• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:01 AM

I feel like I am hogging up the board... I tried to get rid of it to no avail. Oh nevermind, apparently it goes away after a few minutes. :P

#2 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:44 PM

That's weird. I tried to fix the space by deleted it and re-entering it and it did not work.

Added: Okay, I see. I had to put 6 blank line above your sig to make it scroll down far enough to be at the bottom. Case you are wondering, I just hit enter 6 times to leave the space at the top to push the text to the bottom. If you look at you sig in your control panel you can see what I did.

Evidently there is a set space (set size) for your sig. Picture a certain size square with 10 lines of space. If you only use 5 lines of text, you are going to have 5 lines of blank space below your text. But, if you add 5 lines of blank above the text, it pushes that text to the bottom.

#3 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:48 PM

That's weird. I tried to fix the space by deleted it and re-entering it and it did not work.

Added: Okay, I see. I had to put 6 blank line above your sig to make it scroll down far enough to be at the bottom. Case you are wondering, I just hit enter 6 times to leave the space at the top to push the text to the bottom. If you look at you sig in your control panel you can see what I did.

Evidently there is a set space (set size) for your sig. Picture a certain size square with 10 lines of space. If you only use 5 lines of text, you are going to have 5 lines of blank space below your text. But, if you add 5 lines of blank above the text, it pushes that text to the bottom.

View Post

Okay. Thanks so much for fixing it and explaining it. :lol: I guess I am not hogging up space with my signature since everyone gets the same. It sure seems like it is. :P

#4 Javabean

Javabean

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Harrisburg

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:22 PM

Okay. Thanks so much for fixing it and explaining it. :) I guess I am not hogging up space with my signature since everyone gets the same. It sure seems like it is.  :D

View Post

Haha I love your sig...for obvious reasons. I find the use of "hairy" and "truth" in the same sentence to be hilarious!!!!! :)

#5 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:28 PM

Haha I love your sig...for obvious reasons.  I find the use of "hairy" and "truth" in the same sentence to be hilarious!!!!!  :)

View Post

Tee hee. It is my forum name in a board gaming forum. I thought it was great with a picture of a Yeti, due to my love of cryptozoology. :D

#6 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:37 PM

What's funny is that your first post shows it the original way, and your other posts show the fixed way. Then again that could be my browser doing that. The cache files (a type of memory for your browser) sometimes remembers things even though they were changed. Clearing the cache fixes this because it forces the browser to look at it from scratch with no old memory.

#7 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:43 PM

What's funny is that your first post shows it the original way, and your other posts show the fixed way. Then again that could be my browser doing that. The cache files (a type of memory for your browser) sometimes remembers things even though they were changed. Clearing the cache fixes this because it forces the browser to look at it from scratch with no old memory.

View Post

Yeah, I see it that way too. :) Thanks again for the fix.

Speaking of cache files, no matter how many times I delete my history via my internet controls, my computer keeps every web page I have visited over the last few months. Not only that, but the kids can sometimes play their games online without being connected because of the memory holding that. I am sure it is slowing my comp down, but I can't figure out why it is keeping all of this.

#8 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:33 AM

Yeah, I see it that way too.  :blink: Thanks again for the fix.

Speaking of cache files, no matter how many times I delete my history via my internet controls, my computer keeps every web page I have visited over the last few months. Not only that, but the kids can sometimes play their games online without being connected because of the memory holding that. I am sure it is slowing my comp down, but I can't figure out why it is keeping all of this.

View Post

You have what's called internet cache, and system cache. System cache stores system and program information and acts as permanent memory (to a point). As well as surfing history in some cases.

Intenet cache holds webpages, cookies, media files, pics, and audio etc... from pages you visit There are utilities you can download to select what you want to clean.

Here is one here: http://majorgeeks.co...ache_d4122.html

It's free.

Also, some computers come with wifi (internet without the cable) built in. So even when you disconnect, you often can find an open (unsecured) wifi connection and actually use someone Else's connection to surf the net. The computer will do this automatically if wifi happens to be enabled. This maybe how your kids are playing games online when internet is off.

There are 2 types of memory.

1) Ram memory.
2) Virtual memory.

Ram memory is temporary quick access memory. When your computer loads, it's loading into Ram memory. Ram memory contains files you use often. Every time you turn off your PC, the ram memory clears itself.

