• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:01 PM

Is this okay to say to someone? (I already did, :P ) The fruitage of the spirit are not something for us to work on... it is something that comes to us automatically when we have the Holy Spirit, and thus "by their fruits you will know them".

#2 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:14 AM

Is this okay to say to someone? (I already did, :P ) The fruitage of the spirit are not something for us to work on... it is something that comes to us automatically when we have the Holy Spirit, and thus "by their fruits you will know them".

Actually it's fruit instead of fruitage. Fruitage is a reference of time that it takes to bear fruit. The fruit of the spirit is what you get when you have the Holy Spirit and God's approval. So fruit is a reference to the gift and not the time it takes.

The fruit of the spirit is also controlled by God.

jn 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Salvation is a heart felt change, and the drawing power to which it is done is controlled by Father God. There is fake salvation which is where a person does this to be part of a group, or to just belong to a church. But it is not for us to determine this, only God knows which one a person has. Salvation is also the fruit of the spirit. A ministry cannot bring people unto "real" salvation unless God approves of them.

God's approval does not required perfection. If it did no ministry, or individual, could help lead someone to Christ. I suspect the leeway allowed is up to the point where they either make God's word into a lie knowingly, or mock God with their message. Because a ministry that adheres more to a doctrine and makes the word conform to it, is making that doctrine god. This is because when someone points it out that they are wrong using the Bible, they will revert to the doctrine being right denying the truth of the word. This is because they prefer the ready made truth of man, over the Word of God.

You see as long as the word is available to us to test doctrine, we are expected to do it. Example: If a certain law exists in a place you just moved to. And the city provides a booklet on that law which is different from where you moved from. And you lived there for months, or possibly years, and did not make any effort to learn this law. And you broke it and are now in court. Do you think the judge will allow you to skate by when you had more then enough time to search this out? There is no excuse for ignorance on purpose. If we are able to discern God's word, that is what He will expect us to do.

So the fruit is controlled by God as a show of God's approval. But, God will also hold back certain fruit from a person or ministry if they are not ready to receive it. There are certain fruits of the spirit that require a certain knowledge and Christian maturity in order to be able to use it. To give it before a person or ministry is ready can do more harm than good.

#3 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

Actually it's fruit instead of fruitage. Fruitage is a reference of time that it takes to bear fruit. The fruit of the spirit is what you get when you have the Holy Spirit and God's approval.

Oh, well the person I said it to said "Yes, need to read Galatians again! Fruitages of the spirit..." because her Bible translation says "fruitage of the spirit".

She said that she was having trouble getting along with someone she was working with so she was reminding herself of the "fruitages of the spirit" by reading Galations. That just didn't seem right to me, because if you have the Holy Spirit then that is the fruit. It doesn't seem like that is a list of things for us to try to work on?

#4 Salsa

Salsa

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1231 posts
  • Christian
  • Uppsala, Sweden

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:02 AM

Hi Mama, I enjoy your posts. You tend to stir things up a little. And with this post I think you touched on a very important issue - faith verses works.

Fruit is the obviously the result of a natural process rather than work, which is designed to produce wages.

My take on this however, is that we should evaluate parables within a given context. I think we still need to do a certain amount of work - tilling the soil, and so on - if our hearts are set on producing a bountiful harvest. But even here, we should keep in mind that unless our actions are inspired by the Holy Spirit they are worthless.

Consider what Jesus said: "A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet". By this we should understand that:

1. As long as we remain in the world, we will always have feet that "still need to be washed".

2. Since we are to follow Jesus example, we have been commisioned to wash other dirty feet.

Just a thought.. or two :-)

#5 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:37 AM

Hi Mama, I enjoy your posts. You tend to stir things up a little. And with this post I think you touched on a very important issue - faith verses works.

Yes well when I learned that lesson my whole life turned upside down (actually right side up, it was upside down until then!)... so now I share just in case there are others like me who could use some stirring. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users