OneHourPhoto

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Melbourne

Posted 25 December 2010 - 05:50 AM

I had a big discussion with a few colleagues at work the other day in regards to Christmas and what it means to them. What surprised me about the discussion is that the two people I spoke to that are atheists, and when quizzed on why they celebrate it when they are not Christian they couldn't give me a straight answer.
So my question to other atheists, do you celebrate or at least partake in Christmas activities, and why?

#2 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:19 PM

I had a big discussion with a few colleagues at work the other day in regards to Christmas and what it means to them. What surprised me about the discussion is that the two people I spoke to that are atheists, and when quizzed on why they celebrate it when they are not Christian they couldn't give me a straight answer.
So my question to other atheists, do you celebrate or at least partake in Christmas activities, and why?

View Post

When I was an atheist, I celebrated Christmas. Mainly because it was a family occasion, I got gifts, and I gave gifts. I put no stock into the Christmas story at the time, because I didn't really understand the true meaning of it. Oh, I knew that Saint Nicholas was a real person, and of his deeds. But, not the real meaning of the real Christmas.

#3 OneHourPhoto

OneHourPhoto

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Melbourne

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:19 AM

It just stunned me that a lot of people are completely unaware of the origins of Christmas. And the fact remains we have no evidence that Jesus Christ was born on this exact day.

#4 OneHourPhoto

OneHourPhoto

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Melbourne

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:12 AM

Do you also notice that no other atheists (I assume some atheist members have viewed this thread considering the view total) don't want to to touch this thread presumably to not contradict themselves. Come on atheist members partake in this thread! :)

#5 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:22 AM

It just stunned me that a lot of people are completely unaware of the origins of Christmas. And the fact remains we have no evidence that Jesus Christ was born on this exact day.

View Post

The “Origins of Christmas” can be found in the text of Matthew Chapter 1, and Luke Chapters 1 and 2. To assume that the exact date is relevant is, in fact, irrelevant; because the celebration isn’t about the date, but the event. Therefore, I am not stunned that people are completely unaware of the origins of the “date” Christmas is celebrated on, because it is not celebrated for the date, but rather the person. Not the day in which Christ was born, but the reason Christ was born.

The fact that Jesus WAS born is of greater relevance, than a date affixed to said celebration.

There are a great many historical personages, that we have no “exact” birthdays for (Gaius Julius Caesar, Herod the Great, Cornelius Tacitus, Gaius Plinius Caecilius Secundus, to name a few from around the same time frame).

Christmas is about the Christ child, and the spirit of giving.

#6 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:43 AM

Do you also notice that no other atheists (I assume some atheist members have viewed this thread considering the view total) don't want to to touch this thread presumably to not contradict themselves. Come on atheist members partake in this thread! :)

View Post

By the way, there is a recent Gallup poll concerning this subject. If I find it, I'll post it up here. It should stimulate more conversation that is directly OP related. :)

#7 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:00 AM

Why do atheists celebrate Christmas? Well, I don't, but it is very tempting even though I have no religious reason to celebrate it.* There are beautiful songs written in Christmas' honor. The decorations are beautiful and fun (and most tempting to me). If you celebrate it then you can fit in with friends and family members. If you don't celebrate it then friends and family members are very upset. It is a reason to have a party and most people like parties. There are things on sale at stores because of the season. Christmas is a running theme at every store you go to, school (at least it was when I was a kid, the workplace, etc.). A lot of countries that don't have very many Christians still make Christmas a big deal, why do they do that?

*The only holiday JWs keep is the Lord's Evening Meal in remembrance of Jesus Christ's sacrifice as He instructed his followers.

My resolve not to celebrate Christmas was bolstered by an article I read about the "Star of Jerusalem" that people put on the top of the tree. If I did celebrate Christmas, I would definitely get rid of any and all stars that are involved as part of the decor. I do think my friends would like to know, but I wasn't going to tell them about it while they already have a star on their tree. That seems like awkward timing.

#8 scott

scott

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1749 posts
  • Christian
  • mississippi

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:18 AM

Why do atheists celebrate Christmas? Well, I don't, but it is very tempting even though I have no religious reason to celebrate it.* There are beautiful songs written in Christmas' honor. The decorations are beautiful and fun (and most tempting to me). If you celebrate it then you can fit in with friends and family members. If you don't celebrate it then friends and family members are very upset. It is a reason to have a party and most people like parties. There are things on sale at stores because of the season. Christmas is a running theme at every store you go to, school (at least it was when I was a kid, the workplace, etc.). A lot of countries that don't have very many Christians still make Christmas a big deal, why do they do that? *The only holiday JWs keep is the Lord's Evening Meal in remembrance of Jesus Christ's sacrifice as He instructed his followers. My resolve not to celebrate Christmas was bolstered by an article I read about the "Star of Jerusalem" that people put on the top of the tree. If I did celebrate Christmas, I would definitely get rid of any and all stars that are involved as part of the decor. I do think my friends would like to know, but I wasn't going to tell them about it while they already have a star on their tree. That seems like awkward timing.

View Post

The star on top of the Christmas tree represents the star that the 3 wise men used to find Jesus. Whatever you heard that was evil about it, must be none-factual, or a complete misrepresentation of those who actually celebrate the true meaning of Christmas.

We don't honor Christmas, we honor Jesus Christs Birth. I don't know what the 1800's fabricated Jehova's Cult thinks about Jesus, but to Christians, Jesus is our Saviour who died on the cross, to save us from hell, and to forgive us from our sins so that we might have eternal life, and then of course He defeated death by Resurrection on the 3rd day.

#9 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:51 AM

Here it is (I'm sure there is more elsewhere):

http://www.upi.com/T...34361293208465/

PRINCETON, N.J., Dec. 24 (UPI) -- Nineteen of 20 U.S. residents celebrate Christmas, including 80 percent of non-Christians, a Gallup Poll released Friday indicated.

