Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:58 AM

These questions are directed ONLY at those of the perspective of the questions. There are questions for those of the opposite perspective at: http://www.evolution...st=0#entry64917

The Questions:

Do you believe there IS “absolutely” a God?

What evidence, or evidences do you have to prove this conclusion?

#2 Mike Summers

Mike Summers

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts
  • Interests:Information theory, electronics, videography, writing, human psychology, psychotherapy
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Detroit Michigan area

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:15 PM

Yes for a God

Proof; the wisdoof th Bible, the existencof the universe, 6.7 bllion images of Him, my own existence.

#3 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:37 PM

Yes for a God

Proof; the wisdoof th Bible, the existencof the universe, 6.7 bllion images of Him, my own existence.

View Post

I understand what you are saying, but I would really want more specificity (or detail) for an answer like "the wisdom of the Bible". I guess I'm pretty big on the what's and why's of a persons answers. What line of logic, and evidences a person is using.

For example:

I know there is absolutely a God because I've personally witnessed several miracles (etc...). Or I know there is absolutely a God because of the change He made in so-and-so's life. And so-and-so was this kind of person before his personal relationship. Or, I know there is absolutely a God because of the historicity of Jesus Christ (etc...).

But, then go on to give more detail displaying your deeper understanding of why you believe what you believe.

Mike, I'm not knocking your answer. But, I really feel you can give a much greater, much deeper answer. And not just you, but anyone that posts answers to either of these parallel questions/topics. So, please don't take my post the wrong way.

#4 Bex

Bex

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, friends/family, animals, health topics, auto/biographies, movies (horror, comedy, drama, whatever, just as long as it's good), music, video games (mainly survival horror, or survival/adventure types), crossword puzzles, books on real life crime/serial killers/etc. Prophecy/miracles/supernatural/hauntings etc, net surfing/forums etc.<br /><br />One of my favourite forums for information on many topics:<br /><br />http://orbisvitae.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • New Zealand

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:09 PM

These questions are directed ONLY at those of the perspective of the questions. There are questions for those of the opposite perspective at: http://www.evolution...st=0#entry64917

The Questions:

Do you believe there IS “absolutely” a God?

What evidence, or evidences do you have to prove this conclusion?

View Post

Yes I believe there is absolutely a God. I have faith, not only in the word of God, the reality of the historical witnesses of Jesus Christ, the changes of life in those whom may have lead very sinful lives when they have turned to Christ with sincerity. The changes in my own person because of God. The undeniable and overwhelming witness to the miracle of life around us in every detail and design with how everything has been set up and orchestrated so wonderfully, despite the evil in the world. To look at a flower, or even the intricate design of a cat (their ears, their wiskers, their purr etc).

Being a witness to a miracles (dancing sun, incorrupt bodies of holy people - which I have personally witnessed up close when overseas etc). Plus the many near death experiences I have read about, of which it becomes increasingly difficult to deny the afterlife, given some of the evidences given.

I have had personal experience with involvement in the occult (to some degree) and the unfortunate effects from that, plus the power of God in overcoming it when nothing else was helping.

The power of prayer in my life. Though I may not get everything I ask for, I see the inexplicable workings of God in my life and others as I pray and do my best to obey Him. When I neglect prayer, I experience a decline in my behaviour, an increase in indifference and increased temptation to sin and having less faith/trust in God and an increase in worldly concerns.

#5 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:54 PM

I also think that the Bible is a great proof for the existence of God. It has not only survived more suppression than any other printed work, but has thrived in the face of that suppression. It is also amazing that so many people can read the Bible in their native language, with many more reading it in a fluent second language. Time and again, new discoveries in archaeology have proven the Bible to be historically true. I have also seen prophecies fulfilled in history and in the modern day.

I have had personal experience with the Holy Spirit keeping me alive, sane, and able to care for my daughter while I was very sick and abandoned by all including my husband. I then saw him turn into a very different person with that same help.

#6 AFJ

AFJ

AFJ

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1625 posts
  • Interests:Bible, molecular biology, chemistry, mineralogy, geology, eschatology, history, family
  • Christian
  • Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:51 AM

mamael wrote...
I also think that the Bible is a great proof for the existence of God. It has not only survived more suppression than any other printed work, but has thrived in the face of that suppression. It is also amazing that so many people can read the Bible in their native language, with many more reading it in a fluent second language. Time and again, new discoveries in archaeology have proven the Bible to be historically true. I have also seen prophecies fulfilled in history and in the modern day.

I have had personal experience with the Holy Spirit keeping me alive, sane, and able to care for my daughter while I was very sick and abandoned by all including my husband. I then saw him turn into a very different person with that same help.

