• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

Administrator / Forum Owner

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2444 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy going to Broncos games, my son's HS basketball & baseball games, and my daughter's piano & dance recitals. I enjoy playing basketball (when able). I occasionally play keyboards for my church's praise team. I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:21 PM

I needed to jump the gun with this since someone has already in so many words used this cliché when debating the other clichés. :(

There is a grain of truth to this cliché, sins are only "equal" as it pertains to the consequence of breaking just one sin: For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. (James 2:10)

However, if you think are sins are the same, tell that to Caiaphas: Jesus answered, "You could have no power at all against Me unless it had been given you from above. Therefore the one who delivered Me to you has the greater sin ." (John 19:11)

Tell that to the cities that rejected the kingdom gospel: But whatever city you enter, and they do not receive you, go out into its streets and say, 'The very dust of your city which clings to us we wipe off against you. Nevertheless know this, that the kingdom of God has come near you.' But I say to you that it will be more tolerable in that Day for Sodom than for that city. (Luke 10:10-12)

Fred

#2 Teejay

Teejay

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1479 posts
  • Christian
  • Texas

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:07 PM

=Fred Williams,Jun 1 2011, 11:21 PM]
I needed to jump the gun with this since someone has already in so many words used this cliché when debating the other clichés. ;)

There is a grain of truth to this cliché, sins are only "equal" as it pertains to the consequence of breaking just one sin: For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. (James 2:10)

However, if you think are sins are the same, tell that to Caiaphas: Jesus answered, "You could have no power at all against Me unless it had been given you from above. Therefore the one who delivered Me to you has the greater sin ." (John 19:11)

Tell that to the cities that rejected the kingdom gospel: But whatever city you enter, and they do not receive you, go out into its streets and say, 'The very dust of your city which clings to us we wipe off against you. Nevertheless know this, that the kingdom of God has come near you.' But I say to you that it will be more tolerable in that Day for Sodom than for that city. (Luke 10:10-12)

Fred

View Post

Fred,

This is a little long, but it will answer a lot of questions and rebuttals:

This is one of the best known and most often quoted Bible verses. But a Scriptural search will reveal that this is not in the Bible. It’s a cliché! The Body of Christ is ruled by clichés. And clichés are impervious to Scripture. Once these clichés are entrenched, no Scriptural references can dissuade.

The Punishment Fits the Crime

God’s criminal justice system alone should tell us that all sins are not equal. Understand first that all sins are not crimes (coveting for example). But all crimes are sins. A study of God’s criminal justice system reveals that punishment is according to the seriousness of the crime. This shows that our God is a just and righteous God. The First Commandment is the most serious: “Thou shall have no other Gods before Me.” The punishment for this is eternal separation in Hell. God commanded the death penalty for serious crimes such as murder (Gen. 9:6; Ex. 21:12-14; 20:13; Lev. 24:17, 21; Num. 35:16-21; Deut. 19:11-13), kidnapping (Ex. 21:16; Deut. 24:7), rape of an engaged or married woman (Deut. 22:22-25), h*m*s*xuality (Lev. 18:22 & 29; 20:13), b*stiality (Ex. 22:19; Lev. 20:15-16), false witness in a capital crime(Deut. 19:16-21; Ex. 20:16), killing a baby in the womb (Ex. 21:21), death in the commission of a crime (Ex. 21:22-23), criminal negligence resulting in death (Ex. 21:28-30; Deut. 22:8), and incest (Lev. 20:11-21). It should be pointed out that there were several symbolic laws for which God demanded the death penalty. Some of these were breaking the Sabbath law, witchcraft, hitting your parents, false prophet, and blasphemy. These laws were for Israel only, were neither moral nor immoral, and are not for the Body of Christ today.

Punishment for theft is according to the value, recoverability, and replacement of the stolen property. If the stolen goods were recovered in good condition, then the thief had to make restitution to his victim of two times the value of the stolen property (Ex. 22:4, 7-9; 20:15). If the stolen goods had been sold and are unrecoverable, then four times the value was made to the victim (Ex. 22:1). Your grandfather’s WW 1 rifle which is sentimental required a restitution of five times the value (Ex. 22:1).

Minor crimes, such as public intoxication, were punished by flogging. It goes without saying that without Jesus Christ as our Savior, any sin, small or large, will send us to hell. But the punishment will fit the crime. Read on.