Virtual memory uses your hard drive like ram memory (in replacement of ram memory). Except this is about 10 time slower than ram memory. So the only things kept in here are usually files that are not used continually. But, when ram memory gets full, the PC will start putting files in virtual memory and this starts slowing up your PC.

To keep your PC from using virtual memory (which is slower), you have to make sure you have enough RAM memory installed.

Windows XP runs good on 1 gig of ram. But even better on 1.5 or 2 gigs.
Vista is a memory hog. 2 gigs or more is needed. I have 4 gigs in mine.
Windows 7 is the same way as vista. But I hear 4 gigs is best.

Also a lot of Newer PCs have video chips on the main computer board. This can slow up the PC because video takes up the system ram and uses some of it's bandwidth (how much information can travel from point A to point B). But, if it's in a high performance board, where it is built for speed. There is usually not that problem. Video on the main broad also requires the CPU to process some of the video which slows it down for other processes.

To solve the problem you have to buy a video card. A low end descent one is going to cost 50 bucks or more. A mid range runs 100 - 150 bucks. And top end ones run 300+. I usually buy the mid range one because you don't have to upgrade anytime soon. A high end one you can use until your PC falls apart. Because they are so fast it will take a while before any game comes out that it won't play.

If you have a laptop, all you can do is put more ram in if it does not have enough.

But first try the cleaning program.

#9 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:55 AM

Thank you Thank you Thank you! I have been trying to figure this out for so long. I have been having virtual memory warnings and they keep me from creating my products in a timely manner. I have been losing business and have just about given up! Now let's see if it works.

#10 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:51 PM

If you give me the specs of you computer, I could help you out more.

1) Destop or laptop.
2) What windows operating system.
3) How much ram.
4) How many gigs are on your hard drive. And how much free space you have left.

Sometimes people don't realize they are filling up their hard drive. When your hard drive starts to get down to 1 gig of space left. All kinds of problems can pop up including virtual memory errors. Why? When the free space gets that low, the different computer programs start competing for the same space on the hard drive and this causes errors. And it can eventually make your computer crash. That is where it quits working because of all the conflicts to use the same space, and the errors it causes.

So go into My Computer. Right click on drive C. Click on properties and another window with graphs and numbers should come up. It will have free space, and used space. If you can list what it says there we can go from there. You see that info eliminates one of the possible problems. Because if you are running out of space, it just means you need to make space by either getting rid of (uninstalling or deleting) things you don't need or use. Or taking things that are important, but you don't use often, and burning them to a dvd for back up and then removing them to make more space.

Not looking into that will have us running down ghost problems with no real fix. Because running out of drive space can mimic all kinds of other problems. And if not fixed can crash your PC (make it not work anymore).

#11 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:39 PM

I have a tiny hard drive that runs the operating system (18.6 GB with 14.0 GB free) and a larger secondary hard drive (93.2 GB free).
Desktop Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.60 GHz 2.59 GHz 256 Mb of RAM
Microsoft XP Professional Version 2002

I have done a system restore recently, and come to think of it, I did a thing to clear the system cache. I also have deleted and defragged like crazy with no improvement.

#12 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:54 PM

I have a tiny hard drive that runs the operating system (18.6 GB with 14.0 GB free) and a larger secondary hard drive (93.2 GB free).
Desktop Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.60 GHz 2.59 GHz 256 Mb of RAM
Microsoft XP Professional Version 2002

I have done a system restore recently, and come to think of it, I did a thing to clear the system cache. I also have deleted and defragged like crazy with no improvement.

View Post

Here is your problem. Microsoft messed up when they first came out with XP. They told everyone that it would work just fine with 256 megs of ram. That's not true unless you never install a program that loads with XP. Most virus programs have to load with any computer.

So what's going on is your 256 megs is completely full upon load up. After that anything you load goes into virtual memory (10 times slower) instead of ram memory (10 times faster). So your whole computer is slowed up because of this problem.

The specs for you CPU are here: http://ark.intel.com...aspx?spec=sl6wh

Running a 800 MHZ FSB means you have DDR2 memory. To get 2 gigs in there you will have to buy "2" 1-gig sticks. It has to be DDR2 memory with 800 FSB (front side bus). Because they make memory that is slower that won't work And there is no reason to get memory that is faster unless it's on sale. Why? Your pc will only run 800 MHZ memory speed regardless. So if you put faster memory in there, it will run it at 800 speed also. But it will still work if the faster happens to be cheaper in price. But you can "never" go slower than 800 on the memory speed. If you do, your computer may not even turn on. So either 800 or faster, not slower.

