Photo

Why You Should Not Let Your Gas Tank Run Low.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:32 AM

Because gas prices are going up, people are tempted to let their gas tanks run low. Even to the point the gas runs out. Today's cars with fuel injection are very different from the older carburetor ones. You could run them out of gas and not have much problem.

Here are the problems from running your tank low:

1) Trash and impurities etc... Collect at the bottom of the tank. Running it low will suck the trash right into the system clogging the fuel filter.
2) When the tank runs low, the fuel pick tube becomes uncovered during starts and stops, and turns. The fuel pump sucking air makes it heat up. Reducing it's life.

You should only allow your tank to get as low as 1/4 tank and your fuel pump will last a long time.

Running out of fuel problems:

The fuel pump runs at high pressure for the injection system. It's RPM (How fast it runs) is actually regulated by the back pressure caused by the fuel system pressure regulator valve. When you run your car out of fuel that pressure that regulate pump speed is no longer there. So the pump runs super fast and burns itself out.

So it's best not to run out of gas. But if you find yourself in this situation. As soon as you run out of gas, don't try to start the vehicle. The tank is not going to refill itself so you have to accept what has happened. If you try to start the vehicle you risk burning the fuel pump out.

Fuel injection fuel pumps range anywhere from 50 bucks to 500 bucks. Labor can range from 150 bucks to 500 bucks. Towing would be cheaper then burning up your pump. Or tow trucks also make fuel deliveries (usually 5 gallons of gas) that are cheaper than towing.

Just thought this info might help save money for people who do not know these things.

#2 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:06 AM

Thanks Ike... This was pretty much common sense until the last fifteen to twenty years or so. Prior to that we were mostly shade tree mechanics of one level or another. But, as a society, we have become more and more dependent on professionals doing the majority (if not all) of maintenance on our vehicles.

Further, it's not that I object to professionals preforming the maintenance on my vehicles, I was just stating the fact that, when I was younger I could preform a complete tune up on my own vehicles amongst other maintenance work (replace the spark plugs and cables, fuel filter, breaks, change the oil, radiator fluid, transmission fluid and filter, rotate the tires etc...). But, due to new design features and technical specifications, tighter engine compartments, specialized tools needed, new sensor features (tire air sensors etc...) and such, it makes performing your own maintenance much more difficult, if not impossible. Added to that, is the fact that there are warranty implications as well.

So, with less hands vehicle maintenance time, the more skills are lost. The more skills lost, the more common information lost (etc...).

#3 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:36 AM

Having said all of that; I have explained the gas tank issue with my wife innumerable times over the life of our marriage; and yet it doesn't seem to sink in, as she continually leaves whatever vehicle she operates near empty whenever I go to operate them. :) :)

#4 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

I think it has to do with more of what a woman deems as a priority issue as far as money is concerned. Cars are not on that list as long as they don't have to pay for it. Find a woman who has only one car and a child to feed and the car gets on that list of priorities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users