Who Had the Greater Sin?

Jesus, answering Pilate, said: “You could have no power at all against Me unless it had been given you from above. Therefore the one who delivered Me to you has the greater sin” (John 19:11). Judas sat at Jesus’ feet for three years. Jesus said, “To shom much is given much is expected.” The High Priest of Israel will receive a much harsher punishment than the Jew not in authority. The High Priest sat in Moses’ seat. “Then they led Jesus from Caiaphas to the Praetorium and it was early morning. But they themselves did not go into the Praetorium, lest they should be defiled, but that they might eat the Passover” (John 18:28). While God will judge the whole world, He will hold Israel as a nation to a higher standard than He will the Romans for example. Much was given to Israel. God gave them His Law, prophesies, revelation of Himself. Although God has given the whole world general knowledge of Himself through His creation, Israel had received special revelation and knowledge of Him. And the high priest was tasked to reveal God to Israel. As the leader, he should have known that this was Israel’s Promised One. Instead, he was concerned about not defiling himself so he could celebrate Passover by killing a substitute Passover lamb. Ironically, the true Passover Lamb, Jesus Christ, was standing before him. How sad!

In Matthew 18:6, Jesus said, “But whoever causes one of these little ones [innocent children] who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and were drowned in the depth of the sea.” Why does Jesus deem this sin so terrible? Because the effects are tragic. Sinning yourself is serious. But sinning yourself and getting someone else to sin who will then get another to sin is tragic beyond words.

h*m*sexuals who introduce young boys into the homo life style will reap a greater condemnation. Their young victims will then possibly grow up to molest other young victims. Jesus scolded the scribes and Pharisees with, “For you travel land and sea to win one proselyte and when he is won, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves” (Mat. 23:15). Some will go to hell all by themselves. Others will take an army with them.

Woe to You Scribes and Pharisees

In Matthew 23:14, Jesus warned the scribes and Pharisees that they will receive the “greater condemnation.” He then calls them hypocrites, sons of hell, blind guides, blind, fools, law breakers, whitewashed tombs full of dead mens’ bones and uncleanness, sons of those who murdered the prophets, serpents, brood of vipers, murderers. And, after calling them all these names, he said, “…that on you may come all the righteous bloodshed on the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah. . .” (Mat. 23:35). Today, if Jesus made a “Woe to the Pharisees’ Sermon” He would be kicked out of most Christian churches for being too harsh.

Beaten With Few and Many Stripes

Jesus warned in Luke 12 that some will be beaten with few stripes and some with many stripes. “And that servant who knew his master’s will, and did not prepare himself or do according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. But he who did not know, yet committed things deserving of stripes, shall be beaten with few… For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required. . .” (Luke 12:47-48). God does not hold all equally responsible. A military officer who has graduated from West Point is held to a higher standard than a boot camp trainee. A police officer trained to uphold the law should be held to a higher standard than the average citizen.

More Tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrah on Judgment Day

Jesus warned whole cities that they would receive greater condemnation than the evil h*m*sexuals in Sodom and Gomorrah: “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works which were done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. . . . But I say to you that it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment than for you” (Mat. 11:21-24).

In the Book of Revelation, we read of the punishment for Babylon: “For her sins have reached to heaven, and God has remembered her iniquities. Render to her just as she rendered to you, and repay her double according to her works; in the cup which she has mixed, mix double for her” (Rev. 18:5-6).

Teachers Are Held to a Higher Standard

James warns not to become a teacher lest you are aware that God will hold you to a higher standard. “My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment” (James 3:1). The effects of false or erroneous teaching can have serious, far reaching consequences. And, the more important a matter, the more serious the damage. A false teaching on baptism can hurt, but a false teaching like “there are many paths to God” or “God will save everyone,” can mean countless lost souls.

TV evangelist Hagee teaches falsely that the Jews can be saved separately from Jesus through Moses. But Paul teaches that in the Body of Christ, there is neither Jew nor Gentile, male nor female, slave nor free. The Jew today is saved by accepting Jesus Christ. “No man comes to the Father except through Me.”

