Photo

Who Really Is The Faithful And Discreet Slave?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:06 AM

What is the significance of this scripture? Is it speaking of a person or group of people? Why or why not?

I ask with an open mind. I am questioning some things. <_<

#2 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:47 PM

What is the significance of this scripture? Is it speaking of a person or group of people? Why or why not?

I ask with an open mind. I am questioning some things. <_<

This is a good example of why I don't like other translations.

(KJV) Matthew 24:45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?

Slave = bondage.
Servant = someone who has dedicated their life unto another.
Ruler over household = someone who not only rules, but will be held responsible for what the household does.
Meat = the word to those with understanding. Milk of the word are for those new in Christ. Meat of the word are for those with more understanding.

God is all about freewill. When someone is serving Him like a servant, it's because they "choose" to do so. They can also choose not to. This is one of the reasons that OSAS (once saved always saved) is wrong. It takes away freewill and makes salvation into bondage. Because freewill (choice) is removed, you are bound into having it even though you may change your mind.

True love allows a choice always. Forced love forces bondage and takes away the choice to do anything else. God chooses us, but He also allows us the freewill to choose Him. Salvation is called a marriage covenant for a reason. It is because through choice there can be divorce. There are no slaves, only people with the freewill to serve, and the freewill to not serve.

#3 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:10 PM

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately the meaning between slave and servant doesn't touch on anything that I have been taught in relation to this scripture (as a JW). OSAS is not something that I have ever believed in. You say that the servant spoken of is dispensing meat of the word to those with more understanding? Could you add more along those lines? It seems there is a servant who is in charge of dispensing food to the other servants?

“Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46 It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns."

This is a good example of why I don't like other translations.

(KJV) Matthew 24:45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?

Slave = bondage.
Servant = someone who has dedicated their life unto another.
Ruler over household = someone who not only rules, but will be held responsible for what the household does.
Meat = the word to those with understanding. Milk of the word are for those new in Christ. Meat of the word are for those with more understanding.

God is all about freewill. When someone is serving Him like a servant, it's because they "choose" to do so. They can also choose not to. This is one of the reasons that OSAS (once saved always saved) is wrong. It takes away freewill and makes salvation into bondage. Because freewill (choice) is removed, you are bound into having it even though you may change your mind.

True love allows a choice always. Forced love forces bondage and takes away the choice to do anything else. God chooses us, but He also allows us the freewill to choose Him. Salvation is called a marriage covenant for a reason. It is because through choice there can be divorce. There are no slaves, only people with the freewill to serve, and the freewill to not serve.

#4 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:07 PM

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately the meaning between slave and servant doesn't touch on anything that I have been taught in relation to this scripture (as a JW). OSAS is not something that I have ever believed in. You say that the servant spoken of is dispensing meat of the word to those with more understanding? Could you add more along those lines? It seems there is a servant who is in charge of dispensing food to the other servants?

“Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46 It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns."

kjv 1 Peter 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

kjv 1 Corinthians 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
2) I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

To give the meat of the word before someone is able to comprehend the milk of the word. Would be like trying to teach a child algebra before they even knew how to add or subtract. The believer will only be more confused. This is why that verses says:

KJV Matthew 24:45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?

"In due season" is when the believers have learned enough to lay a good foundation of faith and are able to now comprehend other things.

To take it a step further of why it is important, the judgment at the Throne of Christ is all about this:

kjv Matthew 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

1) I was thirsty and ye gave me no drink = a babe in Christ not being fed the milk of the word leaves them without a faith foundation and are easy prey for the enemy.
2) I was hungry and ye gave me no meat = The more learned in Christ needing more of the word so they can teach it unto the babes in Christ.
3) A stranger = someone who does not know the word. To not take them in is not showing them the good news of the gospel.
4) Naked = A believer that is without the Word of God. Clothing them is giving them the word. Put on the armor of God, so to speak.
5) Sick and in prison = being in bondage to sin, and having an affliction due to demonic oppression or possession. To visit them is to give them hope. Hope will make them endure and seek Christ.

It is not only by salvation that we are able to reach heaven, it also includes whether we do the kingdom works to reach others to offer them the same free gift that we have. It's like the popular bumper sticker says: Christians are not perfect, they are forgiven. And what should be added is: And you can be too.

This is also why Jesus asked Simon Peter if he loved him 3 times. And then the third time Jesus said: If you love me, go feed my sheep. 3 times gives what was said the power of the trinity. Which means feeding the sheep the word is important. So important that we will be judged on it.

Now notice in the judgment of Throne of Christ, it is never brought up whether the sheep and goats were saved. This is because they are all saved which was the reason they had to be separated, so salvation was not the issue here. What was the issue is whether as being saved, they did the kingdom works (feed the sheep, offer the unsaved salvation etc...).

#5 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

Thank you for connecting the scriptures and spelling out the details for me. It was very helpful and I couldn't wait to share it with my husband. I love learning things from different angles and perspectives.

#6 Teejay

Teejay

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1333 posts
  • Christian
  • Texas

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

[quote] name='MamaElephant' timestamp='1310078526' post='73171']
Thank you for connecting the scriptures and spelling out the details for me. It was very helpful and I couldn't wait to share it with my husband. I love learning things from different angles and perspectives.
[/quote]

ME,

That verse has to be looked at in the context of Chapter 24. First, Jesus' first coming was not in judgment. Jesus said, "The Spirt of the Lord is upon Me because He has anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed; to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord [referring to Isa. 49]" (Luke 4:18). Then Jesus said, referring to ISaiah, "Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing."

After Jesus was crucified, the plan, as prophesied in Daniel, was for Jesus to ascend to the Father. Israel was to start immediately into the Tribulation (which they did). Jesus was to come back in seven years or less to judge goats from the sheep and tares from the wheat. In Chapter 24, Jesus is preparing his followers for the coming Tribulation and to be living their lives as if Jesus is coming in the next second. For example:

"Many false prophets will come in My name." (v.5).
"Lawlessness will abound" (v. 12).
"Many will be killed" (v. 9).
"Some will be taken in judgment" (v. 40-41)
"And unless those days be shortened, no flesh will be saved" (v. 22).
"Jesus likens his second coming to the Flood when people were drinking and eating, not heeding the warnings from Noah" (v. 38).
And, most importantly, Jesus warned them that He was coming back soon: "... this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place" (v. 34).

So Jesus is using an example of an unfaithful servant to warn Israel that He will come "as a theif in the night." All Israel was God's servants as He had a national covenant with Israel. If they had been reading Daniel, they would be profitable and faithful servants for Jesus warned that any unfaithful servant would be caught unawares and would suffer the consequences.

In ACts 1:8, Jesus commanded His followers to preach first to Jerusalem, Judea, and Samaria [half Jewish]. Jesus' second coming was contingent on Israel's acceptance of their risen Messiah. Thus we see Peter doing everything in his power to convince Israel to accept Jesus as their Messiah so that the "Father would send Jesus back and they would have their kingdom" Acts 3:19-20).

Sadly, the whole of Israel rejected Jesus as their Messiah. Patience exhaused, God cut off Israel, and their kingdom plans are on hold. Contrary to what the JW's or any other replacement theology claims, Paul writes, "I do not want you to be ignorant, brothers, for God will graft them [Israel] in again." God has a covenant with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob that He will keep. Israel will get their Kingdom.

TeeJay
  • Fred Williams likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users