I am glad you brought up the Holy Spirit Mama. The Spirit of Christ is what unites Christians, no matter what denomination we are. I also can attest to the moving and residing effect of the Holy Spirit, even since I was a child, and struggling with me as I left God through my teenage years. Once you know the the truth, He will never give up on you--because He is the Spirit of truth.

...the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.  I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.  Jn. 14:17,18  

This passage explains the difference between the world and Christians. Christians have the Spirit of God IN them. Verse 18 implies He is Spirit of Jesus himself "...I will not leave you orphans, I will come to you."

So creationists aren't stubbornly resisting apparent truth like many critcs say. They have a PRESENT operation of Christ in their own body--holding them up--and giving them strength--no matter what the world says to the contrary.

MIRACLES

I was a missionary to Africa. The so-called "superstitions" of the Africans are not without a base of spiritual reality. Just as Jesus cast out demons, there are many demon possessed people in Afirca. The reason is the deep cultural roots of animism, fettishism, and voodoo like practices.

One occurence happened to me and another national (African) pastor as we prayed for a man who had les ocee (laze ok)--the hiccups. They weren't like hiccups, but were quick erratic suckings of air.

The pastor explained that this was a common curse put upon people by their enemies. The man had gotten into a bad argument with another man, and heard that the man took a goat to the town guerriseur (healer fr.) The guerriseur had obviously sent this curse of demons to touch his body.

How did I know it was a demon. First the man was not a believer, so he had no protection. Second, when we prayed for him the hiccups stopped, but the infirmity went to his hips. He told the pastor he felt the infirmity "move." He then could not walk. Before he came, he could walk, but now he could not, but his hiccups had left.

We prayed again, but the thing would not leave. We continued to visits for weeks, but for some reason (that we would find out later) God allowed the thing to stay.

DIVINE TIMING AND THE GLORY OF GOD

Two months had passed and my associate missionary, who was an evangelist, wanted to do a crusade in the village. He had a Bible school, had graduated pastors and helped plant their churches. We brought many of the pastors to the village to help with the crusade.

A group of about 12 of us went to the man's house, and it just so happened his entire extended family was outside in his front yard, including his oldest son--very improtant culturally. We informed them that we wanted to pray for the man with the laying on of hands, so he could walk again. They said it would be fine.

The man was carried into a room,where we prayed (all the pastors) for about 10 to 15 minutes. Sometimes the man would be asked to get up. He would try but couldn't. Finally, after about 15 minutes, one of the pastors walked to the man, grabbed his hands and said in French, "dans le nom de Jesus, levez-vous et marchez!" In the Name of Jesus, get up and walk! He pulled the man up and he stood. Then everyone in the room started shouting and clapping their hands.

We took the man, who was walking weakly to his front porch, where his entire family saw him standing! They were very excited and started clapping. After that, the oldest son got up and made a small speech, thanking us for helping his dad. But the one thing he said, I will never forget. By the way, this was being translated to me into french, because the man was speaking in Baoule (bowlay).

The son said. "We know now that your God in more powerful than the spirits that attack us continually here. We serve these spirits, and we are afraid of them, But we know that the God you preach is more powerful."

No one can rationalize this, because it was done before many witnesses. Just like th ressurection of Jesus Christ was seen by many witnesses. You now have to make a choice to believe what Mama, myself, and others say. It's called corroboration--a legal means of finding truth. That is why we use testimony to find truth--it is based on eyewitness accounts.

#7 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:45 AM

I also think that the Bible is a great proof for the existence of God. It has not only survived more suppression than any other printed work, but has thrived in the face of that suppression.

View Post

I totally agree with this premise, but there is so much more (see historical Jesus et.al.). Having said that, said suppression (in this case by the Catholic Church) is why Tyndale was murdered (or martyred?) for trying to bring the Bible to the masses, in their language. His work was carried on to be a basis for the King James Bible. But, many-many martyrs were made in the suppression of the Biblical scriptures (historically, and today). And yet the Bible thrives.

It is also amazing that so many people can read the Bible in their native language, with many more reading it in a fluent second language. Time and again, new discoveries in archaeology have proven the Bible to be historically true. I have also seen prophecies fulfilled in history and in the modern day.

View Post

Good points.

#8 Mike Summers

Mike Summers

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts
  • Interests:Information theory, electronics, videography, writing, human psychology, psychotherapy
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Detroit Michigan area

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:12 AM

I understand what you are saying, but I would really want more specificity (or detail) for an answer like "the wisdom of the Bible". I guess I'm pretty big on the what's and why's  of a persons answers. What line of logic, and evidences a person is using.