And then there are the teachers that Paul mentions in Romans 1:18 that “who suppress the truth in unrighteousness.” For example, the science teacher who knowingly teaches false evolution, the news caster who suppresses the truth because of bias, Planned Parenthood employees who teach that the babies are not persons, Christian leaders who say we should accept and love h*m*sexuals will receive harsher condemnation. This teaching is 180 degrees opposite God’s command to put h*m*sexuals to death. Christians should tell h*m*sexuals the truth. Then they have reason to repent. Why should they repent when Christians tell them they are most wonderful?

TeeJay

#3 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:18 PM

I needed to jump the gun with this since someone has already in so many words used this cliché when debating the other clichés. ;)

Tell that to the cities that rejected the kingdom gospel: But whatever city you enter, and they do not receive you, go out into its streets and say,  'The very dust of your city which clings to us we wipe off against you. Nevertheless know this, that the kingdom of God has come near you.'  But I say to you that it will be more tolerable in that Day for Sodom  than for that city. (Luke 10:10-12)

Fred

View Post

I believe that the Bible, when it talks about sins being different, is actually talking about sins that make God more mad than others. There are sins that warrant the curse of the reprobate mind. Then there are sins that are not forgivable.

I am in the process of researching this. I have not committed to anything yet. But it does puzzle me that there are degrees of sin, but all it takes is one unforgiven sin that God's grace and mercy won't cover and off to the BBQ you go.

#4 Teejay

Teejay

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1479 posts
  • Christian
  • Texas

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:19 PM

=ikester7579,Jun 5 2011, 05:18 PM]
I believe that the Bible, when it talks about sins being different, is actually talking about sins that make God more mad than others. There are sins that warrant the curse of the reprobate mind. Then there are sins that are not forgivable.

I am in the process of researching this. I have not committed to anything yet. But it does puzzle me that there are degrees of sin, but all it takes is one unforgiven sin that God's grace and mercy won't cover and off to the BBQ you go.

View Post

ikester,

A way of looking at this is that God is a just God who hands out punishment to fit the crime. In Saudi Arabia for example, a thief gets his hand cut off, which is too severe a punishment for the crime of theft.

In the Bible, God says that if someone breaks into your home and it's dark, and you can't see if he is armed, you can kill him and his blood will not be on your head. But, God says that if the sun has risen and you can see that he is not a lethal threat to you, then you can't kill him if he is stealing from you. Why? God commands restitution for theft and not the death penalty.

God will deal out a harsher punishment to one individual and lesser to another even FOR THE SAME SIN OR CRIME! God held Judas and the high priest more guilty than the ignorant crowd who shouted, "We have no king but Caeser." Whyi? Because Jesus said that "To whom much is given, much is expected." God would expect much more from Judas than someone who was not tutored by Jesus for three years.

Now on the matter of unforgiveable sins. For Christians today, in the Body of Christ, there are no "unforgivable sins." Christ's blood covers all our sins, past, present and future. If we comply with Romans 10:9-10, then the Holy Spirit baptizes us into the Body of Christ and we are sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise. Our salvation is assured.

Jesus warned Israel, however, that there was one unforgiveable sin--blaspheme of the Holy Spirit. This is my take on this, and I could be wrong. Jesus warned Israel that if they rejected Him, they rejected the One who sent Him (Father God). This is rejection of two persons of the Triune God. When Israel, as a nation, rejected their risen Christ and stoned Stephen, who was speaking under the power of the Holy Spirit, they rejected the thrid Person of the Triune God (the Hloly Spirit. This was a total rejection of Gopd and as such, was unforgivable. God wanted to give Israel a kingdom but they totally rejected all three persons--God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. This was the unforgiveable sin. But today, we have no unforgiveable sins.

But, as Fred points out, if you have not accepted Jesus Christ and put youself under His saving blood, then the breaking of one law breaks the whole law and as Paul points out: By the law law no flesh will be justifed. The Law is not of faith. Without faith it is impossible to please God. The sting of death is sin and the strenght of sin is the law. We have been delivered from the curse of the law by Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ nailed to the Cross the ordinances that were against us. And where there is no law, there is no condemnation. The whole unbelieving world is under the law and condemned by it. The law is our tutor to show us our guilt and to show us our need for a Savior. Once saved, we are taken out from under the condemnation of the law. We should not put put ourselves under that we have been delivered from--the law.

Sadly today, many church leaders fail to put unbelievers under the law, arguing that "this is the age of grace." Then they place themselves and their followers under the law (that which they have been delivered from). Confusion abounds.

I hope this helps.

TeeJay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users