• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#121 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

ROTA I appreciate the video and plan to watch it.

Interestingly enough, I was defriended and blocked by someone on facebook by refusing to denounce a Calvinist as a false teacher. I am not sure that I agree with this treatment.

#122 Remnant of The Abyss

Remnant of The Abyss

Bible Inerrantist

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Raised Catholic and became born again in college. Now I'm non denominational.
  • Christian
  • Southern USA

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

ROTA I appreciate the video and plan to watch it.

Interestingly enough, I was defriended and blocked by someone on facebook by refusing to denounce a Calvinist as a false teacher. I am not sure that I agree with this treatment.

ME, if you were unfriended by someone on FB just for refusing to denounce another Christian (one of Calvinism persuasion) then I agree, it's not appropriate treatment... if that's all it was about. Were there any heresies involved with this person? If not, Calvinism in of itself is not heretical in my opinion. In fact I've attended many churches with folks who believe in this. I don't agree with it, but the bottom line is that Calvinists are Christians just as much as many others... in other words they love Jesus and have embraced Christ as their Lord and Savior. Debating the fine points of the Bible will always see divisions where not 100% of the people will agree with 100% of the doctrines, but as long as the main tenets of God's Word (either direct or through application) are upheld then I see no point in denouncing. Now, for example if this person denied the Trinity or something major like that I think a rebuking would be in order. I'm sorry you had that happen.
  • gilbo12345 likes this

#123 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

He said that because I posted a sermon by Paul Washer (a Calvinist) and wouldn't denounce Paul Washer as a false teacher (simply because he is a Calvinist) then he would have to block me. :( Nothing else occurred.

#124 Teejay

Teejay

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Christian
  • Texas

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

[quote] name='Remnant of The Abyss' timestamp='1333806441' post='82925']
Being "nice" isn't good enough to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Redemption is not achieved by being "nice enough".

I notice that you and geode, the Mormon apologist on this thread, come from the same place (Bangkok). Are you going to defend Mormonism as well? What is your point of stating that they are nice?
[/quote]

RoTA and Somcha, and Geode,

I know that RoTA and I are on the same page in that we judge rightly that the Mormon Church is a false religion, that Joseph Smith is a false prophet, and that the Mormon jesus is a false god that does not exist.

Will you, Somcha, and Geode join us in denouncing the Mormon Church to be a false religion (a cult), Joseph Smith to be a false prophet, and the Mormon jesus to be a false god that does not exist.

The argument that "the Mormons I know do not believe this" or they are "nice" has nothing to do with the validity of Joseph Smith, the Mormon Church, or the false Mormon jesus. (By the way, the word "nice," when last I looked, is not in the Bible.)

TeeJay

#125 JayShel

JayShel

Former Atheist

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Saved July 12, 2007

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

For the record, geode was banned awhile ago.

#126 Teejay

Teejay

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Christian
  • Texas

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:50 AM

[quote] name='JayShel' timestamp='1334200361' post='83109']
For the record, geode was banned awhile ago.
[/quote]

JS, thank you for the update.

TeeJay

#127 Remnant of The Abyss

Remnant of The Abyss

Bible Inerrantist

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Raised Catholic and became born again in college. Now I'm non denominational.
  • Christian
  • Southern USA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

And also for the record, geode graduated from BYU, Brigham Young University, the Mormon university, the same one that turns out scores of Mormon missionaries every year. ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#128 Teejay

Teejay

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Christian
  • Texas

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

RoTA, As a quick aside, I noticed you were raised Catholic and now have found the Lord--saved by grace plus nothing. I, too, was raised a Catholic--even worse, an Irish Catholic. I can never remember seeing a Bible in any Catholic home where I was raised. I went through the Vietnam War not knowing if I was saved. That gives me a great amount of trepidation at times. Yikes!!!!!!! When I read Paul's letter to the Romans, a light came on, and I concluded: "Why did I not hear that I was saved by grace and not by works"? I tried to witness to my relatives, but I discovered that they were not really good Catholics and not even interested in the truth of the Bible.

