• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#41 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:43 AM

Sorry, I did take it the wrong way, but that's because the way you said it. I did not mean any disrespect but you must realize that I don't view the word god as a proper noun. To me the word represents an idea, if you want to personify it and give it a name like Jehova, Allah, Jah, Yaweh, or Elohim then naturally I will capitalize the name. Unless you are suggesting the name of your god is God. In which case I will capitalize it when I discuss your god with you.

View Post

God is a title. I think titles are generally capitalized are they not? I could be wrong. The

Hebrew YHWH is translated as Jehovah in english, notice the H at the end, which is needed in keeping with the original tetragrammaton.

In addition, Elohim is not a personal name, since it is used for other gods as well. I am trying to find my Bible Encyclopedia so that I can look it up. I no longer have it on my computer as I had to get a new hard drive.

#42 philosophik

philosophik

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • ca

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:19 AM

I agree with your assement about both  sides.
What  about your personal morlity? I am curious. Do you think it is wrong to lie, steal, cheat murder or indulge in  gratuious violence?  Or is survival a reason to circumvent such rules? Would you rather live in an all atheist country?

View Post

Yes, I think all those things you mentioned are wrong. As far as survival is concerned, I think it depends on the situation. For example, if you lived in a society in which your leader was a tyrant and taxed the people exceedingly, and as a result of this you and your family was on the brink of starvation with all options exhausted, if you had a chance to steal food from one of your leaders abundant warehouses that were used only for himself with out getting caught, would you do it, or let your family starve. Circumstance is everything when it comes to morality. To answer your question about what kind of country I would like to live in, my answer would be I would want to live in a just one, in which all people are equal and treat others with respect and tolerance. I don't care what their beliefs are. If there was a country like that and they were all atheist, then yes I would rather live in an atheist country.

#43 philosophik

philosophik

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • ca

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:24 AM

God is a title. I think titles are generally capitalized are they not? I could be wrong.

View Post

Titles are not always capitalized, and the word god isn't always used as a title.

#44 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:47 AM

To answer your question about what kind of country I would like to live in, my answer would be I would want to live in a just one, in which all people are equal and treat others with respect and tolerance. I don't care what their beliefs are. If there was a country like that and they were all atheist, then yes I would rather live in an atheist country.

View Post

Would you accept this city if it came from the Creator? For that is exactly what he has promised us.

#45 Mike Summers

Mike Summers

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • Interests:Information theory, electronics, videography, writing, human psychology, psychotherapy
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Detroit Michigan area

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:11 AM

Yes, I think all those things you mentioned are wrong. As far as survival is concerned, I think it depends on the situation. For example, if you lived in a society in which your leader was a tyrant and taxed the people exceedingly, and as a result of this you and your family was on the brink of starvation with all options exhausted, if you had a chance to steal food from one of your leaders abundant warehouses that were used only for himself with out getting caught, would you do it, or let your family starve. Circumstance is everything when it comes to morality. To answer your question about what kind of country I would like to live in, my answer would be I would want to live in a just one, in which all people are equal and treat others with respect and tolerance. I don't care what their beliefs are. If there was a country like that and they were all atheist, then yes I would rather live in an atheist country.

View Post

So maybe you mighr want to run a disclaimer with your atheism; "I am an atheist but my morality is the same as just about everone else's.". That way others won't have to watch their back worrying about you getting them. ;)

#46 philosophik

philosophik

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • ca

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

Would you accept this city if it came from the Creator? For that is exactly what he has promised us.

View Post

I would accept the city if it was real, regardless of how it was believed to have come into existence.

#47 philosophik

philosophik

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • ca

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:32 PM

So maybe you mighr want to run a disclaimer with your atheism; "I am an atheist but my morality is the same as just about everone else's.". That way others won't have to watch their back worrying about you getting them.  ;)

View Post

That was my point, atheism has as much to do with morality as mathematics does. There is no disclaimer that comes with mathematics concerning morality, why would there need to be one with atheism. Your trying to put a square peg into a round hole, it doesn't work. I think a more appropriate statement would be "I am human and my morality is the same as just about everyone else."

#48 Mike Summers

Mike Summers

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • Interests:Information theory, electronics, videography, writing, human psychology, psychotherapy
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Detroit Michigan area

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:07 PM

A couple of years ago the NAACP had a funeral for the “N” word. I am afraid atheists may wish to do the same. The word atheist has been so associated with negativity by what people think of survival of the fittest and anti God ideas that its usage might be more hazardous than advantageous. What is gained by using it?

In some ways it essentially amounts to painting a bulls eye on your back and front and walking through a forest filled with hunters during hunting season. I can see you are a human—so what’s the label for? Actually I don’t go around telling people without them questioning me that I am a Christian. But even then I have noticed I often get better treatment sometimes when I do.