Example: My PC is almost exactly like your with a pentium 4 in it. It also runs at 800 mhz speed. But because the 1066 (DDR2 faster memory) was on sale as cheaper price, I bought it. But it runs at 800 instead of 1066 because that is the only speed my pc can run at. The memory does not dictate the speed, your computer does. The speed on the memory just tells you the speeds it's able to run at.

So 800 FSB DDR2 memory unless the faster is on sale. If so then:
1066 FSB DDR2 memory will work also.

Here is an example: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820211063

You get "2" of these and put them in your PC. You totally leave out the current memory stick you have (the 256 which also maybe "2" 128 meg sticks) even if there is another slot available for it. Why? Because it's best to run only the same type memory sticks, it keeps your PC more stable and balanced. And faster.

So until you upgrade your memory, your PC will continue to have this problem. That is why the program did not work because you don't have enough Ram Memory to begin with. Because cleaning the virtual memory does not give you more ram memory. Ram memory has to be installed to increase it.

Actually, you can blame this problem on Microsoft for telling everyone that XP will work with 256 megs of ram. That's the reason why computer sellers put that little in there. When you put the new memory in, it will run faster than they day you bought it because it will be able to put what it needs into ram so it will run 10 times faster, and what needs to go into virtual memory. Instead of sticking things where there is room which is what your PC is doing now.

And you do have enough free space on your hard drive. So no need to worry about upgrading that unless you just want to.

Here is what you can expect:

SiFIgSQOY7g?fs

#13 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:38 AM

Hmmm... okay. I already installed RAM. It is actually 2.59 GHz and 256 Mb of RAM. Maybe my problem is the 256 Mb. I need to take that out. I am pretty sure that I have one stick that won't come out and I end up with 2.59 GHZ and 128 Mb when I take out what I can. I also had a time when the 2.59 GHz was not showing up... so I will double check that it is connected properly. The main time that I have virtual memory problems is when I am running Active Pixels... my free downloaded software... so that could be a problem too. :P

I saw something about a video card in a previous post. That has been my gut instinct of what I need because of how my screen seems to lock up or run slow when switching between things. So I will look at that again. I also got this computer from the office when we downsized so I am not sure how messed up it could be from previous users.

#14 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:08 PM

Hmmm... okay. I already installed RAM. It is actually 2.59 GHz and 256 Mb of RAM. Maybe my problem is the 256 Mb. I need to take that out. I am pretty sure that I have one stick that won't come out and I end up with 2.59 GHZ and 128 Mb when I take out what I can. I also had a time when the 2.59 GHz was not showing up... so I will double check that it is connected properly. The main time that I have virtual memory problems is when I am running Active Pixels... my free downloaded software... so that could be a problem too.  :P 

I saw something about a video card in a previous post. That has been my gut instinct of what I need because of how my screen seems to lock up or run slow when switching between things. So I will look at that again. I also got this computer from the office when we downsized so I am not sure how messed up it could be from previous users.

View Post

Your mixing it up. The 256 mb is the problem.

The 2.59 ghz is the speed of your CPU. Has nothing to do with the amount of memory.

If you increase the 256 mb to 2 gigs of memory. Your computer will become fast. And your problems will go away.

2.59 is CPU speed. Which is how fast your cpu can process.

Upgrading ram memory 256 mb to 2 gigs of mb (2000 mb) increases the size of memory. The reason it also increases speed is because now all your data ends up mainly in ram memory because there is enough room.

Ram memory is like a highway. When the highway gets full there is a traffic jam. That is what happens with 256 mb. Not all the data will fit so it gets jammed up.

Increasing ram memory is like adding lanes to that highway and increasing the speed limit because merging data does not slow down the flows of data traffic.

Virtual memory is totally different. It can hold the traffic, it just that all the traffic has to move at less than highway speeds.

Now when the ram memory gets jammed up with data traffic, some of the data (like cars) will take the off ramp to to slower roads (virtual memory) trying to find a faster way. Problem is, there is just as much jammed up traffic there also.