I guess I "judged" Geode rightly when I challenged him to denounce the false religion of Mormonism and the false Mormon jesus. I think that if we held a gun to his head he would not comply. I not only have a problem with those who falsely represent themselves as Christians when they are not; I have a problem with those who will not reveal their true identies. While this is okay for Superman, I think that in debates such as we have on this site, a man's position should be clear. When the position is not revealed, then the person does not have to defend it. He can sit comfortably concealed and snipe. In the "Great Debate" between Dr. Bahnsen and Dr. Stein, Dr. Stein tried to take the "I'm not convinced" position (agnostic) and Dr. Bahnsen criticized him for this "undecided" position. I wish there was a rule here that would not permit "other" or "undecided" or "unconvinced" to debate in the theological debates. If a man does not believe in a Higher Being, he is an atheist. If he claims to be a Mormon, that's okay; but he should be ready to defend his belief.

TeeJay
  • Remnant of The Abyss likes this

#129 Remnant of The Abyss

Remnant of The Abyss

Bible Inerrantist

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Christian
  • Southern USA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

RoTA, As a quick aside, I noticed you were raised Catholic and now have found the Lord--saved by grace plus nothing. I, too, was raised a Catholic--even worse, an Irish Catholic. I can never remember seeing a Bible in any Catholic home where I was raised. I went through the Vietnam War not knowing if I was saved. That gives me a great amount of trepidation at times. Yikes!!!!!!! When I read Paul's letter to the Romans, a light came on, and I concluded: "Why did I not hear that I was saved by grace and not by works"? I tried to witness to my relatives, but I discovered that they were not really good Catholics and not even interested in the truth of the Bible.

TeeJay my friend, I was raised Italian-Catholic, so although I'm not trying to trump your Irish-Catholic, I think you know what I'm saying. ;)

Why did WE never see a Bible in church? Why did WE never hear that we were saved by grace and not by works? I can only conclude one thing. The Catholic church herself knows about these truths, yet doesn't emphasize it for a reason. The reason being money and survival of the Catholic church itself. For with the knowledge of being saved by grace, and grace alone, one does not need to attend mass and give money, do they? One does not need to pay for indulgences, do they? One does not need a mass for a loved one that has just died, to "pray them out of purgatory" do they? Purgatory itself is a made up scheme in my opinion, just to bring in the $$$.

Now, I may be wrong about all of this. But nobody will convince me that it doesn't make perfect sense to at least suspect these things.

So. The big question you may be wondering. Why did ROTA post "Raised Catholic" for all to see? Well, to show that I don't have a problem with Catholics, per se. Not even the Catholic church so much any more. When I first got saved I hated the church for concealing the full Gospel message from me. But I've outgrown that. The Catholic church is indeed Christian, and even though she is not perfect, she still does good works in the name of Christ. And people still get saved in the church.

So I can actually attend a Catholic mass once in a while and enjoy it for what it is. But I still roll my eyes, in my mind's eye, when I see certain things that the church does, says, and does not do. Anything that conflicts with the Bible. Yet I feel no more animosity. There are real enemies of the Christian church. Mormonism for example!

I guess I "judged" Geode rightly when I challenged him to denounce the false religion of Mormonism and the false Mormon jesus. I think that if we held a gun to his head he would not comply. I not only have a problem with those who falsely represent themselves as Christians when they are not; I have a problem with those who will not reveal their true identies. While this is okay for Superman, I think that in debates such as we have on this site, a man's position should be clear. When the position is not revealed, then the person does not have to defend it. He can sit comfortably concealed and snipe. In the "Great Debate" between Dr. Bahnsen and Dr. Stein, Dr. Stein tried to take the "I'm not convinced" position (agnostic) and Dr. Bahnsen criticized him for this "undecided" position. I wish there was a rule here that would not permit "other" or "undecided" or "unconvinced" to debate in the theological debates. If a man does not believe in a Higher Being, he is an atheist. If he claims to be a Mormon, that's okay; but he should be ready to defend his belief.

