Feb 18 2011 - Assemblies Of God Going Soft

2 replies to this topic

#1 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

Administrator / Forum Owner

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2467 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy going to Broncos games, my son's HS basketball & baseball games, and my daughter's piano & dance recitals. I enjoy playing basketball (when able). I occasionally play keyboards for my church's praise team. I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:41 AM

Just When the Science Backs Genesis, Denominations Back Off: Real Science Friday co-hosts Fred Williams and Bob Enyart discuss an article in Ken Ham's Answers magazine on Christian denominations like the Assemblies of God and the Presbyterian Church of America that are tolerating, or even promoting, a rejection of the biblical creation account of a young earth and the global flood. Bob and Fred talk about the billions of years of missing igneous rock, billions of years of missing nickel from meteorites, etc., all missing if the earthy actually were billions of years old. Also hear their take on Pi in the Bible.

Full show synopsis and download/stream available here.

#2 AFJ

AFJ

AFJ

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1625 posts
  • Interests:Bible, molecular biology, chemistry, mineralogy, geology, eschatology, history, family
  • Christian
  • Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

Just When the Science Backs Genesis, Denominations Back Off: Real Science Friday co-hosts Fred Williams and Bob Enyart discuss an article in Ken Ham's Answers magazine on Christian denominations like the Assemblies of God and the Presbyterian Church of America that are tolerating, or even promoting, a rejection of the biblical creation account of a young earth and the global flood. Bob and Fred talk about the billions of years of missing igneous rock, billions of years of missing nickel from meteorites, etc., all missing if the earthy actually were billions of years old. Also hear their take on Pi in the Bible.

Full show synopsis and download/stream available here.

View Post

I have had some experience in the AG. Are they promoting the gap theory? I believe this came from the Dakes Commentary on the Bible, which seemed to be popular with some back when I went to Bible college in the eighties.

As you might know, gap theory is a form of OEC, though most of it's advocates don't consider themselves that. Mostly because the ones I knew weren't concerned about science, they were attempting to explain "old earth" evidence, and left it alone.

#3 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

Administrator / Forum Owner

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2467 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy going to Broncos games, my son's HS basketball & baseball games, and my daughter's piano & dance recitals. I enjoy playing basketball (when able). I occasionally play keyboards for my church's praise team. I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:47 AM

I have had some experience in the AG.  Are they promoting the gap theory?  I believe this came from the Dakes Commentary on the Bible, which seemed to be popular with some back when I went to Bible college in the eighties. 

As you might know, gap theory is a form of OEC, though most of it's advocates don't consider themselves that.  Mostly because the ones I knew weren't concerned about science, they were attempting to explain "old earth" evidence, and left it alone.

View Post

The article didn't mention the gap theory. I don't have the copy of the magazine with me as I have loaned it out, but I recall a more generalized statement such that all views should be accepted, or something of that nature. One thing for sure is that the geologists in that church would not be promoting the gap theory, since its highly likely they reject a global flood (since it would remove their geological column, at least they way they interpret it).

Fred

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users