Upgrading the Ram memory would make traffic always flow fast so that no data would have to get off the off ramp into slower traffic (virtual memory).

So you see data stays in Ram memory (256 mb) until it's full. Then the data jumps on the off ramp to virtual memory. Jumping onto the off ramp is what you want to avoid. So pulling out the old memory (256 mb), and putting in 2 gigs (2000 mb) will open up a highway that never has traffic jams. Now how fast could you get to work if you never had to run into traffic jams? Works the same way with data getting to the CPU (work) to be processed.

To make it easier, just ignore the 2.59 ghz. That's CPU speed only, not memory size.

Side note: After you upgrade the memory, we can talk about CPU upgrade (2,59 ghz) "if" your pc is not fast enough after the memory upgrade. But I don't think you will have that problem.

Now what causing the errors and computer slow down? When the Ram memory (256 mb ) fills up. Stuff that should not go into virtual memory goes in because ram memory is now full.

Alternative upgrade: If you don't want to spend that much money on memory. You can buy just 1 gig stick instead of 2-1 gig sticks. The computer will still run pretty fast. And instead of the upgrade costing 50 bucks, it will be 25 bucks.

Your decision: Now because your PC is getting old. You have to determine whether you want to upgrade it or buy a new one. Because when a computer gets about 3-4 years old and is used all the time. Other parts start to go as well.

But if you like the ease and use of XP (a lot of people do), then upgrading is the way to go. Because with a new pc, you will have to relearn a whole new system

#15 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:12 AM

Okay, my RAM wasn't seated correctly! My system information now shows 2.00 GB of RAM. I took the old RAM out altogether and moved the new RAM over there. If you hadn't pressed the RAM issue I wouldn't have thought to check that again. I thought it was showing up. TY!

#16 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:15 AM

Cool, it happens to everyone. Some computer boards don't let the ram seat easily. And some allow them to pop out for no reason. That (the pop up) I just found out because a person that I fix his computers for, one of his computers likes to pop up his ram every so many months. It's frustrating. I'm thinking I'm going to use a fat rubber ban to hold the clips in place. The ram clips are cheaply made and open up by themselves. Though I have to keep the rubber band from touching the ram chips that would make them over heat.

#17 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:29 AM

Cool, it happens to everyone. Some computer boards don't let the ram seat easily. And some allow them to pop out for no reason. That (the pop up) I just found out because a person that I fix his computers for, one of his computers likes to pop up his ram every so many months. It's frustrating. I'm thinking I'm going to use a fat rubber ban to hold the clips in place. The ram clips are cheaply made and open up by themselves. Though I have to keep the rubber band from touching the ram chips that would make them over heat.

View Post

Yeah, it had definitely popped out. I know it was working when I first installed it. What is funny is that I didn't know I could take all of the old RAM out, so I took only one out the first time, :P then I put it back in the second time... now the old RAM is all gone. :)

#18 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

Removing the old ram is better because if you have what's called dual channel memory pipeline (which means there are two lanes of data being fed to the cpu instead of one. Which makes the computer faster), the memory has to be an exact match and put into the correct memory slots in order to work. If these things are not right, the computer defaults to single channel pipeline (only one lane of data going to the cpu). Which does not hurt you computer in any way. It's about 3% slower in single channel mode. Not that noticeable.

If you have 4 slots, and they are color coded. then it's easy. You put your 2 memory sticks into the same color slots. If you have only 3 slots, then it's more complicated.

In a 4 slot system it's slots 1 and 3, or 2 and 4 filled with identical memory sticks (same memory size, like two 1 gig sticks makes 2 gigs of ram) make the dual channel mode work. What this means is there is always one empty slot in between the 2 memory sticks.

Now if you have only "one" 2 gig stick then you don't have to worry about all that because there is no way to make the dual channel work with only one stick, and putting one into the other slot that is not like the other won't fix it.. But like I said, it won't hurt your computer if dual channel is not set up right. It only makes it about 3% slower.

#19 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:33 AM

Thank you for continuing to help! I wanted to post here to see if my new avatar is working. :rolleyes:

#20 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:16 PM

I was once again getting a virtual memory error (even though my RAM is showing up), so I did a search and found this: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=303

I followed the directions. Hopefully it helps some more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users