#1 futzman

futzman

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • Tulsa, OK

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:57 PM

Greetings all. Richard here. I'm an agnostic and an evolutionist, but most of all I'm a truth seeker. I'm an amateur paleontologist and a professional software engineer who just happens to have quite a lot of formal education in the sciences, particularly chemistry and physics.

My primary interests relating to the evolution versus instant creation debate are the fossil record and the extinction and appearance of new species over time. I'm also very interested in taphonomy and paleoecology. I'm doing some independent research on the Pennsylvanian Period in Oklahoma, primarily because it's convenient and the fossils are fairly abundant in this area.

Richard

#2 Geezer

Geezer

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Judaism Orthodox
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • 3rd Rock from the Sun

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:32 PM

Shalom futzman!
Are you in the Davis Mts.?
I have done plenty of amateur stuff there - great place.

#3 futzman

futzman

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • Tulsa, OK

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:44 PM

Shalom futzman!
Are you in the Davis Mts.?
I have done plenty of amateur stuff there - great place.

View Post

Greets, Geezer. No, I'm located in Tulsa, OK. The geology in a hundred mile radius from me is primarily from the Pennsylvanian Period. Lots of criniods, brachiopods and rugose corals. My specific interest right now is in the brachiopods and their evolution, extinction and taphonomy. I also have collected some modern members of mollusca and some that appear to be fossilizing sans sediment, although I haven't done any chemical analysis on them yet.

#4 Guest_Aristarchus_*

Guest_Aristarchus_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:22 PM

hi Futzman

The geology in a hundred mile radius from me is primarily from the Pennsylvanian Period.  Lots of criniods, brachiopods and rugose corals.  My specific interest right now is in the brachiopods and their evolution, extinction and taphonomy.  I also have collected some modern members of mollusca and some that appear to be fossilizing sans sediment, although I haven't done any chemical analysis on them yet.

View Post

Sounds like everything is coming from an ancient sea. Too bad the Permian extinction wiped most of those out. Supposedly there are a few land vertebrates from the Pennsylvanian Period in Oklahoma. Anywhere near where those are found?

#5 futzman

futzman

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • Tulsa, OK

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:28 AM

hi Futzman
Sounds like everything is coming from an ancient sea. Too bad the Permian extinction wiped most of those out. Supposedly there are a few land vertebrates from the Pennsylvanian Period in Oklahoma. Anywhere near where those are found?

View Post

Haven't found any yet. I'm finding mostly bethic stuff like brachiopods, crinoids and rugose corals. The brachiopods interest me most I suppose, since as you indicated most were wiped out in the PE. Since there's only 100 genera that exist now, and there are 4500 genera of brachiopods in the fossil record, most of what I'm finding no longer exists.

I've only found one land plant specimen so far (Pecopteris) and some unidentified plant material from the underclay beneath a coal seam. I have found evaporate deposits (from when the sea retreated?) and skolithos in one cliff so I'm hoping I might find more land flora and fauna specimens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users