like they're sitting on the fence somewhat. They evidentally do not believe everything the YEC believes, but they do not believe evolutionists either. You can read the exposure they give on that too.

I cannot say they're undercover atheists, but yes, certainly they have a problem with the YEC belief and the beliefs, some of which seem to contradict their position of apparently believing in God the creator and Christ.... I'm not sure what's going on there.

:)

#11 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:40 PM

View Post

Attacking Creationism (ie. Young Earth views) is not the same as attacking belief in creation. In fact, some say that some Young Earth views are questionable and therefore add to the general disbelief in creation.

I am squarely on the fence as to the age of the earth, but I do enjoy the YE literature due to the support of the world wide flood. I also quite enjoy cryptozoology, so I like the idea of dinosaurs and man living side by side.

If I read literature and websites that were only from JWs it would support the idea that I am a member of a cult... then I provide an example of a website with other views and you make that out to be negative too? Wow, you really seem to have it in for me for some reason.

I only read this one article, as it was recommended by a homeschooling friend. I have not looked much at the rest of the site.

#12 Geode

Geode

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Mormon
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:41 AM

Attacking Creationism (ie. Young Earth views) is not the same as attacking belief in creation. In fact, some say that some Young Earth views are questionable and therefore add to the general disbelief in creation.

I am squarely on the fence as to the age of the earth, but I do enjoy the YE literature due to the support of the world wide flood. I also quite enjoy cryptozoology, so I like the idea of dinosaurs and man living side by side.

If I read literature and websites that were only from JWs it would support the idea that I am a member of a cult... then I provide an example of a website with other views and you make that out to be negative too? Wow, you really seem to have it in for me for some reason.

I only read this one article, as it was recommended by a homeschooling friend. I have not looked much at the rest of the site.

View Post

Join the club. The poster in question at times appears to perfer to raise questions about personal religious beliefs than actually post something relevent to the subject at hand. It was the same with me a day ago.

A disagreement with YEC beliefs is not in itself evidence of atheism. The site in question obviously does not come from an atheisitic point of view.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users