Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • uk

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:12 PM

I spend most my time reading old journals and papers on classics, and here is something interesting i found from the Asiatic Researches (Transactions of the society instituted in Bengal, for inquiring into the history and antiquities, the arts, sciences, and literature, of Asia) published in the late 18th century & early 19th century.

What we find is a cited quote from ancient Greek traveller Megasthenes (350-290BC) who went to India as part of an embassy organised by Seleucus I of Syria. Megasthenes wrote the Indica detailing his journey and discoveries, it comes down to us in fragments from later classical authors such as Strabo and later by Clement of Alexandria.

Asiatic researches, Vol. 10, p. 118-119:

Posted Image

From Megasthenes we learn that the Hindus dated the creation of man to 5042 years before Alexander the Great's invasion of India in 326 BC.

326BC + 5042 = 5368 BC

Traditionally Hindus equate the first appearance of man on earth to the date of the creation of everything. It therefore is apparent that the ancient Hindus once actually supported a belief in Young Earth Creationism. Over time however their dates became grossly exagerated, and now modern Hindus believe man and the universe is billions or even trillions of years old.

#2 Bex

Bex

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, friends/family, animals, health topics, auto/biographies, movies (horror, comedy, drama, whatever, just as long as it's good), music, video games (mainly survival horror, or survival/adventure types), crossword puzzles, books on real life crime/serial killers/etc. Prophecy/miracles/supernatural/hauntings etc, net surfing/forums etc.<br /><br />One of my favourite forums for information on many topics:<br /><br />http://orbisvitae.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • New Zealand

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:47 PM

Very interesting Cass. I have heard similar in other cultures. Going right back and you find some astounding connections that seem to tie up biblically. Thanks for sharing this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users