For example:

I know there is absolutely a God because I've personally witnessed several miracles (etc...). Or I know there is absolutely a God because of the change He made in so-and-so's life. And so-and-so was this kind of person before his personal relationship. Or, I know there is absolutely a God because of the historicity of Jesus Christ (etc...).

But, then go on to give more detail displaying your deeper understanding of why you believe what you believe.

Mike, I'm not knocking your answer. But, I really feel you can give a much greater, much deeper answer. And not just you, but anyone that posts answers to either of these parallel questions/topics. So, please don't take my post the wrong way.

View Post

I believe you exist. I believe I exist. I believe others exist. By deductive reasoning I therefore conclude that since the previous statements are true and beings come into existence all the time, I have no problem with the idea that a being like us could exist. I have had experiences with evil (which would be anti God). My experience with love helps me conclude that love is a much better choice than evil. To me to be anti God would mean I would be anti us--which makes no sense.

Everyday I observe all the evil and conclude I would rather live in a community of friends. I think that if I am "friendly" to others and myself then I increase the probability that i can live in that community of friends. Thusly, I view life as a training program for something better--to someday live in a community made up of friends. When I read about the "New Jerusalem" I am very encouraged.

There was a time when others and I did not exist. I find it difficult if not impossible to believe I created myself. I was created--that means I need to find my creator. The idea of a creator makes sense to me.

My experience in life has taught me a lot about cause and effect relationships. I have also found out that human disturbance is mostly a function of human creativity. We live in our minds and if it is miserable inside us it is largely because of what we create inside our minds. As far as the Bible--it explains what is going on on planet earth and helps it all to make sense.

A recurring theme in my posts is creativity. I believe if I say it enough repetively like the evos do about evolution some might believe and become a part of our community of friends. The more the merrier. As the scripture says, the children of darkness were in their day wiser than the children of light. So I can learn from them. We learn by repetition. :mellow:

#9 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:48 PM

Everyday I observe all the evil and conclude I would rather live in a community of friends. I think that if I am "friendly" to others and myself then I increase the probability  that i can live in that community of friends. Thusly, I view  life as a training program for something better--to someday live in a community made up of friends. When I read about the "New Jerusalem" I am very encouraged.

View Post

You and I both, brother. :lol:

A recurring theme in my posts is creativity. I believe if I say it enough repetively like the evos do about evolution some might believe and become a part of our community of friends.

Interesting tactic.

#10 tube

tube

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Breda, Netherlands

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:51 AM

No i don't.

why would i?

#11 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:18 AM

I believe you exist. I believe I exist. I believe others exist. By deductive reasoning I therefore conclude that since the previous statements are  true and beings come into existence all the time, I have no problem with the idea that a being like us could exist. I have had experiences with evil (which would be anti God).  My experience with love helps me conclude that love is a much better choice than evil. To me to be anti God would mean I would be anti us--which makes no sense.

Everyday I observe all the evil and conclude I would rather live in a community of friends. I think that if I am "friendly" to others and myself then I increase the probability  that i can live in that community of friends. Thusly, I view  life as a training program for something better--to someday live in a community made up of friends. When I read about the "New Jerusalem" I am very encouraged.

There was a time when others and I did not exist. I find it difficult if not impossible to believe I created myself.  I was created--that means  I need to find my creator. The idea of a creator makes sense to me.

My experience in life has taught me a lot about cause and effect relationships. I have also found out that human disturbance is mostly a function of human creativity. We live in our minds and if it is miserable inside us it is largely because of what we create inside our minds. As far as the Bible--it explains  what is going on on planet earth and helps it all to make sense.

A recurring theme in my posts is creativity. I believe if I say it enough repetively like the evos do about evolution some might believe and become a part of our community of friends. The more the merrier. As the scripture says, the children of darkness were in their day wiser than the children of light. So I can learn from them. We learn by repetition. :lol:

View Post

Now that's more of what I was talking about Mike. I had a good idea that you would be able to explore this with much more depth!

Thanks for the post :huh:

#12 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:35 AM

No i don't.

why would i?

Which begs the question: Why wouldn't you? Had you read the OP, you would have realized two things... One - It was a question posed to "THEIST'S"... Two - It asked for specificity in the explanation.

Which leads to many conclusions when kept in the context of your spartan reply: Are you afraid to explain yourself? Do you not have an explanation? Are you merely being a troll?

All of the above is simply rhetorical, as the individual was banned for many-many actions (like the above). BUT, it is very revealing when looking into the mind of some atheists....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users