#10 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:19 PM

The star on top of the Christmas tree represents the star that the 3 wise men used to find Jesus.  Whatever you heard that was evil about it, must be none-factual, or a complete misrepresentation of those who actually celebrate the true meaning of Christmas.

We don't honor Christmas, we honor Jesus Christs Birth.  I don't know what the 1800's fabricated Jehova's Cult thinks about Jesus, but to Christians, Jesus is our Saviour who died on the cross, to save us from hell, and to forgive us from our sins so that we might have eternal life, and then of course He defeated death by Resurrection on the 3rd day.

View Post

Angels proclaimed the birth of Jesus Christ to the shepherds in the fields.

Everything regarding the star can be found in the Scriptures. It first led the men to Herod, who was seeking to kill Jesus, then to Jesus. God then sent a dream or vision to the men not to return to Herod and then sent a dream or vision to Joseph telling him to take the child away from there in order to save his life. The scriptures are silent as to the number of men. The word used to describe the men is translated "astrologers".

Jehovah's Witnesses use the same scriptures as you regarding Jesus. He is our Lord and Saviour, our Leader, God's Son, the Messiah. He is the mediator through whom we pray to our Heavenly Father. He died as a propitiatory sacrifice for our sins and has been rewarded for obedience with the name above every other name. We seek to follow his teachings and imitate him in every way.

I realize that according to the rules of this forum Jehovah's Witnesses are not considered Christian, but your choice of words are hurtful to me. If you don't know what Jehovah's Witnesses believe then perhaps you should not speak out of ignorance.

#11 scott

scott

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1749 posts
  • Christian
  • mississippi

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:30 PM

I realize that according to the rules of this forum Jehovah's Witnesses are not considered Christian, but your choice of words are hurtful to me. If you don't know what Jehovah's Witnesses believe then perhaps you should not speak out of ignorance.

View Post

I can read what the Bible says though. The Watchtower organization is not Holy, nor divinley inspired. This much I know as truth, and enough to know a little 1800's misinformation isn't going to change the truth of the matter. It is Extra-Biblical, not Biblical.

Incorrect unbiblical 1800's Jehovah's Witness beliefs:

Jesus was crucified on a Stake, disfellowship, Watchtower being the only earthly representative of God, not celebrating holidays, no nationalism, so called Prophecies, and the denial of the Trinity/Christs Resurrection.

So instead of twisting the meaning of Christmas, and trying to associate the Star as Satanic/Pagan, maybe you should start representing the truth of the matter.

It is not my intention to hurt you personally, but you must understand I cannot uphold misrepresentations of Jesus, the Bible, or Christmas. You claim to have no religious reason to celebrate Christmas, but you do this with a fundamental lack of understanding of the true meaning of Christmas.

If you see my beliefs as coming from ignorance, then so be it, because my beliefs come from the Word of God, not the Watchtower Organization.

#12 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

I did not say that your beliefs come from ignorance. I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

#13 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:26 PM

I am glad to have found this article about the Star of Bethlehem: http://www.jwstruggl...ar-re-examined/

#14 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:33 PM

I don't know what the 1800's fabricated Jehova's Cult thinks about Jesus, but to Christians, Jesus is our Saviour who died on the cross, to save us from hell, and to forgive us from our sins so that we might have eternal life, and then of course He defeated death by Resurrection on the 3rd day.

Jehovah's Witnesses use the same scriptures as you regarding Jesus. He is our Lord and Saviour, our Leader, God's Son, the Messiah. He is the mediator through whom we pray to our Heavenly Father. He died as a propitiatory sacrifice for our sins and has been rewarded for obedience with the name above every other name. We seek to follow his teachings and imitate him in every way.

Here's the difference: Christians honor Jesus as the one and only mediator between God and men, as the scripture states. Jehovah's Witnesses say that Jesus is only the mediator for a select few, and the rest of Jehovah's Witnesses must benefit from associating with the select few. In this way the reality of the actions of JWs as a whole is that they have men (the "faithful and discreet slave) as mediator.

Jesus' name is above every name. The JW bible adds the word other. If you look up these scriptures you can begin to see the importance of Jesus' name. Philippians 2:10, Romans 14:11, Isaiah 45:21-23

There are many ways in which JWs do not imitate Jesus. There attitude towards those who are not JWs and towards those who have fallen into sin is just one example.

#15 MarkForbes

MarkForbes

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Waverley

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:36 AM

The celebration of christmas is indeed of heathen origin. It's basically a substitute for the Julfeast and there are similar holydays for non-Germanic peoples. Christmas day is chosen to be shortly after the days get longer again on the Northern hemisphere. So it relates to sun worship.

The following text points this out as well (I don't however vouch for everything there, haven't fact checked it):
http://www.simpletor...heRealStory.htm

#16 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:07 AM

When I first came to Christ, I was singing Christmas songs a lot because I knew no other hymns and the songs are about worship and honor to Christ.

The date chosen for the celebration bothers me, but I very much want to celebrate our Lord coming to earth.

#17 Salsa

Salsa

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1231 posts
  • Christian
  • Uppsala, Sweden

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:42 AM

When I first came to Christ, I was singing Christmas songs a lot because I knew no other hymns and the songs are about worship and honor to Christ.

The date chosen for the celebration bothers me, but I very much want to celebrate our Lord coming to earth.

I would'nt worry too much about the date, or for that matter, the origin of the Christmas tradition. ALL days belong to God, and if you in your own heart are celebrating Jesus on that day then Jesus is the one whom you are celebrating.

No one can take that away from you. :)

#18 falcone

falcone

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • Scotland

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:07 PM

Tim Minchin says it all for this particular atheist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users