TeeJay

I love these words you've written brother! It is like getting my back scratched (but by a beautiful woman, not you, LOL).

The issue I have with geode is that he not only polluted this forum with his concealment and equivocations, he does the same on other boards. But only worse. He trolls Christians on IMDb and takes the side of the God-haters, EVERY time. See the posts above. He hates Christians and Christianity.

Yet this cult he belongs to, this anathema to God called Mormonism, survives because of lies, deceit, and brainwashing. And that's how some of it's ex-members are; they remain brainwashed liars. But not all remain that way. I knew an ex-Mormon personally at my old church. She PREACHED AGAINST it in the church! She was truly out. Yet here we have this blatant example of this Mormon apologist who has lied and continues to lie about his allegiance. Whether or not he is a practicing Mormon or not is moot. His constant defense of Mormonism is the proof in the pudding. The proof he cannot back away from, because words have consequences and his words in defense of Mormonism, over the YEARS, will stand as testimony to his true nature.

#130 Teejay

Teejay

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Christian
  • Texas

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

[quote] name='Remnant of The Abyss' timestamp='1337798828' post='84048']
TeeJay my friend, I was raised Italian-Catholic, so although I'm not trying to trump your Irish-Catholic, I think you know what I'm saying. ;)

Why did WE never see a Bible in church? Why did WE never hear that we were saved by grace and not by works? I can only conclude one thing. The Catholic church herself knows about these truths, yet doesn't emphasize it for a reason. The reason being money and survival of the Catholic church itself. For with the knowledge of being saved by grace, and grace alone, one does not need to attend mass and give money, do they? One does not need to pay for indulgences, do they? One does not need a mass for a loved one that has just died, to "pray them out of purgatory" do they? Purgatory itself is a made up scheme in my opinion, just to bring in the $$$.

Now, I may be wrong about all of this. But nobody will convince me that it doesn't make perfect sense to at least suspect these things.

So. The big question you may be wondering. Why did ROTA post "Raised Catholic" for all to see? Well, to show that I don't have a problem with Catholics, per se. Not even the Catholic church so much any more. When I first got saved I hated the church for concealing the full Gospel message from me. But I've outgrown that. The Catholic church is indeed Christian, and even though she is not perfect, she still does good works in the name of Christ. And people still get saved in the church.

So I can actually attend a Catholic mass once in a while and enjoy it for what it is. But I still roll my eyes, in my mind's eye, when I see certain things that the church does, says, and does not do. Anything that conflicts with the Bible. Yet I feel no more animosity. There are real enemies of the Christian church. Mormonism for example!

I love these words you've written brother! It is like getting my back scratched (but by a beautiful woman, not you, LOL).

The issue I have with geode is that he not only polluted this forum with his concealment and equivocations, he does the same on other boards. But only worse. He trolls Christians on IMDb and takes the side of the God-haters, EVERY time. See the posts above. He hates Christians and Christianity.

Yet this cult he belongs to, this anathema to God called Mormonism, survives because of lies, deceit, and brainwashing. And that's how some of it's ex-members are; they remain brainwashed liars. But not all remain that way. I knew an ex-Mormon personally at my old church. She PREACHED AGAINST it in the church! She was truly out. Yet here we have this blatant example of this Mormon apologist who has lied and continues to lie about his allegiance. Whether or not he is a practicing Mormon or not is moot. His constant defense of Mormonism is the proof in the pudding. The proof he cannot back away from, because words have consequences and his words in defense of Mormonism, over the YEARS, will stand as testimony to his true nature.
[/quote]

RoTA, Amen!

#131 JayShel

JayShel

Former Atheist

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Saved July 12, 2007

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

I knew an ex-Mormon personally at my old church. She PREACHED AGAINST it in the church! She was truly out.

That reminds me of MamaElephant and JW. She preaches against them. Her actions confirm she is truly a Christian.

Actions speak louder than words and by now we can all see his motives plain as day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo (1)