I try to treat everyone with great respect as I would want to be treated. So if you are an atheist with trust worthy character it does not matter to me all that much that you don’t believe in God (as long as you believe in treating me fairly). To me God is up to the task of showing you He exists if He wants too. He proved to me He exists. I don’t try to prove God exists to others but I am not ashamed to say I believe in God anymore than you would be ashamed to say you don’t believe in God.

#49 JoshuaJacob

JoshuaJacob

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Christian
  • Ponchatoula, Louisiana

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:47 AM

That was my point, atheism has as much to do with morality as mathematics does. There is no disclaimer that comes with mathematics concerning morality, why would there need to be one with atheism. Your trying to put a square peg into a round hole, it doesn't work. I think a more appropriate statement would be "I am human and my morality is the same as just about everyone else."

View Post

The funny thing about morality is, it is not universal. So it is not the same as everyone else's. Now do people borrow from others morality? Of course.

I know I heard that morality is an "evolved" human emotion, but lets be honest with our selves :wacko:

#50 Mike Summers

Mike Summers

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Detroit Michigan area

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:25 AM

The funny thing about morality is, it is not universal. So it is not the same as everyone else's. Now do people borrow from others morality? Of course.

I know I heard that morality is an "evolved" human emotion, but lets be honest with our selves :wacko:

View Post

Good point Josua!
Therefore, if morality evolved then so did the ideas of God and religion. But evo's don't choose to accept their own truth. If there is no God there would be nothing left to blame the ideas of God and religion on other than evolution. Wouldn't that be true?

#51 philosophik

philosophik

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • ca

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:13 AM

A couple of years ago the NAACP had a funeral for the “N” word. I am afraid atheists may wish to do the same. The word atheist has been so associated with negativity  by what people think of survival of the fittest and anti God ideas that its usage  might be more hazardous than advantageous. What is gained by using it?

In some ways it essentially amounts to painting a bulls eye on your back and front and walking through a forest filled with hunters during hunting season.  I can see you are a human—so what’s  the label for?  Actually I don’t go around telling people without them questioning me that I am a Christian. But even then I have noticed I often get better treatment sometimes when I do.

I try to treat everyone with great respect as I would want to be treated.  So if you are an atheist with trust worthy character it does not matter to me all that much that you don’t believe in God (as long as you believe in treating me fairly). To me God is up to the task of showing you He exists if He wants too. He  proved to me He exists. I don’t try to prove God exists to others but I am not ashamed to say I believe in God anymore than you would be ashamed to say you don’t believe in God.

View Post

I say I'm an atheist only because it represents my worldview, nothing more. What would you have me call myself in order to express my position? I talk about it with others because it's an interesting subject, I'm not trying to convert anyone. For me it is simply intellectually satisfying to discuss this topic with others who hold different views.

The funny thing is, the only people who hold such negative views about atheist are theists, more so Christians and Muslims. Atheist know that other atheist can be just as moral and have just as good a character as theists, that is why it is upsetting when theist attempt to shift the preponderance of the blame concerning immorality onto atheism, especially when atheism has nothing to do with it.

#52 Mike Summers

Mike Summers

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Detroit Michigan area

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:42 AM

I say I'm an atheist only because it represents my worldview, nothing more. What would you have me call myself in order to express my position?

Point taken but you express a little incongruence as you said atheism had nothing to do with morality and therefore a world view.
Everyone has a set of rules they live by. It used to be called a philosophy of life. Today it’s “worldview” the new buzz word. The best definition I ever read of it was written by Ayn Rand who deemed herself an objectivist. It is a good read—some great prose and very pragmatic. Find it on the web at skysite.org. Scroll down to Philosophy, Emotion & Reason and click. Enjoy.

The funny thing is, the only people who hold such negative views about atheist are theists, more so Christians and Muslims. Atheist know that other atheist can be just as moral and have just as good a character as theists, that is why it is upsetting when theist attempt to shift the preponderance of the blame concerning immorality onto atheism, especially when atheism has nothing to do with it.

I must confess I have given up the us vs. them headset you seem to express. Nor am I the "savior" of "my" people as you may tend to be. I believe we are all big boys and can and should fend for ourselves. I believe we are all individuals and are best experienced as such. No matter how difficult I think the best way is to treat people as individuals (that what I have concluded they are). I believe in the primacy of the individual and not so much the group thing. :wacko:

In terms of a name Philosophik to me and to your other friends whatever you tell them. I dare say that Philosophik is more of a blank slate than atheist and will allow others to more honestly “draw a picture of you” as they experience you. Atheist has to much negative baggage as I already pointed out. You entertainment value comments are the same for me. Interesting things to talk about for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users